Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Competiton Grey Z06 wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Competiton Grey Z06 wheel question

I'm trying to round up a set of comp grey Z06 rims (2006-7 style not the spiders).

Do these wheels (or do wheels at all) have a specific part number? If not, can anyone who bought their car with these wheels pm me a vin? As a gm employee I can lookup oem parts by vin or part number in the system, but I don't have either to work with.

Before some say call so and so....I've dealt with some of the forum vendors and several wheel retailers, and I appreciate them being upfront about the OEM competition grey rim they sell not always being the correct shade. I am just not willing to risk/accept that, I know it should match the centercap with no exceptions if it is correct.

I appreciate any help in advance on this!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
rsmithuf
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a set of comp gray speedlines from house of wheels that were not in the correct shade. I think I would have done something about it but I didn't notice until after I had tires mounted and put the center caps on that I bought independently from a dealer. The caps were much much darker and the correct color I wanted.

Since its nearly impossible to "buy" the wheels new and I already have the OEM Speedlines, on the next set of tires I plan on getting the wheels painted to the correct GM color. I think you can find the paint code if you do a search.

Other than that, you probably just need to wait it out until you can find a mint set of used wheels. However they get snapped up quick and for a high price usually.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 79 Posts

they are the q44 option. i don't know the part number but i remember that.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

rsmithuf - Thanks, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I have found that thread you are referring to with the paint code. If I cant get a part # or vin to go through GM directly I may get raw wheels and have them powder coated locally, or just buy the replicas locally despite their 3-5lb per wheel weight penalty. Ugggh.

jerseydrew - Thanks, thats all that I can find as well.

I appreciate the help guys. I am in love with the comp grey look that I had on my previous Z, and I'm itching to go back to that.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
jasonn5
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Comp Grey Wheels

Oh No.. I just bought a set of OEM comp grey's from House of Wheels. Is there any recourse if they are not the correct shade of grey? How is Bob to deal with that sort of problem?.. Thanks..Mike
Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
rsmithuf - Thanks, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I have found that thread you are referring to with the paint code. If I cant get a part # or vin to go through GM directly I may get raw wheels and have them powder coated locally, or just buy the replicas locally despite their 3-5lb per wheel weight penalty. Ugggh.

jerseydrew - Thanks, thats all that I can find as well.

I appreciate the help guys. I am in love with the comp grey look that I had on my previous Z, and I'm itching to go back to that.
OEM silver takeoffs are plentiful. Since you're willing to repaint,
you could just find a good set and have them painted. (Any silver
wheels you find are OEM for sure).

I read somewhere on the Forum that C5 Z06 gray wheels are a
different color than C6 competition gray wheels, you might want
to double check:
WA9789, 2002-2004 Z06 wheels
WA9243, 2006 -up Corvette Competition Gray wheels

2002-2004 Z06 wheels were cast, made by Speedline
2001 Z06 wheels were forged, by a different mfr
(Alcoa or Amcast?). Not sure about 2001 paint code.

Last edited by ZL-1; 05-25-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:38 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

jasonn5 - don't panic until you have a reason to. I am sure they would be willing to work with you if you aren't satisfied.

ZL-1 - Thanks, buying a raw oem set or a cheap silver set and powder coating them with that paint code is looking like my best option so far. Hopefully it matches the GM centercap perfectly, it should I would think.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my '07 VY Z with Comp Gray wheels because I liked the contrast with the paint. When I bought my HRE C-20's, I had them powdercoated with the WA9243 paint code. They matched perfectly and look way cool.
Gary
Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 79 Posts

every gm parts website i go to lists them as q44 painted wheel. doesn't it show up in the gm computer as q44 wheel as well?

i had the q44 from factory but am reluctant to give up my vin.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read a number of posts from guys that are getting hung up on a slight difference in the color of their aftermarket wheels and the factory center caps. My 2008 was ordered with and delivered from the factory with the Q44 comp greys. As you can see in the photo below, the center caps are a bit darker than the wheels themselves.

Here are a few photos of the Speedline part #s, etc. cast on the back of the wheel but I would image these numbers and symbols would be the same for all finishes on the Speedlines.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ARE the paint codes? for 06 style and 09 style please.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Guys, I really appreciate all of the helpful comments in this thread.

I found the GM part #s for these wheels, yes Q44 is the RPO code but that wont help you order them. (These are the split spoke style again, not the spiders.)

Front wheels - 19122199

Rear wheels - 9597192

Bluemagoo, thanks for the pics. Very helpful.

