Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DYNO RESULTS FOR THE SUPER BEE Carbon CF112 VERIFIED

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default DYNO RESULTS FOR THE SUPER BEE Carbon CF112 VERIFIED

We all know how dynos work right? Many variations of dyno setups, Superflow, DynoJet, Mustang, Land and Sea, and the correction factors can make you nuts trying to settle what is real and what is hype.

Twelve years of dyno testing and intake development has lead to an intake that is by far, the best bolt on intake we have ever developed. Our Super Bee CF112 is made by the shop that brings us the C6.R, C6.RS, GT1 and GT2 Race bodies, and all of Halltech and Katech's carbon fiber parts. Our new Super Bee Carbon is being installed by the best tuners in the world, including Katech, LPE, Quality MS, Pratt and Miller Racing, Kooks Headers on their Z06, Nick Williams Performance, LS1 Speed, Jerry's Chevrolet, Scoggin Dickey's Z06, and many other fine shops around the country.

Our very first production unit was sent to Jerry's Chevrolet in South Dakota earlier this Spring. They have had Excessive Autosports in town do all of their custom installations, and have done business with Halltech for many years, along with many other Chevy dealers nationwide.

They had just received a 2010 Z06 off the carrier and it was in for a few mods before the customer picked up the car. First on the list was our new Super Bee CF112 Carbon induction system with the Beehive Carbon heat shield.

This unit in Carbon fiber MUST have the MAF transfer curve recalibrated to run properly, so they took our Excel file and swept the MAF low and MAF high tables only. No further tuning was done since the 91 Octane prevents lean open loop commanded ratios and timing must be left alone.

Four stock pulls, vs. two Super Bee pulls showed a gain of +33 RWHP 17.43 lbs-ft torque with this single mod. This is a record for any single bolt on mod as far as I know. You might say, well tuning helped, but there is a difference between aligning MAF Transfer Curves to an intake vs. full performance tuning, which would have been counterproductive with the 91 Octane Fuel. The air fuel ratio went from 11.55:1 factory, to 12.2:1 with the MAF TC change, which does contribute to bigger numbers.

Here is the dyno:

Now the interesting part. Carlos, who everyone knows, was skeptical and even though I told him that the dyno numbers would be big, had to see for himself.

His results were like a clone of the dyno done across the country:
+34.1 RWHP/32.6lbs-ft torque! I suspect some of the increase was due to his tuning for higher octane as well.

Dyno results:

Then he decided to test the 1st generation Killer Bee vs the Killer Bee II.

This was tuned results on both systems. Is it worth moving up from the Killer Bee to the Killer Bee II? You Bee the judge:

Last edited by Halltech; 07-21-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:01 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i need to dumb my KB and get with the KB ? not that its a bad product or anything but if i want more power...dynos dont lie ..thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

So basically that is with only MAF adjustment due to the bigger diameter. What do you think the figure will be if dialed in for a 12.8 afr and a better timing curve than the stock one?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Hard to believe the stock bell shaped intake is THAT restrictive, but if I were to buy an intake, this would be at the top of the list.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HNK
So basically that is with only MAF adjustment due to the bigger diameter. What do you think the figure will be if dialed in for a 12.8 afr and a better timing curve than the stock one?
Yes. The 12.2:1 A/F ratio is fat city on the LS7. We have even run dyno testing on our 2006 Z06 with Donaldson Co. when they were developing the ZR1 filter and found the sweet spot at 13.2:1. Even 13.5:1 on E10 bumped HP but started losing 2 degrees timing at 6000 set at 24 degrees full timing (92 Octane E10 in MN). We went from 448 RWHP (LGs dyno four months earlier) to 476.77 RWHP with just the tuning. This was the very first Z06 ever tuned.

We are running 22 degrees timing even on our 13:1 CR motor with E85 and no knock retard at all.

Jim

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Hard to believe the stock bell shaped intake is THAT restrictive, but if I were to buy an intake, this would be at the top of the list.
Not the shape of the intake but rather the filter. The Donaldson's do a great job of filtration at around 99.6% efficiency, but our K&N filter made only for Halltech is ISO5011 tested and has a 99.3% efficiency rating as long as it is kept oiled. We looked into the dry filter made by AEM, but it was too restrictive.

Jim
Old 07-22-2010, 04:04 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Halltech
Yes. The 12.2:1 A/F ratio is fat city on the LS7. We have even run dyno testing on our 2006 Z06 with Donaldson Co. when they were developing the ZR1 filter and found the sweet spot at 13.2:1. Even 13.5:1 on E10 bumped HP but started losing 2 degrees timing at 6000 set at 24 degrees full timing (92 Octane E10 in MN). We went from 448 RWHP (LGs dyno four months earlier) to 476.77 RWHP with just the tuning. This was the very first Z06 ever tuned.

We are running 22 degrees timing even on our 13:1 CR motor with E85 and no knock retard at all.

