Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Breaking ball joint free from lower control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:25 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Breaking ball joint free from lower control arm?

I am in the process of installing WCC lowering bolts. I have the lower mount of the shock removed, as well as the nut for the ball joint. I am trying to break free the lower control arm from the spindle, but the ball joint seems to be very tight. I have tried hammering on the lower part of the spindle, being careful not to damage the spindle. It is not breaking free. Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 PM
captej
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go rent a spindle fork...... pepboys,advanced auto
Old 07-01-2010, 10:39 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pickle fork can work well but can rip the boot on the ball joint. Lots of times a good rap from a ball peen hammer on the side of the spindle will free it.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It may take quite a few wacks of the hammer before it comes loose. After hitting it a few times shake the LCA to make sure it didn't come loose. I had to push mine down after the ball joint stud came loose.

Bill
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I won't use a fork because I don't want to tear the rubber boot.

I am a little hesitant to get "aggressive" with the hammer on the spindle. How much force is ok on the aluminum spindle? How much is too much, and what does it take to crack/break the spindle?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 PM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I just changed out one of my front hubs recently and I had the same problem after a few hits with the hammer. The hammer deal usually works but this time it did not. I ended up just grabbing the whole spindle assembly lifting it up while turning. The lower control arm should drop right out. Good luck! //art
Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Thanks Art. So the steering wheel was unlocked and you turned back and forth pulling up? I will give that a shot tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 PM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

No - it does not literally "move", more just lift and shake. Just moving the spindle seems to change the angle just enough to drop the control arm. Found this out only out of frustration from banging on the spindle so much I left a small flat spot on it so I just grabbed it and shook it My guess was that it was already loose after banging on it and it was just hanging there until I moved the spindle around. //art
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm changing to SKF hubs now on all four corners and just today popped them apart in my usual fashion. I loosen the ball-joint nut to a point where the nut covers the top of the threads or more but keep it threaded on the bolt. I then hit it a time or two with the BFH and it drops down. Keeping the nut on protects the threads. This works well for uppers, lowers and tie-rods.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 AM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dbratten
I'm changing to SKF hubs now on all four corners and just today popped them apart in my usual fashion. I loosen the ball-joint nut to a point where the nut covers the top of the threads or more but keep it threaded on the bolt. I then hit it a time or two with the BFH and it drops down. Keeping the nut on protects the threads. This works well for uppers, lowers and tie-rods.
Now there is someone using his brain I got that filed away under the "DUH" file for next time. Thanks for the tip!! //art
Old 07-02-2010, 01:36 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

pitman arm puller, some of those will not come loose easy at all. hell some of them i though i was going to break the pitman puller until they finally popped!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:06 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

pitman arm puller, some of those will not come loose easy at all. hell some of them i though i was going to break the pitman puller until they finally popped!
yes! the only way to go. $15 tool that will save you time and possibly prevent damage to your suspension

i bought a ball joint separator kit at harbor freight, best money I have ever spent in that place. it has different sized arm pullers and the other one (with 3 prongs), i use arm one for upper/lower ***** and 3-pronged one for tie rod. few seconds to take them apart and there is zero hammering/risk of damage to boots etc.

first time I took lower joint apart I used hammers, jack, pieces of 2x4 etc, not something I would recommend although I did get it done.

i have not seen that kit in the store for a while but you can just buy individual ones. tie rod joints are usually easy to break apart but i still use the tool to minimize hammering on my suspension
Old 07-02-2010, 02:10 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

when i did my own bushings i tried and tried to get the lower a arm loose from spindle i beat the **** out of it and it did not come loose no matter how big the hammer. got the putman arm pulled on there and had to crank on it really hard with a bigger sized socket and long breaker bar but it finally came loose.

it is wrth the $$ i got mine at Harbor freight and used it a few times since.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:27 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
This is my procedure also but I will add two points, 1. I take off the original nut and put on another then with the threads covered by this nut I use a small 2 lb sledge and give it a quick clean hit on the nut. When I'm done I put the original undamaged nut back on. I find the 2 lb sledge to work better than a big hammer because it's the shock that breaks it. Good luck
Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by seamus2154
This is my procedure also but I will add two points, 1. I take off the original nut and put on another then with the threads covered by this nut I use a small 2 lb sledge and give it a quick clean hit on the nut. When I'm done I put the original undamaged nut back on. I find the 2 lb sledge to work better than a big hammer because it's the shock that breaks it. Good luck
Actually, in this case, my BFH is a 2 lb sledge. Ball peens are usually too light and claw hammers are dangerous.

I've never damaged a nut but your tip is a good one if you have an extra nut of each size available.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 AM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Thanks again for the responses. I messed with it a little more, and could not get it free. I got to the point where I just decided to remove the 4 bolts where the upper control arm bolts to the engine compartment. This was definitely easier but I was trying to avoid this due to really messing up the alignment. After removing/reinstalling them, it appears there is little adjustment here anyway, so I don't think it is that bad. I wanted to get some miles on them to perfect the ride height before getting an alignment. I got the fronts done, and will be attacking the rears tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Breaking ball joint free from lower control arm?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Breaking ball joint free from lower control arm?