In the end, I am going to just find silver or raw oem wheels and have them powder coated with the WA9243 paint code. Good luck to those going down this path as well. Its well worth the hassle for that sinister look.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just wait for a nice set to show up on the forums and when they do jump on it. Thats what I did and I got a amazing set of OEM 2008 Z06 takeoffs with original balanced runflats still on them. Paid only $1400 bucks to my door. Best mod I have ever done to my silver Z06!!!! Yes they are rare and you might have to wait a while but it sure as hell beats having to get a set of wheels painted. Just my opinion.
Here is a pic of my 06 Z with OEM comps!

Oh and P.S. I to did NOT purchase from House of Wheels as I have seen "comp grey" wheels arrive that were almost completely bright silver. No where near a comp grey color wheel so I have no clue where they get these wheels but they are for sure not original painted OEM comp grey wheels.

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 05-26-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I would just wait for a nice set to show up on the forums and when they do jump on it. Thats what I did and I got a amazing set of OEM 2008 Z06 takeoffs with original balanced runflats still on them. Paint only $1400 bucks to my door. Best mod I have ever done to my silver Z06!!!! Yes they are rare and you might have to wait a while but it sure as hell beats having to get a set of wheels painted. Just my opinion.
Here is a pic of my 06 Z with OEM comps!

Oh and P.S. I to did NOT purchase from House of Wheels as I have seen "comp grey" wheels arrive that were almost completely bright silver. No where near a comp grey color wheel so I have no clue where they get these wheels but they are for sure not original painted OEM comp grey wheels.

Your car would look even better if it had black headlights.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Guys, I really appreciate all of the helpful comments in this thread.

I found the GM part #s for these wheels, yes Q44 is the RPO code but that wont help you order them. (These are the split spoke style again, not the spiders.)

Front wheels - 19122199

Rear wheels - 9597192

Bluemagoo, thanks for the pics. Very helpful.

In the end, I am going to just find silver or raw oem wheels and have them powder coated with the WA9243 paint code. Good luck to those going down this path as well. Its well worth the hassle for that sinister look.
I think the rear wheel part number is:

Your front part number looks good.

The Comp Grey paint (WA9243) is a very difficult color to match or paint. It has a gunmetal blue hue. I doubt that you will be able to get powder coated to that color locally.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by Carnac; 05-26-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carnac
I think the rear wheel part number is:

Your front part number looks good.

The Comp Grey paint (WA9243) is a very difficult color to match or paint. It has a gunmetal blue hue. I doubt that you will be able to get powder coated to that color locally.

Cheers - Jim
Jim, and all thanks for the info. I'm going to meet with my powdercoater (said only $200 for all 4 wheels) to see how close he can match the wheel to the centercaps I'll leave with him. I agree, its tough to match, and even GM doesn't match it perfect. Is simply painting the wheel with that code an option you think rather than trying to match with a powder coat? My guess is durability is sacrificed quite a bit with simply painting it rather than powder coating.

That rear wheel part # is the old one, the one I provided replaces that. Not sure what causes that but I called yesterday and that is what they said.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:32 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Jim, and all thanks for the info. I'm going to meet with my powdercoater (said only $200 for all 4 wheels) to see how close he can match the wheel to the centercaps I'll leave with him. I agree, its tough to match, and even GM doesn't match it perfect. Is simply painting the wheel with that code an option you think rather than trying to match with a powder coat? My guess is durability is sacrificed quite a bit with simply painting it rather than powder coating.

That rear wheel part # is the old one, the one I provided replaces that. Not sure what causes that but I called yesterday and that is what they said.
On my C-6 I had my 10 spoke silver powder coated comp gray.To match new gray centers. On my Z I was lucky to find a set of the speedlines in comp gray from ATVETTE. The whole wheel matches the center perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Competiton Grey Z06 wheel question

Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Sinister04L
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I've seen 2 sets of factory Comp Gray wheels where the centercaps were a shade darker than the rest of the wheels.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

My CG GS wheels has arrived at the Buffalo location for me to pick up tomorrow. I am also picking up a set of centrecaps for those wheels and I am a bit anxious to see if the colour will match or not.

These are the wheels I bought from Bob at HOW. I'm getting a bit nervous with reading people's experiences with buying CG wheels from there and not having the colour be right.

I guess I will find out tomorrow when I go pick them up. First thing to check for me is that they are GM Speedline wheels then I'll worry about the colour. I'm not too concerned if the shade is a bit darker or lighter than the caps but all 4 wheels should be the same colour and be "gray" not silver like what someone else posted.

It better not turn into a headache if there is an issue since I have to drive from Toronto to Buffalo to get the wheels.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Black
Your car would look even better if it had black headlights.
JTS97Z28,
Instead of black head lights, do something different. How about painting your headlights Comp Gray as well.
Gary

Quick Reply: [Z06] Competiton Grey Z06 wheel question