Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

[Z06] Dead battery! How do I open doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by FNQWK
my fob does not look like that. its an 06 i bought used, with no key

thanks for the worthless reply. i think this forum is served as tool for vette owners to ask questions/share expieriences they have come across while owning a vette. sometimes the manual does not have all the answers.
Oh boy, if you didn't get any keys with the car, you will have to go to the dealer with the VIN and they will cut you an expensive key. Your neighorhood locksmith can't do this.

Like Songman3 said, open the hood, and flip open the fuse box cover on the passenger side of the car. Connect a battery charger red (+) lead to the lug under the cover, and the black(-) lead to a ground on the engine or frame. That will get you some power where you can at least open the rear hatch using the pushbutton above the license plate.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-22-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Oh boy, if you didn't get any keys with the car, you will have to go to the dealer with the VIN and they will cut you an expensive key. Your neighorhood locksmith can't do this.
Not sure why it would be so expensive to cut a new key since the key is just a standard key for the trunk release (not a microchipped ignition key like most new cars today).
Old 07-22-2010, 04:05 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

My 06 key fob comes with a regular key, not the mini one that is inside the fob as pictured a few posts above. Is there any way I can get one of those, that's a lot more compact than what I have.

Thanks,
Old 07-22-2010, 04:06 PM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know all about the the terminals under the hood, and thanks for pointing out red+/black- i was stumped scratching my head looking over them. i dont have a battery charger. all i have is jumper cables and my 2nd car is a mercedes. the vette is on the right of the garage- benz on the left. you may not know, the battery is in the trunk in right in the benz. i could back the benz in the garage, but the cables dont stretch 15 ft. i figured i would post and ask a question(sorry to the opposer) rather than push the car out in 110* to get it jumped or go to the dealership to get a key. at this point my options are limited
Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Dizz
Pro

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
My 06 key fob comes with a regular key, not the mini one that is inside the fob as pictured a few posts above. Is there any way I can get one of those, that's a lot more compact than what I have.

Thanks,
Same with the 07's.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Not sure why it would be so expensive to cut a new key since the key is just a standard key for the trunk release (not a microchipped ignition key like most new cars today).
Maybe because the dealer has you over a barrel since he's the only one that can get the key cutting info based on your VIN. Lowes can't do that. Lowes needs a cut key so they can just copy it. Lack of competion has a way of driving up prices.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FNQWK
i know all about the the terminals under the hood, and thanks for pointing out red+/black- i was stumped scratching my head looking over them. i dont have a battery charger. all i have is jumper cables and my 2nd car is a mercedes. the vette is on the right of the garage- benz on the left. you may not know, the battery is in the trunk in right in the benz. i could back the benz in the garage, but the cables dont stretch 15 ft. i figured i would post and ask a question(sorry to the opposer) rather than push the car out in 110* to get it jumped or go to the dealership to get a key. at this point my options are limited
You have a couple of choices then. 1) buy a battery charger at Walmart or 2) take the battery out of your Mercedes and place it closer to your Corvette. 3) buy another set of battery cables and pigtail to your existing cables so they will reach the 15'. Of course the voltage drop may be so great that you can't start the car, but you will be able to open the rear hatch and remove the battery from the Vette and get another one. Either way, you will still need to get a key cut at the dealer.

PS. My Mercedes also has the battery located in the trunk. It's not that big a deal to remove except for having to go to the Mercedes dealer after you put the battery back in to get them to put in the battery unlock code so you will some music.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 PM
GDUP409
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default docgonzo & FNQWK

For future similar situations,providing you have the key problem resolved.You can go to any key shop,or AAA (free) and have them make you a "credit card key". Literally they punch a key out of a flat plastic credit card. I have one that I carry in my wallet and its saved my butt more than once.Hope your problem gets resolved
Old 10-09-2014, 07:10 PM
HowardC
2nd Gear

