Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hawk Ceramic pads for the Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Hawk Ceramic pads for the Z06

I have heard these have good performance and low brake dust.

Has anyone tried these? any brake squeal or performance issues with them?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Johnjan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like them OK.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
I have heard these have good performance and low brake dust.

Has anyone tried these? any brake squeal or performance issues with them?

I use the stock rear pads w/ the ceramic fronts. Dust is about 85% less. Performance is about 10% less w/ ceramics. You won't notice it with normal daily driving.

Ron
Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Dr. Ron is pretty accurate! If you're interested in our Hawk Pad GP (Least expensive prices on the internet) email hawkpads@gmpartshouse.com and you will get an instant response with the pricing.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I've had them on for about 8,000 miles. I don't notice any difference (street driving only). Dust is reduced a good 80% or so. They do seem to wear the rotors, but from what someone else posted once, and the rate I'm seeing it will take a good 30,000 miles before new rotors are needed. That would take about 7 years of my driving!

I've had other ceramics that I could tell did not stop as well, but these feel just like the stock pads.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
I use the stock rear pads w/ the ceramic fronts. Dust is about 85% less. Performance is about 10% less w/ ceramics. You won't notice it with normal daily driving.
+1. The Hawk ceramics give up the least stopping power of any ceramic I've tested.

Chris
Old 06-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Dr. Ron is pretty accurate! If you're interested in our Hawk Pad GP (Least expensive prices on the internet) email hawkpads@gmpartshouse.com and you will get an instant response with the pricing.
Thanks! I guess my Butt meter is pretty accurate!
This is my 3rd Corvette that I run front ceramic pads on the street with. I even keep them in when drag racing & have NO issues. They come out for road racing however....

Ron
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Gene thanks for the quote on Z06 pads. Now I just have to sort out which of the three pad sets I should buy.

HPS, HPS Plus or Performance Ceramic - Any one have any recommendations??

Tom
Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Gene thanks for the quote on Z06 pads. Now I just have to sort out which of the three pad sets I should buy.

HPS, HPS Plus or Performance Ceramic - Any one have any recommendations??

Tom
yes - thanks for the quote to me too, and I have the same question.

My question would be which pad would be the easiest on the rotor as someone up stream said the ceramic's may be harder on the rotor and which pad would have the least dust?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:26 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

My question would be which pad would be the easiest on the rotor as someone up stream said the ceramic's may be harder on the rotor and which pad would have the least dust?
Mr Gizmo, I found this info on Tire Rack. Based on their info I'm leaning towards the Hawk Ceramic pads. I guess I need to get a sanity check from real world CF users before I pull the trigger.

HAWK HPS (Street Pads)
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...eet+brake+pads

HAWK HPS Plus Pads
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ace+brake+pads

HAWK Ceramic Pads
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...e+Ceramic+Pads

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Mr Gizmo, I found this info on Tire Rack. Based on their info I'm leaning towards the Hawk Ceramic pads. I guess I need to get a sanity check from real world CF users before I pull the trigger.

HAWK HPS (Street Pads)
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...eet+brake+pads

HAWK HPS Plus Pads
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ace+brake+pads

HAWK Ceramic Pads
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...e+Ceramic+Pads

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom - thanks, this is good info. I would probably lean to the Hawk Ceramic too. the HPS (Street) says they are very gentle on the rotors, low brake dust and and improvement over factory. I know a guy in st. louis that tracks his Z. I will give him a call and ask him his thougts on this and if he has tried Hawk. I will post what he tells me. I don't track my car. I drive it 2 or 3 days a week in the Spring, and Summer and in the fall on nice days so having less hassle with brake dust is what i would mainly be looking for.

Bill.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-20-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:06 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

I use OEM pads for track duty, and will get the HAWK Ceramic's for street duty.

My new chrome spiders look like crap after a few days of driving on the OEM pads, but on the track the OEM's work great for me and my driving style. I roll out of the throttle earlier than the marked braking zone's - I'm no HERO

Gene has a fantastic deal going on too.

Tom
Old 06-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

I use OEM pads for track duty, and will get the HAWK Ceramic's for street duty.

My new chrome spiders look like crap after a few days of driving on the OEM pads, but on the track the OEM's work great for me and my driving style. I roll out of the throttle earlier than the marked braking zone's - I'm no HERO

Gene has a fantastic deal going on too.

Tom
Wish I had a track near where i live to be "no hero" too Nothing close by at all other then "gateway international race way" to run it down the quarter mile on tuesday's "Street tire night".

Where do you track your car? I see you are located in Swansea which i think is pretty close to st. louis. This guy I know, traliers his Z out of state pretty long distances, out west and to Atlanta.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:27 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Wish I had a track near where i live to be "no hero" too Nothing close by at all other then "gateway international race way" to run it down the quarter mile on tuesday's "Street tire night".

Where do you track your car? I see you are located in Swansea which i think is pretty close to st. louis. This guy I know, traliers his Z out of state pretty long distances, out west and to Atlanta.
Road America in Wis, Autobahn in Joliet IL, Heartland Park near KC and Puntnam Park in Indy

The longest drive is to RA, about 7 hours from St Louis. We have about 10 guys from the STL area caravan up. Let me know if your interested. I track my Z 100 OEM stock.

Here are a few photo's from our April trip

Tom
Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Road America in Wis, Autobahn in Joliet IL, Heartland Park near KC and Puntnam Park in Indy

The longest drive is to RA, about 7 hours from St Louis. We have about 10 guys from the STL area caravan up. Let me know if your interested. I track my Z 100 OEM stock.

Here are a few photo's from our April trip

Tom
Tom - That sounds good. Keep me posted if you make a trip to Indy or KC. If a group of you decide to take your Z's over to interational let me know.

If thats your AO with the comp grey wheels on the track - it looks great

bill
Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I used to run Hawk Ceramics for street use. I've since changed over to CarboTech Bobcat monoblock pads. Similar reduction in dust (which is really nice), better brake feel/stopping, and much easier on the rotors.

Travis.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I used to run Hawk Ceramics for street use. I've since changed over to CarboTech Bobcat monoblock pads. Similar reduction in dust (which is really nice), better brake feel/stopping, and much easier on the rotors.

Travis.

Get notified of new replies

To Hawk Ceramic pads for the Z06

Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OnPoint

Travis.
You use the term "monoblock" ---this means a single pad instead of the the multiple pad-lets for each side of the caliper?

Looked at the carbotech website - it appears its the "1521" bobcat single backing plate pad you are referring too. Not recommended for any track use. I would guess they fade away fast.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-23-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

You use the term "monoblock" ---this means a single pad instead of the the multiple pad-lets for each side of the caliper?

Looked at the carbotech website - it appears its the "1521" bobcat single backing plate pad you are referring too. Not recommended for any track use. I would guess they fade away fast.
Yes, we do make a one piece pad in all compounds for the zo6. The 1521 will get glazed over and will start to fade on a race track. The zo6has to much power and weighs to much for a road course to use this pad. You can auto x with this pad. If you have questions or would like to order you can call me at 216-780-8825
Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Yes, those are what I was referring to. They don't fade that fast. Ok to autocross, and even HPDE if track is smaller and thus overall speeds lower.

If you track on bigger tracks, you'll want a track compound.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hawk Ceramic pads for the Z06