Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Chevy to Unveil Mystery Corvette Z06 at Sebring's Corvette Corral

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Keith@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 208 Likes on 60 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Chevy to Unveil Mystery Corvette Z06 at Sebring's Corvette Corral

I received an invite from Chevy's public relations to attend an event at the 12 Hours of Sebring. Seems that Tadge Juechter and Harlan Charles will be on hand Friday, March 19th in "unveil a new limited edition Z06 variant" at the Corvette corral.

We checked around and there is no special edition planned for 2010, hence the "mystery".

It's great that the Corvette team is refocusing its attention on the Z06 following the successful launches of the ZR1 and Grand Sports, two models that have encroached on the Z06's turf.

I posted this info on our Corvette blog as well:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/index...orvette-Corral

Guess we're going to Sebring!
Your Internet destination for buying and selling Corvettes.

Read My Corvette Blog
Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably will be the Z06 someone saw during a BG tour a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

This is good news for the Z06. Just hoping they don't move parts from the ZR1. Maybe a optional upgrade to the seats and interior? But still different than the leather wrap option.

What else could they change? Wheels, supension, HP, any number of things. Probably the addition of Carbon Fiber parts. Anyway its all good.

Leo
Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lighter would be nicer!!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:19 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Probably will be the Z06 someone saw during a BG tour a couple weeks ago.
What was that, exactly? Interested in the details.

For my money, if they did up a C6.R replica in 1LZ trim, with graphics and wheels for the street (not sure about the big rear wing, though), they could charge a 6-7K premium and sell them all.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
06Z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z06 with the Z07 package?
Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by vette4jr
What was that, exactly? Interested in the details.
See msg #6 in this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...uncovered.html

Z//
Old 03-06-2010, 09:02 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

With a current Z06 optioning out to the upper 80K range, GM is doing themselves a huge dis-service by adding parts to the Z06 that will push price probably 10K. Back in 06-07 when a Z was priced well in the competition range, GM had something going. Now it just isn't being seen as the value it was only 3 years ago. The one GURANTEED way to increase Z06 sales is a power increase. Government motors doesn't have the ***** for that.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

sounds awesome if so, this will get some buyers out of their old z06 and into the so called z07

Someone emailed the following quotes to me. Not sure of the source, but pretty cool info if it's true!

Quote:
For 2011 there will be a Z07 — I don’t know if it will officially be called a Z07 or a Z06 with an extra option package. What those extras will consist of is a Z06 with pieces from the ZR1. From what I understand it will have a larger radiator (ZR1’s???) plus ZR1 stabilizer bars, shocks and springs plus the F55 **** on the console. PLUS the ceramic brakes from the ZR1 (a different color caliper — probably a darkish gray) and ZR1 wheels in the competition gray color. I’m actually pretty sure all of that will simply be a package for the Z06 along with another package that will have black outside mirrors (regardless of the body color), a black carbon fiber roof, and the front splitter and rocker panel extensions also in the black carbon fiber with a ZR1 spoiler. So I guess you’ll pretty much have a ZR1 without the engine… Kind of like getting a Z06 without the engine by buying a 2010 Grand Sport…

Some other stuff I paid attention to: There was a car coming down the line in a new color — it had some black mirrors too so I’m wondering if it could have been one of the Z07 models. The interesting color was a metallic orange. Definitely not Atomic Orange — could it have been the Sunset Orange from before? When I asked the name of the color nobody knew or weren’t saying. It was definitely a 2011 because there was a handwritten sheet hanging from the front. The seats were different too with some extra stitching and the two tone pattern was a little different on the seat bottom.

And I also over heard a conversation about the aluminum frame being on all Corvettes. The response I heard was something like “in the past stuff added to more expensive models tends to trickle down.” Sort of a politician’s answer I suppose.
Also, Tadge Juechter, Corvette Chief Engineer, and Harlan Charles, Corvette Product Manager, will unveil this new limited edition Z06 variant in the Corvette Corral of the 12 Hours of Sebring on Friday, March 19.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
With a current Z06 optioning out to the upper 80K range, GM is doing themselves a huge dis-service by adding parts to the Z06 that will push price probably 10K. Back in 06-07 when a Z was priced well in the competition range, GM had something going. Now it just isn't being seen as the value it was only 3 years ago. The one GURANTEED way to increase Z06 sales is a power increase. Government motors doesn't have the ***** for that.
Actually, doing this, the cost to GM is minimal...typical raiding of the ZR-1 parts bin.