Default Sorry, I'm dense

Originally Posted by MOSPORT1
I learned the hard way a few months ago,,, was going on a road trip and decided to be safe and take both sets of keys just in case,, well for one reason or another the car locked me out with both fobs inside the car!! Anyhow,,, after racking my brain I got in,,,, if you take a
torx to the inside righthand tail light and remove it,, you can reach the
keylock above your license. I pried the rivets off to release the lockset then you can get at it through the taillight opening. Then just pop off the cir-clip on it with a small flat screw driver and pop off the top to get at the trunk release cable,,,,
I've had to do it a few times for other people since,,,
Well, unfortunately, I'm yet another C6 owner (2010 Coupe) with a dead battery. To make matters worse, the hatch key doesn't work! My mistake, I didn't know the emergency hatch key even existed. The key only turns about 45 degrees and nothing happens. I have no idea what is causing the failure, whether it's a stuck mechanism or ???

Anyway, I removed the right inside tail light out but I don't understand the instructions to get at the trunk release cable. I can see the cable and feel the mechanism that the key is inserted into. Is this what is being called the lockset? If so, is the goal to detach the mechanism from the cable so you can manually pull on the metal cable inside the outer sleeve? Sorry for being dense!

Another option I saw on this forum is connecting a 12V source (my emergency battery) to the tail light connector to provide the necessary voltage to enable the fob to unlock the door. Obviously, the negative lead from the source voltage goes to the black wire on the connector, but there is a green and a gray wire. I believe the green is for the turn signal and I'm thinking it's not the right place to connect the positive lead to since the turn signal relay is open, thus blocking the source voltage. So, do I connect the positive lead from my battery to the gray wire? Obviously, I'm concerned about damaging circuitry so I'm reluctant to try this unless someone tells me that they've done this and it worked!

I'd like to try one of these two options before going down the route of jacking up the car and connecting to the starter.

Thanks for any assistance!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:46 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Then its your fault you don't have the second key. I don't know of any new cars that are delivered without two sets of keys. When you buy a used car you should insist on getting two. If you don't get a second set you should make sure you provide it yourself.

Bill

Mine used came with only one FOB, but I did get the dealer to get me a second FOB. I had to buy the 2nd key, but having it was prudent. Fortunately so far I haven't needed the 2nd key but did need the 2nd FOB one time.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:15 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by HowardC
Well, unfortunately, I'm yet another C6 owner (2010 Coupe) with a dead battery. To make matters worse, the hatch key doesn't work! My mistake, I didn't know the emergency hatch key even existed. The key only turns about 45 degrees and nothing happens. I have no idea what is causing the failure, whether it's a stuck mechanism or ???

Anyway, I removed the right inside tail light out but I don't understand the instructions to get at the trunk release cable. I can see the cable and feel the mechanism that the key is inserted into. Is this what is being called the lockset? If so, is the goal to detach the mechanism from the cable so you can manually pull on the metal cable inside the outer sleeve? Sorry for being dense!

Another option I saw on this forum is connecting a 12V source (my emergency battery) to the tail light connector to provide the necessary voltage to enable the fob to unlock the door. Obviously, the negative lead from the source voltage goes to the black wire on the connector, but there is a green and a gray wire. I believe the green is for the turn signal and I'm thinking it's not the right place to connect the positive lead to since the turn signal relay is open, thus blocking the source voltage. So, do I connect the positive lead from my battery to the gray wire? Obviously, I'm concerned about damaging circuitry so I'm reluctant to try this unless someone tells me that they've done this and it worked!

I'd like to try one of these two options before going down the route of jacking up the car and connecting to the starter.

Thanks for any assistance!
I locked my fob in the car one time (had it in my gym bag) and couldn't for the life of me find my spare (I've since had another one made). I called Lock Poppers and paid the $60. You would be shocked how easy it is to get into these cars. They make a rod that can only be purchased by licensed companies that inserts through the gap between the window and the weather stripping. They reach down to the floor and pull up on the emergency release handle. Door pops right open.

I would do that before I risked an electrical short.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:16 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk about a blast from the past. Digging up a 4 year old thread.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:20 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

MY son locked his keys in his car and the Police Officer that came wedged a blood pressure cuff in the gap in the window and expanded it until there was enough room for him to pop the lock.
Clif

Last edited by z06clif; 10-11-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-2014, 04:24 PM
HowardC
2nd Gear

Default Resolved!

