Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Breathless Performance CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Breathless Performance CAI

Saw this advertised and was wondering if anyone here has tried one?

http://www.breathlessperformance.com...exV2Rammer.asp

The ad sounds good but then the ad always does

Doug
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 PM
SquashAZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
I just bought a new to me 06 which has one. I have no reference as it is the only CAI i have experience with on the car. The build quality is very good and the guys a Xtreme Motorsports in Tempe AZ don't sell the Breathless but had great things to say (for whats that's worth).
Old 02-20-2010, 07:16 PM
wishmaster
Instructor

I have try BPP CAI on one of my X Z06 with cam,ported heads...etc i got 680rwhp whn i switch to haltech CAI almost i gianed 10hp on same dyno !!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wishmaster
I have try BPP CAI on one of my X Z06 with cam,ported heads...etc i got 680rwhp whn i switch to haltech CAI almost i gianed 10hp on same dyno !!

That says a lot for your Haltech unit.

However this one is supposed to be a brand new one advertising ram air........ something their old one did not claim to have (if I am reading it right)

Are we talking the same model?

Doug
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

That says a lot for your Haltech unit.

However this one is supposed to be a brand new one advertising ram air........ something their old one did not claim to have (if I am reading it right)

Are we talking the same model?

Doug
the breathless cai is the one i use and we made 612 rwhp with it
and been 9.97@139 with it n/a
Old 02-21-2010, 01:32 AM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I was down at Carlisle Corvettes and they installed close to 200 units there. They looked GREAT. I know Ernie Francis personaly, he's a road racer and tests everything he sells. I have seen the unit and it's 1st class al the way.

You should do the tune with the unit since you have a whole bunch more air going into the intake so make sure you get the updated tune from them for the CAI.

ErnieO
Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a Vortex Air Rammer on my C4. The quality of that unit was complete GARBAGE. Did Breathless Performance do a complete 180 with their quality?
Regardless, I will never buy a product from that company again.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Ladimer
I had a Vortex Air Rammer on my C4. The quality of that unit was complete GARBAGE. Did Breathless Performance do a complete 180 with their quality?
Regardless, I will never buy a product from that company again.
Don't know how they were in the C4 days but I can tell you now they are great!!

Haven't had a issues with them or their products. I have more than $2,300.00 in different products and love the products and their performance.

Also I have always been able to call Ernie Francis the owner and never been disappointed with our discussions. They have made good on some issues I had and I also learned some things that I didn't know with Ernie's help.

I will be going to Ft Lauderdale next week on business and let Ernie know. I received a invitation to hang with them over the weekend at Homestead for some racing.

Nice touch from them always.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 AM
bpproducts
Melting Slicks

The C4 Vortex system is not he same as the C5 or the C6 system. On the C4 system we use a plastic bridge to reduce the cost of the unit. The C5 and C6 both use the composite bridge and all the silicone couplers are included. Quality is by far the best out there.

If a Vortex system is tuned correctly the HP gains will be about the same as the Vararam if not more. To put them to the test on the dyno and not tune each one to the fullest will not give you the best numbers. Also both systems are ram induction system and shine at speed.

At that point it is up to you to decide which one you like by quality, fit and finish. There has never been any issues about the quality of our C5 and C6 systems. Positive feedback of the construction of our unit like the seals ( oem quality), Composite bridge, Fit and finish is very high. All made in the USA

Any customers out there please show your pics.

Ernie
www.BreathlessPerformance.com
954-925-7725
Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 AM
bpproducts
Melting Slicks

Ernie

Dont forget Sat at the track, we have about 15 Vettes attending. If you want you can always rent a vette to play with us at the track...lol We will be doing some testing of our own on our track car.

Ernie
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wishmaster
This is really not a good comparison because you cannot duplicate real world results on a dyno with the car being stationary. Dyno results do not give you accurate results as to how well a CAI kit really works.

Did you see the post by member rattt g? His car went 139 in the 1/4 mile with 612 RWHP on a dyno. The 139 number means more than the 612 number.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,092 Likes on 576 Posts

Doug

I took a slug of water in my C5 with a Vortex Rammer which took out the MAF and nearly the engine. That was the last time it was on the car, and any other "bottom feeder" on any of my cars for that matter.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug
I tried one for several weeks on the LS7 transplanted into my 2007 C6 and in additional to messing up the idle and part-throttle driveability, I picked up a blistering .04 seconds (as in fourth one-hundredths of a second) in the quarter mile with it.

And as for the performance of the stock unit that's in my my car now? I was able to run a 9.950 in my car in December with it along with stock injectors and intake manifold.

My advice? Keep you stock unit as it works quite well.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Strange replies here! I had my VaraRam for about 2 years. I live in Florida, where we get seasonal rain. I became worried due to the VaraRam snorkel being so close to the ground. Hence, nothing was wrong with the VaraRam. I just took precaution and decided to install the BPP Vortex. My car was tune with the VaraRam by Jeremy. Funny thing about it, with the Vortex the car seemed to be more crisp at idle and pulling off....must have been a great all around tune by Jeremy. I just like the idea of the air intake being a little higher in or to minimize water ingestion....peace of mind. Again, I love both units....just a matter of personal preference. I have the L92/L76 combo.... so it all depends on your set up.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

I like the way these units look. when the time comes...this CAI will be one to consider. I'm not interested in the so called HP gains. I just want the cold air and the timing not to retard as much in the heat.
Larry
Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
bpproducts
Melting Slicks

Yes it does look nice.

For fun here is the link to our new racing wing at work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BPProduc.../0/hcgIOZ7TX0E

Ernie
Attached Images   
Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Knowles's Z06
Pro

Sold mine..fit was terrible...I had the clear box it looked cool but it did not have a good seal around the box.. it had dirt in it all the time..as far as power differences..here is the proof of back to back test....Hallteck wins all the way around...here is the link..to each there own

http://masterenginetuner.com/Part_Co...s___Tests.html

Get notified of new replies

To Breathless Performance CAI

Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Interesting reading.....thanks.
Larry
Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM
bpproducts
Melting Slicks

Seems like you are the only one that did not like the seals of the Vortex system on the Z06. ( OEM Quality) But you have attacked us before on the forum anyway. Happy you like your Halltech system Eddy.

Very strange info on the Halltech. All the forum posts we read about put the Vortex on the top of the list along with Varraram. Looks like a one sided article for the Halltech. I remember some post of 1/4 mile tests being done and the Vortex being next to the Vararam but the Halltech not in the picture.

Either way our Vortex owners have posted some of the fastest times with there systems and love the quality.

Ernie
Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Knowles's Z06
Pro

Not an attack...just the facts...like i said to each there own for my build it was not the answer and the test proves it...the fit was terriable like i said.... mabe it was just a one off situation...I am speaking to my own experiance....Oh and by the way my 1/4 times have never been better since I made the change...

Take care

Eddie

Quick Reply: [Z06] Breathless Performance CAI