The cost to do a power increase probably isn't gonna play out over the short haul, if the C7 comes out as an MY2013 car. GM already has made clear the 427 SB is not in the cards for the future, and all things V8 will for the most part be based upon a 5.5L motor.

I would think it would have to be a 20-25+ hp increase to really help sales (Hey, maybe contract for a bunch of GM-branded K&N CAIs and new "530 HP" emblems? now there's an idea...)

I think the Z06 is really in a tight spot now though. ZR-1 is the top performance choice now, base car is the affordable/value choice, and Grandsport is the base car with some further sportiness infused in it, but without the extra horses that most of those GS buyers feel is something they'll never totally tap into anyway or don't want to drop another 15K for, in their minds, 69hp (yeah, I know looks, etc are involved as well).

I am anxious to see the Z07 pkg though.

Last edited by vette4jr; 03-06-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:56 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
thx, Z
Old 03-07-2010, 12:32 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

its a way to cut gm's price of zr1 parts,use more-less cost
Old 03-07-2010, 02:55 AM
ScottNC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, but if this thing pushes 100k (which looks probable), and there is no hp bump, or huge weight savings, how do you justify buying it compared to spending 10k more for a ZR-1...

I don't get it.

I'm excited to see it though.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond

I have a few older back issues were the Z06 was compared and the value was outstanding back in 2005/2006, fully loaded "as tested" prices were in the low 70's.

Today there is more competition in the price range the Z06 has entered, the GTR is being seen as the better value for instance.

In this economy GM did the wrong thing by increasing prices on the vette, it's played out with vette sales at their lowest point in years.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The talk of a Z06 with the RPO Z07 package, a suspension package with roots going back to 1991. Being a suspension package, I don't expect a power increase.

I'm looking for a Z06, with a promise of faster lap times by Chevy marketing, through suspension changes similar to what we saw with the Z51 equipped C6, and now the grand sport.

Though it is interesting to see the 2011 Z06 referred to as "the Z07". It will likely be a Z06 with an optional suspension upgrade and perhaps some other parts. I doubt that it will be another "model", but just the same Z06 with another option code available for those who want the option.

The RPO ZO7 code was introduced in 1991 when it was introduced with the adjustable suspension. What set it apart was the stiffer springs, thicker sway bars, etc.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/susp_chart.html

Back then, it sold for $2,550.00.

But like most options of today, RPO Z07 may come bundled with a few other things, hence the sightings of black mirrors and black roofs, carbon ceramic brakes, which may have smaller diameter rotors, etc.

BTW, that $2,550 option was available on a car costing $32,455
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...91/91prod.html

Thus it represented about an 8% increase in the price of the car.

The current grand sport option is a $5,840.00 option package and represents about a 12% price increase over the base coupe, which explains a lot of why the grand sport has been such a dud when it came to actually improving sales figures of the Corvette from 2008 to 2009.

Paying 12% more to get essentially the same, performance wise, makes no sense to many folks. The hope here is that RPO Z07 is a limited option, otherwise any significant price increase, is going to result in cars sitting on dealer lots just as they are now with the higher priced grand sport.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-07-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:46 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

well I guess we will see it in the tent....12 days
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Like this?

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
The talk of a Z06 with the RPO Z07 package, a suspension package with roots going back to 1991. Being a suspension package, I don't expect a power increase.

I'm looking for a Z06, with a promise of faster lap times by Chevy marketing, through suspension changes similar to what we saw with the Z51 equipped C6, and now the grand sport.

Though it is interesting to see the 2011 Z06 referred to as "the Z07". It will likely be a Z06 with an optional suspension upgrade and perhaps some other parts. I doubt that it will be another "model", but just the same Z06 with another option code available for those who want the option.

The RPO ZO7 code was introduced in 1991 when it was introduced with the adjustable suspension. What set it apart was the stiffer springs, thicker sway bars, etc.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/susp_chart.html

Back then, it sold for $2,550.00.

But like most options of today, RPO Z07 may come bundled with a few other things, hence the sightings of black mirrors and black roofs, carbon ceramic brakes, which may have smaller diameter rotors, etc.

BTW, that $2,550 option was available on a car costing $32,455
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...91/91prod.html

Thus it represented about an 8% increase in the price of the car.

