Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How difficult to change 06 steering wheel to 08?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
z10
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How difficult to change 06 steering wheel to 08?

I have a 2006 Z06 with Nav. Is it feasible to change the steering wheel to one from a 2008? Will it even work? Would it be a direct bolt on? Are all of the electrical connections present in the 06?

Thanks,
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z10
I have a 2006 Z06 with Nav. Is it feasible to change the steering wheel to one from a 2008? Will it even work? Would it be a direct bolt on? Are all of the electrical connections present in the 06?

Thanks,
I did it and yes, it's doable. The steering wheel itself is a direct swap. In fact the wheels themselves are the same once you strip off all the electrical and buttons and what not.

I put an 09 wheel on my 06 Z06 and even put paddle shifters on as well (i used them as switches for various things). To get all the electrical down the column, you will need a new clock spring. This will allow you to wire the wheel down the column.

Now, once you are down the column, you will need a different mating connector. The one you have now off your clock spring is a 4 pin connector and it's only using two pins for the horn (there is a different connector for the airbag and those are the same along the different years so that's a plug and go thing). I was able to get a mating connector and pins from mouser (I may have a spare). The connector was not the exact part number but was similar enough I made it work easily and it's very secure.

Jay
Old 07-27-2010, 12:08 PM
z10
Racer

Jay,
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping the wiring was in place. Looks like I'm liking my 06 wheel better and better.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:26 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious why would you install an 08 steering wheel in an 06? They are identical except for the fact that the newer ones have audio controls which you wont be able to use anyway.

James
Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
z10
Racer

I had an opportunity to pick an 08 wheel for about $125. So, I thought it would make a nice upgrade.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
BrokerDon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this enable any control over your nav and/or radio?

That's the reason I'd like them on my '06
Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I did it and yes, it's doable. The steering wheel itself is a direct swap. In fact the wheels themselves are the same once you strip off all the electrical and buttons and what not.

I put an 09 wheel on my 06 Z06 and even put paddle shifters on as well (i used them as switches for various things). To get all the electrical down the column, you will need a new clock spring. This will allow you to wire the wheel down the column.

Now, once you are down the column, you will need a different mating connector. The one you have now off your clock spring is a 4 pin connector and it's only using two pins for the horn (there is a different connector for the airbag and those are the same along the different years so that's a plug and go thing). I was able to get a mating connector and pins from mouser (I may have a spare). The connector was not the exact part number but was similar enough I made it work easily and it's very secure.

Jay
Jay,

I've thought about doing the same thing as you and using the auto paddleshift buttons for other things.
After installing the clock spring and installation of the connector, was there additional wiring required to use the audio buttons, phone control, etc ? Do you have the NAV option in your car ?

For other's, I don't think a steering wheel replacement is required as the various controls and buttons screw into the mounting area currently covered by the steering wheel caps. Pull your caps and install the newer audio/Nav version of the caps with it's wiring ?

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 07-27-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Jay,

I've thought about doing the same thing as you and using the auto paddleshift buttons for other things.
After installing the clock spring and installation of the connector, was there additional wiring required to use the audio buttons, phone control, etc ? Do you have the NAV option in your car ?

For other's, I don't think a steering wheel replacement is required as the various controls and buttons screw into the mounting area currently covered by the steering wheel caps. Pull your caps and install the newer audio/Nav version of the caps with it's wiring ?
I pulled all the stock audio out of my car and put in a PC and custom audio setup run off the pc. I designed and built a circuit that allows me to use the steering wheel controls to control various functions. I also use the paddles shifters and the circuit to toggle the steering wheel controls through 4 different banks of functions, so I actually can control 28 diffrerent functions.

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To How difficult to change 06 steering wheel to 08?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How difficult to change 06 steering wheel to 08?