Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who is running with a STOCK tune Killer Bee, Bee Hive, and Vette Air Scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Who is running with a STOCK tune Killer Bee, Bee Hive, and Vette Air Scoop?

Seems to be several different opinions about whether you can run all 3 of these items on a stock tuned C6 Z without getting a tune. I have 2 of the 3 items (original Killer Bee and Bee Hive) installed on my 06 Z with 0 issues, and thinking of adding the vette air, but the last thing I want to do is add it, and then have a check engine light come on, etc.

The vendors of these 2 great products have been very helpful and have said no problemo running these 3 CAI items on a stock Z, and I am not questioning their knowledge, but just want to hear from some guys actually doing this on a stock tune on their Z without any issues whatsoever, who have 100% neutral opinions based upon their own personal experience with their Zs.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 04-14-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I ran the killer bee without a tune for about a month. The AFR was still safe and I never had a problem. I think Halltech said expect around 10hp from the intake without a tune.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by EX1
I ran the killer bee without a tune for about a month. The AFR was still safe and I never had a problem. I think Halltech said expect around 10hp from the intake without a tune.
Thanks for the input , but I am looking for specific info regarding who was running all of the following 3 CAI items at the same time, on a stock tune, with no check engine lights or other issues. If you were running all of these 3 specific CAI intake items please let me know.

1. Original style C6 Z06 Killer Bee
2. Original style C6 Z06 Bee Hive
3. Vette Air Scoop

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:13 AM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
Thanks for the input , but I am looking for specific info regarding who was running all of the following 3 CAI items at the same time, on a stock tune, with no check engine lights or other issues. If you were running all of these 3 specific CAI intake items please let me know.

3. Vette Air Scoop

Thanks in advance.
Well the bee hive and scoop just affect the IAT temps and provide more "fresh" air while keeping heat soak away. If you were going to get a code it would come from the intake, and a killer bee won't give you one.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

3. Vette Air Scoop

Thanks in advance.
You and I are looking for the same info. I would also ask if anybody can quantify or describe any improvement in performance by adding the Vette Air scoop when you already have the other two- again, with a stock tune.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I run the Killer Bee, the BeeHive, and the Vette Air Scoop with the stock tune on my 07 Z06. I installed them just after I bought the car (new) and have never had a problem, check engine light or otherwise. VERY happy with the combination.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I run the Killer Bee, the BeeHive, and the Vette Air Scoop with the stock tune on my 07 Z06. I installed them just after I bought the car (new) and have never had a problem, check engine light or otherwise. VERY happy with the combination.

BINGO JOHNNY, that is the EXACT type of feedback we are looking for with this thread. How many miles on your set-up and thanks!

Trust me, if it was not for voiding my GM Major Guard Extended Warranty I would be excited about getting a tune, which I know would pick me up at least 20rwhp with the CAI and a 160 thermostat, but just not worth jeopardizing the GM Warranty at this point and that is why posted this thread.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Good info- thanks. Did you run the car long enough stock to determine how much performance you gained by putting these parts on?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

There has to be a few more guys running around hear with these 3 Cai parts on a stock tune, don't be shy now.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 AM
GotMoJo
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought an 07 Z that came with those mods plus, AR headers and a stock tune. The car didn't have any problems with codes but the gas mileage was terrible. Once I got it tuned though, the mileage improved.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Stock tune and KB here. Car runs great and has been doing so for 8 months now.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 1.8t
Stock tune and KB here. Car runs great and has been doing so for 8 months now.

Thanks for your post.

Are you running the Killer Bee, Bee Hive, and Vette Air Scoop, all together, or no?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry, but two years ago I had only 2 out of 3 like you right now and your looking for input from those with all three, so bear with me here.

A week after I installed the Vette-Air and Killer Bee I took it to probably one of the best tuners in the NW and maybe the left coast for that matter.

He used the Tech-2 Diagnosis tool which is used by GM and made 3 pulls on a Mustang Dyno with a high powered fan aimed at the front grille.

After the first pull, he remarked that the fuel trims at the low and higher RPM range were too lean, 13.5-13.7 Obviously too lean is not good and I also notice that after the mods, the MPG were down.

TW took care of the fuel trims much like stated earlier by Carlos in your "Gimmick" thread.
Originally Posted by Myhardtop
I tune for A/F between 12.2 and 12.5 knowing that additional air will be ingested into the engine as the car is driven on the road and therefore, having the fuel available for the additional air.

Dynos cannot duplicate the air speed or amount of air being sucked in to the MAF when a car travels 70 mph or faster. Many years of street tuning with my WB has shown me that AF ratio between 12.2 and 12.5 is what most C6Z's like best.
The first pull yielded 446 rwhp and after the 2nd and 3rd pulls with retuning, yielded 478 rwhp and Mustang Dyno's tend to be on the low side.

After the tune, the Z was amazingly faster, smoother and I got much better MPG to boot. It gave me peace of mind that the tune may have also prevented possible damage to the engine.

Recently I added the Bee Hive and took it back to the tuner to have a look at the trims to be safe. Only a very minor adjustment was needed.

I understand that your concerned about voiding your warranty but you are the one making the decision, to mod and tune or not mod and tune.

Last edited by CJ1957; 04-14-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Brain-Fade
Old 04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

BINGO JOHNNY, that is the EXACT type of feedback we are looking for with this thread. How many miles on your set-up and thanks!