Thanks to the most recent replies (and my apologies if I shouldn't have posted to this old thread), I just wanted to provide an update and close this out.

I called AAA and they sent out a locksmith. He used a purpose-built, small air bag (same idea as the blood pressure cuff cleverly used by the cop) to create a gap. Using a long metal rod and plenty of perseverance and patience, he managed to manipulate the lever on the floor of the door sill - problem solved!

I am very relieved that a tow to the Chev dealership or the risk associated with introducing back voltage to the car were avoided. This has been one lesson learned and my gratitude to all on here who posted helpful information on this topic!
Old 10-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My '07 has separate keys and I duct tape one in a hidden spot under the car. One time the car was away from home and the the battery went dead and key could easily be retrieved to open the car. I don't like carrying the key in my pocket.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Oldcharlie
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful weather in Georgia yesterday and today. Decided to drive the 08 Vette.

Whops, dead battery. My bad...but we have had rain, rain, rain...Georgia is almost 24 inches normal rain fall....more than Seattle...Hate to drive it in the rain.

Remembered the key in the fob. Opened the hatch...probably never used...a little tough to turn, but it did. Only saw one tab, pulled it and the gas cap opened.

Got a bigger flash light, saw a slit in the carpet towards the wheel well....no tab...looked behind the side wall...there was the tab...pulled it, door opened.

Opened the hood and checked the battery 10 volts. Got it charging.

Noticed the driver's window down 4", will go down, and back up but not close. Also noticed radio lost all its presets.

Two questions:
1) when the battery is charged and I start the motor, will the window go all the way up?
2) Will there be a bunch of DTCs?

I ask the later, because when the battery was incorrectly replaced in an 08 Suburban, a bunch of stuff didn't work...I had a bunch of DTCs until I disconnected the battery, waited 2 hours, went and drove it on the highway, before everything was working correctly.

Thanks all, Charlie
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldcharlie
Beautiful weather in Georgia yesterday and today. Decided to drive the 08 Vette.

Whops, dead battery. My bad...but we have had rain, rain, rain...Georgia is almost 24 inches normal rain fall....more than Seattle...Hate to drive it in the rain.

Remembered the key in the fob. Opened the hatch...probably never used...a little tough to turn, but it did. Only saw one tab, pulled it and the gas cap opened.

Got a bigger flash light, saw a slit in the carpet towards the wheel well....no tab...looked behind the side wall...there was the tab...pulled it, door opened.

Opened the hood and checked the battery 10 volts. Got it charging.

Noticed the driver's window down 4", will go down, and back up but not close. Also noticed radio lost all its presets.

Two questions:
1) when the battery is charged and I start the motor, will the window go all the way up?
2) Will there be a bunch of DTCs?

I ask the later, because when the battery was incorrectly replaced in an 08 Suburban, a bunch of stuff didn't work...I had a bunch of DTCs until I disconnected the battery, waited 2 hours, went and drove it on the highway, before everything was working correctly.

Thanks all, Charlie
Charlie, You just have to re-index the windows once you get the new battery up; it's easy as pie and is also in the owners manual. I like to carry a soft copy of the manual on my phone and I've noticed recently, if you put the Chevrolet owners app on your phone, and download the manual via it, it makes it even easier to browse topics. When you get your new battery in, get in and close the door, raise the windows up by pulling up on the windows switch. After they close, hold the switches in the up posistion for 3 seconds and release. Hold the windows switches up for another 3 seconds and you should be all set.

As for the DTC's, there shouldn't be any remaining DTC's after a normal battery change, no.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead battery! How do I open doors

Old 06-11-2020, 11:11 AM
Ed Nowak
Heel & Toe

Does anyone know how to get to the release handle if it retracts into the slot as shown below?

Last edited by Ed Nowak; 06-11-2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 06-11-2020, 12:34 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,793 Likes on 4,231 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Ed Nowak
Does anyone know how to get to the release handle if it retracts into the slot as shown below?
Just pull the carpet back & put the handle back through the slot.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Ed Nowak
Heel & Toe

Thanks! Is there any specific way to get the carpet out?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dead battery! How do I open doors