Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 lifter problems?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:50 PM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2008 Z06 lifter problems?

I all just took my 08 Z06 into the dealership, it started making a ticking noise under the right side valve cover. The dealership discovered the #6 and #8 lifters were galled and collapst. They said they would replace all the lifters and the cam under warranty. The rocker arms were all in good shape. Anyone had this issue come up before? I heard of the rockers going south in the 07's but never any lifter issues. Anybody out there had lifters go bad on a stock engine with 20k on the clock, if so I'd like to hear about it and maybe what causes it.

TIA
Old 06-06-2010, 12:20 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

See the nearby thread:
"New Thread: Dealer Called With Diagnosis"
Old 06-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by vettl83
I all just took my 08 Z06 into the dealership, it started making a ticking noise under the right side valve cover. The dealership discovered the #6 and #8 lifters were galled and collapst. They said they would replace all the lifters and the cam under warranty. The rocker arms were all in good shape. Anyone had this issue come up before? I heard of the rockers going south in the 07's but never any lifter issues. Anybody out there had lifters go bad on a stock engine with 20k on the clock, if so I'd like to hear about it and maybe what causes it.

TIA
How loud was it compared to the normal valve train noise ??

DH
Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock Z06 lifters are quite reliable. Even more than the racing lifters.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 PM
vetteguy37
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vettl83/lifters

I have an 08/Z06 with 15K miles, it is in the dealership now for the exact lifter/camshaft issues you describe. First the said it was bend push rods always caused by a 4-1 mis-shift. (over rev condition) I told the guy that the car had never experienced that condition? Sure enough, all push rods were fine, 5 hrs later i get a call from the service advisor that 4 lifters are pitted so they are replacing the camshaft/lifters? He told me there was no service bulletin or any updated parts currently and he could not tell me what causes this? I own a machine shop and work with metal all the time, so my opinion is that pitting is usually caused by moisture or rust if you will. Same thing you describe, turned the radio off yesterday just to listen to the engine and noticed the same ticking noise you describe, was worse at cold start up though...did they give you a reason for the failure? Just a quick update, there is a reason for the increased dry sump capacity from 8 to 10.5...lots of race guys believe the cam/lifter issues to be caused by over extending oil life especially if the computer oil life monitor is used? The increased capacity is the engineers solution...change oil at 3K miles (5K kilos) religiously cuz apparently the on board computer is going to let you drive
6K miles (10K kilos) Why wouldn't they just reprogram the oil life monitor for 50% less driving time???

Last edited by vetteguy37; 09-30-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I recall two '08s reported here having cams that were out of spec for hardness and wore prematurely causing the galling to the lifters and ultimately destroying the cam.

Sounds like a possibility with yours.

Best of luck with the fix...

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 lifter problems?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 lifter problems?