Trust me, if it was not for voiding my GM Major Guard Extended Warranty I would be excited about getting a tune, which I know would pick me up at least 20rwhp with the CAI and a 160 thermostat, but just not worth jeopardizing the GM Warranty at this point and that is why posted this thread.
Don't have a whole lot of miles on it. Just under 5000. The Killer Bee is a nice intake that is well made but the Beehive and Vette Air scoop really make the difference and are the cheapest parts. They isolate the intake from the hot under hood air. At air temps of around 100 degrees your computer will pull just over 12 degrees of timing from your motor. 12 degrees is a boatload of timing (and horsepower). I actually used a remote temp sensor by the filter to check intake inlet temps and was really surprised at the difference. With the stock setup, 65 degrees outside air temp, your inlet air temp would be over 100 degrees sitting at a stop light for 60 seconds. There goes your 12 degrees of timing.... With the scoop and Beehive, temps remained within 5 degrees of OAT after 2 mins. The whole setup sounds better, looks better, and flat out works.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Slwsvt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJ1957
Sorry, but two years ago I had only 2 out of 3 like you right now and your looking for input from those with all three, so bear with me here.

A week after I installed the Vette-Air and Killer Bee I took it to probably one of the best tuners in the NW and maybe the left coast for that matter.

He used the Tech-2 Diagnosis tool which is used by GM and made 3 pulls on a Mustang Dyno with a high powered fan aimed at the front grille.

After the first pull, he remarked that the fuel trims at the low and higher RPM range were too lean, 11.5-11.7 Obviously too lean is not good and I also notice that after the mods, the MPG were down.

TW took care of the fuel trims much like stated earlier by Carlos in your "Gimmick" thread.

The first pull yielded 446 rwhp and after the 2nd and 3rd pulls with retuning, yielded 478 rwhp and Mustang Dyno's tend to be on the low side.

After the tune, the Z was amazingly faster, smoother and I got much better MPG to boot. It gave me peace of mind that the tune may have also prevented possible damage to the engine.

Recently I added the Bee Hive and took it back to the tuner to have a look at the trims to be safe. Only a very minor adjustment was needed.

I understand that your concerned about voiding your warranty but you are the one making the decision, to mod and tune or not mod and tune.
I might of misunderstood your post, but how is 11.5-11.7 to lean and poor mpg? That is exactly running rich, which would explain the poor mpg.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:24 PM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Slwsvt
I might of misunderstood your post, but how is 11.5-11.7 to lean and poor mpg? That is exactly running rich, which would explain the poor mpg.
I do apologies for stating 11.5-11.7. I should have said 13.5-13.7

I verified the correct numbers with the tuner before re-posting the above correct numbers.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ1957
I do apologies for stating 11.5-11.7. I should have said 13.5-13.7

I verified the correct numbers with the tuner before re-posting the above correct numbers.

These C6Z's run best between 12.2 and 12.5

Trust me, I've tuned at 100 of them with all types of combos

Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To Who is running with a STOCK tune Killer Bee, Bee Hive, and Vette Air Scoop?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:46 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't have a whole lot of miles on it. Just under 5000. The Killer Bee is a nice intake that is well made but the Beehive and Vette Air scoop really make the difference and are the cheapest parts. They isolate the intake from the hot under hood air. At air temps of around 100 degrees your computer will pull just over 12 degrees of timing from your motor. 12 degrees is a boatload of timing (and horsepower). I actually used a remote temp sensor by the filter to check intake inlet temps and was really surprised at the difference. With the stock setup, 65 degrees outside air temp, your inlet air temp would be over 100 degrees sitting at a stop light for 60 seconds. There goes your 12 degrees of timing.... With the scoop and Beehive, temps remained within 5 degrees of OAT after 2 mins. The whole setup sounds better, looks better, and flat out works.
Hope this helps.
Good way to test Mr Grant, we tested almost the same way back in late 2005!

Thanks,
Carlos

Oh yeah, the set up does WORKS!!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 PM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

So what can we "warranty-chickens" expect to see performance-wise if we run the standard/original Killer Bee, Beehive, and Vette-Air scoop with the stock tune? How much more HP and torque is reasonable to expect? Specifically, I'm running 160-165 mph consistently in the standing mile here in S.FL. (once in Oct, again in Apr), all stock except for an MGW short-throw. Is it reasonable for me to expect 175+ mph (all things being considered equal)?

Last edited by CudjoeScott; 04-14-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by CudjoeScott
So what can we "warranty-chickens" expect to see performance-wise if we run the standard/original Killer Bee, Beehive, and Vette-Air scoop with the stock tune? How much more HP and torque is reasonable to expect? Specifically, I'm running 160-165 mph consistently in the standing mile here in S.FL. (once in Oct, again in Apr), all stock except for an MGW short-throw. Is it reasonable for me to expect 175+ mph (all things being considered equal)?
Although the CAI systems which are the subject are this thread comprise a great CAI system for our C6 Zs, and I am about to call Carlos and order my Vette Air Set-up, me no thinky 15 to 20 more horsepower is going to add 10 mph to your standing mile speed on a bone stock Z with no tune.

Now if you tune it, that could be another story but still don't think it would get you an extra 10 mph+.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 04-14-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who is running with a STOCK tune Killer Bee, Bee Hive, and Vette Air Scoop?