Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Zo7 Uncovered?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Zo7 Uncovered?

Some may have seen the infamous deleted thread regarding the faux (or not) sighting at Bowling Green, of a possible factory special extra secret modded Z06. Hence the new and improved of Z's.the ZO7.New Inferno orange color which BTW has been substantiated. ZR carbon brakes ,F55 suspension,probable motor performance tweaks etc:.My question is how much is such a Z going to cost,will it replace the ZR1 and ,of less importance to me, would this be enough to get you out of your Z's? or would we rather wait for the C7Z.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I give it 150,000 replacing the ZR-1 that is if it carries a F55 suspension.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm betting that a "Z07" option will be available and have to do with suspension and brake upgrades.
The car itself will still be a Z06 not a Z07.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I am keeping my Katech Z06!

Jim
Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 PM
ScottNC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to see how accurate my guess is so I'm gonna post here to keep track.

I think everyone knows by now that the Z07 RPO is verified for 2011.
Also, IMO I don't think there will be any power tweaks, and I think the LS7 will continue to be the only motor available in the Z.

I think the Z07 RPO could go 1 of 2 directions:
It will either be a serious hardcore package that will cost 10K+,
suspension/brakes package, with the F55 suspension, better brakes (possibly the ZR1 ceramics), as well as some possible weight reduction (Carbon fiber roof panel, possible hood, new lighter wheels, maybe some deletion options - AC, power accessories, radio etc).
or
a somewhat minor accessory package with just the suspension, maybe some upgraded brakes, with a couple of visual upgrades - sideskirts, spoiler etc.

Also, The Z07 RPO could be separate from the visuals.. ie. the Z07 could be the suspension/brake package, and then another RPO for the carbon visuals/wheels etc.

All we do know for sure is that there will DEFINATELY be a Z07 RPO - there will definately be a new oem tire...there will definately be 2 new colors... but everything else is up in the air.

Last edited by ScottNC; 02-22-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 AM
blitzu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“Alright ladies and gentlemen, I’ve been on my buyer’s tour the past two work days and my car came off late this afternoon… So by keeping my eyes and ears open TODAY I have some 2011 news that I would say is pretty darn reliable …and I don’t think they would go to so much trouble…I acted as uninterested as possible.

For 2011 there will be a Z07 — I don’t know if it will officially be called a Z07 or a Z06 with an extra option package. What those extras will consist of is a Z06 with pieces from the ZR1. From what I understand it will have a larger radiator (ZR1’s???) plus ZR1 stabilizer bars, shocks and springs plus the F55 **** on the console. PLUS the ceramic brakes from the ZR1 (a different color caliper — probably a darkish gray) and ZR1 wheels in the competition gray color. I’m actually pretty sure all of that will simply be a package for the Z06 along with another package that will have black outside mirrors (regardless of the body color), a black carbon fiber roof, and the front splitter and rocker panel extensions also in the black carbon fiber with a ZR1 spoiler. So I guess you’ll pretty much have a ZR1 without the engine… Kind of like getting a Z06 without the engine by buying a 2010 Grand Sport…

Some other stuff I paid attention to: There was a car coming down the line in a new color — it had some black mirrors too so I’m wondering if it could have been one of the Z07 models. The interesting color was a metallic orange. Definitely not Atomic Orange — could it have been the Sunset Orange from before? When I asked the name of the color nobody knew or weren’t saying. It was definitely a 2011 because there was a handwritten sheet hanging from the front. The seats were different too with some extra stitching and the two tone pattern was a little different on the seat bottom.

And I also over heard a conversation about the aluminum frame being on all Corvettes. The response I heard was something like “in the past stuff added to more expensive models tends to trickle down.” Sort of a politician’s answer I suppose.

I feel a little like my name should be “Scoop Newsworthy” or something… If all this is true or not, we’ll know soon I would guess. For sure I saw the orange car! And I believe the Z07 story…”
Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace

Jim
Me too, thinking of adding another one
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I thought this thread would garnish more responses by the time I had the chance to check it out this a.m.but many thanks to those who have showed enough interest to respond. Although I have no desire to trade up @ this time
I refuse to give up my "like new" 07 Z @ 15k miles, I'm very curious about both Z's future now and if or when the 7th generation enters the picture. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks if the loss of the ZR1 will occur and what the $ range of a ZO7 may be. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Ceramic brake option alone is probably $8-10K?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Exciting news that the Z06 will be getting some tweaks. I'm extremely content with my 2006 though, don't think I'll be getting out of this car unless the C7Z is a major advancement.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like this car is going the route of the specialty Porsche's GT2 and 3 with unique colours for the line up. I don't think a HP bump is in the equation just a more track ready demon with less weight due to the added carbon fiber goodies, brakes, better tires and lighter wheels and it will need a different badge designation hence the Z07.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