The current grand sport option is a $5,840.00 option package and represents about a 12% price increase over the base coupe, which explains a lot of why the grand sport has been such a dud when it came to actually improving sales figures of the Corvette from 2008 to 2009.

Paying 12% more to get essentially the same, performance wise, makes no sense to many folks. The hope here is that RPO Z07 is a limited option, otherwise any significant price increase, is going to result in cars sitting on dealer lots just as they are now with the higher priced grand sport.
630 BHP / 570 lbs ft of torque

See chassis dyno sheet

Package Includes:

- Engine removal & removal of intake manifold, cylinder heads, camshaft
- Lingenfelter CNC porting & polishing of cylinder heads for optimal flow
- Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job & surfacing for 11.5:1 compression
- Ferrea high performance dual valve springs, titanium retainers & valve locks
- Lingenfelter ZO6 GT19 camshaft by Competition Cams
- Lingenfelter High Flow C6 ZO6 Air Induction & 4" diameter Lingenfelter Mass Air Sensor
- Port Matched LS7 intake manifold
- Ported and polished LS7 throttle body
- GM Head gaskets & head bolts
- 160 degree thermostat
- Professional engine assembly and degreeing of camshaft.
- Professional engine installation, testing & tuning
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely effected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

Package price - $10,146.00

I think what we're seeing is the influence of the "new" generation Corvette buyer, the emphasis on style, packaging ala Porsche etc that came into the Corvette family with the C5. We now have two types, the traditional, give me power and I'll wire the doors back on and the give me style and that's plenty of power now. Then's there's the middle ground of, give me a certain minimal quality/stye and put the rest into power. We'll see how it all works out. Actually the power increase wouldn't have to be more than 20 to 40. Just enough to make bragging rights.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy to Unveil Mystery Corvette Z06 at Sebring's Corvette Corral

Old 03-07-2010, 09:48 AM
yellowvette837
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03 thru'19
Tampa Events Princess
2015 C6 of Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Keith@VetteFinders

Guess we're going to Sebring!
Do you need tickets?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...post1573334582
Old 03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

could the new goodyear tires have something to do with the rumored z07?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 AM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
630 BHP / 570 lbs ft of torque

See chassis dyno sheet

Package Includes:

- Engine removal & removal of intake manifold, cylinder heads, camshaft
- Lingenfelter CNC porting & polishing of cylinder heads for optimal flow
- Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job & surfacing for 11.5:1 compression
- Ferrea high performance dual valve springs, titanium retainers & valve locks
- Lingenfelter ZO6 GT19 camshaft by Competition Cams
- Lingenfelter High Flow C6 ZO6 Air Induction & 4" diameter Lingenfelter Mass Air Sensor
- Port Matched LS7 intake manifold
- Ported and polished LS7 throttle body
- GM Head gaskets & head bolts
- 160 degree thermostat
- Professional engine assembly and degreeing of camshaft.
- Professional engine installation, testing & tuning
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely effected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

Package price - $10,146.00

I think what we're seeing is the influence of the "new" generation Corvette buyer, the emphasis on style, packaging ala Porsche etc that came into the Corvette family with the C5. We now have two types, the traditional, give me power and I'll wire the doors back on and the give me style and that's plenty of power now. Then's there's the middle ground of, give me a certain minimal quality/stye and put the rest into power. We'll see how it all works out. Actually the power increase wouldn't have to be more than 20 to 40. Just enough to make bragging rights.
yeah, but this LPE pkg and the Livernois Stage 3 pkg, + an under 10K miles used '06 Z06 = 55K for a ZR-1 beating car, output wise.

throw another 5K in susp. upgrades, and you have an NA car that can stay with if not beat the ZR-1 at the track for half the cost of a new ZR-1 (3ZR).

Hell, even if you go the SC route on the car above instead of H/C/I, the price is still about the same.

It's still fine for GM to throw out a z07 pkg, but yeah, can't push the price too much. I'm thinking it will have to keep a 2011 3LZ Z06 at 89900 or under. 90K is too much and to close to ZR1 territory IMHO. which puts the z07 pkg price needing to be at ~5K or under.

So I'm going with a guess that z07 = F55 susp., special painted wheels, ZR-1 brakes, ZR-1 spoiler, ZR-1 front lip, and some paint / graphics changes. Price = $4,895

Last edited by vette4jr; 03-07-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Chevy to Unveil Mystery Corvette Z06 at Sebring's Corvette Corral