Jim
Jim, was the 13.1 from just milling or from a new build? The 13.2 afr sweetspot was before or after the cats? I have found till now, best power for wide open runs is closer to the 13.1 .
Old 07-22-2010, 04:37 AM
HP ADDICT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim just a update. We made 561 rwhp with the CF112, ARH catless and lethal cam on a mustang dyno. I was very impressed with how the combo performed! Adding a ported TB and intake tomorrow and will redyno and let you know how it turns out!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

That should put you over the 580 mark, aint bad. How is it running overall?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HNK
Jim, was the 13.1 from just milling or from a new build? The 13.2 afr sweetspot was before or after the cats? I have found till now, best power for wide open runs is closer to the 13.1 .
13.2:1 was at the tailpipe.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HP ADDICT
Jim just a update. We made 561 rwhp with the CF112, ARH catless and lethal cam on a mustang dyno. I was very impressed with how the combo performed! Adding a ported TB and intake tomorrow and will redyno and let you know how it turns out!
Not bad!!! Do you happen to know the before numbers and how much she picked overall?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HP ADDICT
Very nice indeed. Ported 90mm TB? I think Katech dynoed a 102mm TB on our engine build and got 5 HP, no torque increase. That is 12mm larger than the 90mm.

One thing I would like to correct though. The ported throttle body is really NOT ported in the sense of making it larger. It is still 90mm at the throttle plate. Most are mearly port matched to smooth out areas that create turbulence, which can help flow numbers. The problem is, 90mm is about perfect for the 428 c.i.d. LS7 motor, as proven by the small gain from a 12mm larger TB (+5 HP)

I think Katech got no increase in performance from a customers ported throttle body and or a port matched stock intake manifold. Jason can respond better to this.

My guess is, that port matching the TB, intake tract have little if any effect on performance, or I would have done it myself.

Jim
Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
Not the shape of the intake but rather the filter. The Donaldson's do a great job of filtration at around 99.6% efficiency, but our K&N filter made only for Halltech is ISO5011 tested and has a 99.3% efficiency rating as long as it is kept oiled. We looked into the dry filter made by AEM, but it was too restrictive.

Jim
So the stock intake design is as good as it can be, *just* the filter is a restriction? If so how is the "Attack Blue" so far behind other aftermarket unit that replace both filter and airbridge? The AB shows very little gains, in fact the stock ZR1 filter in a recent test gained similar hp and much more tq.....the AB lost tq in comparison even to the stock Z06 filter from what I remember.

Just want to be clear on things, it seems from what I've seen the biggest gains come from your setup and that's a combination of airbridge design+filter media. Or is it that the attack blue filter is much more restrictive then your filter?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
So the stock intake design is as good as it can be, *just* the filter is a restriction? If so how is the "Attack Blue" so far behind other aftermarket unit that replace both filter and airbridge? The AB shows very little gains, in fact the stock ZR1 filter in a recent test gained similar hp and much more tq.....the AB lost tq in comparison even to the stock Z06 filter from what I remember.

Just want to be clear on things, it seems from what I've seen the biggest gains come from your setup and that's a combination of airbridge design+filter media. Or is it that the attack blue filter is much more restrictive then your filter?
It is not just the filter design. That is the major problem with the stock intake, but our CAD designed Super Bee has much more plenum volume than the stock or Killer Bee II bridge. It's design is based on flow characteristics and velocity. Larger with no sense of how to maintain velocity is like porting out a head so much that it flows less due to a loss of velocity.

The stock intake has an ellipse that has 12.54 sq. inches at the outlet. The Super Bee CF112 is 112 mm and has well over 15.3 sq. inches at the outlet and zero restriction to flow from PCV line protrusions, MAF protrusions, since the MAF/IAT sensor is forward under the Beehive Heat Shield.

Having the MAF sensor too close to the throttle body can cause buffeting of the airflow at low speed, and results in surging issues. We eliminate that totally on the stock LS7, and improve surging issues on the cammed LS7.

If we can make +33 RWHP with simple MAF Transfer Curve changes, that should tell the story about what we have accomplished comparing to stock.

This is the no tuning Katech Dyno results (SuperFlow Engine dyno) comparing the stock LS7 AIS to our Super Bee and Killer Bee:

I do not know anything about the filter you are referring to.

Last edited by Halltech; 07-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default The Look with the Super Beehive and Super Bee Combo

Old 07-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the response, i figured the combination of airbridge and filter go hand in hand for the gains seen.

That filter I referenced is sold here by a vendor, it's made as a drop-in using the stock LS7/LS3 airbox (airbridge). It looks like most cotton pleated filters except it resides inside in the stock filter location....the claimed hp gain is 4-5rwhp. A few forum members have seen small gains of about 4-5hp with that air filter on a dyno.....about what someone seems if just replacing the stock Z06 filter with the ZR1 media.

In any case your intake setup is by far the most hp I've seen posted on the forum and imo, the best looking as well
Old 07-22-2010, 02:42 PM
dbsears
Advanced

Forgive me for asking a basic question possibly asked before but your KB CF112 is obviously your highest power making intake. Will you offer this in a plain finish (similar to KB II) as opposed to the carbon model to offer a cheaper solution but still achieve the power gains?

Get notified of new replies

To DYNO RESULTS FOR THE SUPER BEE Carbon CF112 VERIFIED

Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Jim,

Would you say a 102 TB like the one you sell, would better perform on a 440 CI ?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

it doesnt look like the gains from a KBII and the CF112 are that great. Am I missing something?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 PM
HP ADDICT
Pro

34rwhp and 32rwtq for a intake isn't good?

Quick Reply: [Z06] DYNO RESULTS FOR THE SUPER BEE Carbon CF112 VERIFIED