From the information on this board, I'll just accept that a Z07 option package is coming. However, if this is suspension, carbon fiber halo, and/or CC brakes, it is my guess the package is 10K at least(I guess if it is just the mag suspension, 1.5K or so) on top of a Z06 that is already in the northern 80K range. This puts a Z06 at near 100K, just a few K shy of what some dealers are pricing new ZR1s at right now(several posted below MSRP now). GM won't sell much of these, IMO, and would do better to offer power upgrades.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 PM
trickability
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Painrace

Jim
yep mine is staying untill ????????????
Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I just got my Z so no I would not consider getting rid of it.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM
ScottNC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
From the information on this board, I'll just accept that a Z07 option package is coming. However, if this is suspension, carbon fiber halo, and/or CC brakes, it is my guess the package is 10K at least(I guess if it is just the mag suspension, 1.5K or so) on top of a Z06 that is already in the northern 80K range. This puts a Z06 at near 100K, just a few K shy of what some dealers are pricing new ZR1s at right now(several posted below MSRP now). GM won't sell much of these, IMO, and would do better to offer power upgrades.
Yea, and thats the interesting thing...why would they put together a package thats gonna push 100k for the Z06 in the last year or two of the cycle?
Also, will they move the ZR1 up the line accordingly? If not, how do you justify the Z06 at near the same price as the ZR1?

This is my hope:
They will try to further differentiate the the two models as the p-car 911 series has done..ie. the Z06 will be the track rat that is ultra lightweight, great on the track, but not neccessarily faster in a straight line compared to its upper class sibling - and push the ZR1 as the ultimate GT technowizardy car - much like the 911 GT3RS vs. the new 997TT.
The prices may not be much different, but they will be catering to a different customer with the 2 models.
However, the problem is that the ZR1 is *such* a good track car..they would have to significantly boost the performance of the Z06 to get it to the point where it could be called the 'better track car' of the 2 models.

On the other hand, perhaps they are just trying to refresh the model by adding some nifty new stuff in hopes of selling more Zs in the last 2 years of the generation.
I'd really love to see a serious, 'hardcore' package for the Z. Rip out some weight (probably through deleting options), add some carbon fibre, better brakes, suspension..etc. They would sell a ton of them if they went that route.
Also, i've read in numerous places on this board that GM has always claimed that the ZR1 would be a limited edition run - from 2-4 years.
If this is true, maybe they are just moving the Z06 up a few notches in preparation for the retiring of the ZR1.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ScottNC
If this is true, maybe they are just moving the Z06 up a few notches in preparation for the retiring of the ZR1.
I believe the Z06 and ZR1 will continue as is until the end of the C6 production run.

A very light-weight Z06 track rat would be a interesting option, but even then I think the price change to get there would get better served by adding HP as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I believe the Z06 and ZR1 will continue as is until the end of the C6 production run.

A very light-weight Z06 track rat would be a interesting option, but even then I think the price change to get there would get better served by adding HP as well.
Darn it.....Another Orange Corvette!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thinking about it, they could offer some better seats!
The caddy CTS's get nicer seats for pete's sake.

Get notified of new replies

To Zo7 Uncovered?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:21 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Exciting news that the Z06 will be getting some tweaks. I'm extremely content with my 2006 though, don't think I'll be getting out of this car unless the C7Z is a major advancement.
From what I have heard from the ZR1 guys, the magneto-resistive shock system, with emphasis on system, makes a huge difference in the ease of controlling the car and its power, my my biggest knock on my 06 Z06.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6799
From what I have heard from the ZR1 guys, the magneto-resistive shock system, with emphasis on system, makes a huge difference in the ease of controlling the car and its power, my my biggest knock on my 06 Z06.
Actually, that's just as much the Michelins. Much better than the GYs.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:22 PM
bt1roush
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that in 2011 one of the new colors for the Z07 is Kona Blue...Now I must say that Kona Blue Metallic would look absolutely awsome on a sports car such as the Z07...Way to go GM...I'm putting my order in now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Zo7 Uncovered?