Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another one bites the dust!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another one bites the dust!

Well, it was mine...

2006, C6 Z06 38,000+ miles, 494/484 (power), Stoptechs and Penskes. NT05 tires.

The car was a A & B machine. I must of put around 300+ laps on it this past year .

On the way home from my Sunday Track day ( BTW 2 GT2's, 2 GT3, 1 GT3 RS, 1 Gen IV Viper, 2 C6Z06's, GOOD DAY)

2 miles out in 6th gear at 1800rpms, I felt something give out and my immediate reaction was to rev it to hear or feel whats going on. I heard a loud tap.

I towed the Z06 home and popped the valve cover off, I found a broken spring on #1 Intake.

Once the car arrived at RSI, we were able to stick a camera orthoscopically in the motor and the valve did make contact with the piston.

SO, I am looking at this as an opportunity to rebuild it stronger, faster and louder!

I have some videos to share, I did notice that I forced a downshift to around 7k which might of not be the best thing but unfortunately, I CALLED IT, I had some pre-warming mentally that this would happen which has helped me keep positive!

It was only a madder of time! I look forward to sharing my build!!!

We had so many camera's filming different cars on Sunday but I have some footage.

My car footage is not that great (I didn't mount it right) but you can some Z06 speed. Engine sounds great!

HD Vid, look for my drift at the end of my warm up lap! Look for the 3 cars on slicks, once they get heat, GOODBYE! Haha, GT2 was on Michelin slicks! Jmorgan on slicks as well! Jason is very fast!

Warm up lap, outside view:

997 GT3, with cup car driver!

Last edited by Adam at RSI; 08-12-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:45 AM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

I also Taxied an M5 around the track....

The tires were junk and I didn't want to push it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Yjc-9lNU8

Last edited by Adam at RSI; 08-12-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like quite a fruitful life. Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what kind of springs were those
Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MarkRx
what kind of springs were those
Stock internals!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam at RSI
Well, it was mine...

2006, C6 Z06 38,000+ miles, 494/484 (power), Stoptechs and Penskes. NT05 tires.

The car was a A & B machine. I must of put around 300+ laps on it this past year .

On the way home from my Sunday Track day ( BTW 2 GT2's, 2 GT3, 1 GT3 RS, 1 Gen IV Viper, 2 C6Z06's, GOOD DAY)

2 miles out in 6th gear at 1800rpms, I felt something give out and my immediate reaction was to rev it to hear or feel whats going on. I heard a loud tap.

I towed the Z06 home and popped the valve cover off, I found a broken spring on #1 Intake.

Once the car arrived at RSI, we were able to stick a camera orthoscopically in the motor and the valve did make contact with the piston.

SO, I am looking at this as an opportunity to rebuild it stronger, faster and louder!

I have some videos to share, I did notice that I forced a downshift to around 7k which might of not be the best thing but unfortunately, I CALLED IT, I had some pre-warming mentally that this would happen

which has helped me keep positive!

It was only a madder of time! I look forward to sharing my build!!!

We had so many camera's filming different cars on Sunday but I have some footage.

My car footage is not that great (I didn't mount it right) but you can some Z06 speed. Engine
sounds great!

HD Vid, look for my drift at the end of my warm up lap! Look for the 3
cars on slicks, once they get heat, GOODBYE! Haha, GT2 was on Michelin slicks! Jmorgan on slicks as well! Jason is very fast
300+ laps on it just this past year, I wonder how many total laps it had on it before it went. I'd say she held up pretty well.

Some of you guys run them hard.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1574484119

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-11-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Sounds like it lived a good life....glad it will be back.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
300+ laps on it just this past year, I wonder how many total laps it had on it before it went. I'd say she held up pretty well.

Some of you guys run them hard.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1574484119
not to knock this Thread, but this is how the LS7 gets a bad rap. All the non-Z06 owners see this type of thread and think the LS7 is not reliable. My God, don't let BSSN see this thread...he gets major wood everytime an LS7 fails.

So just for the record, as you have in your post:

300+ laps this year on the car
Stock internals
Tuned
Rev'd at 7k RPM on a downshift.
38k+miles on the motor

I doubt an LS3 would have withstood that kind of abuse either.

Good luck on the rebuild Glad it did not happen on the track

Last edited by FrankTank; 08-11-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FrankTank
not to knock this Thread, but this is how the LS7 gets a bad rap. All the non-Z06 owners see this type of thread and think the LS7 is not reliable. My God, don't let BSSN see this thread...he gets major wood everytime an LS7 fails.

Stock internals
Tuned

The message I was conveying was positive! I have put 20K miles of abuse, happy abuse! I bought the Z06 for a reason! The LS7 is fantastic!

The spring failed, that's that!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

The message I was conveying was positive! I have put 20K miles of abuse, happy abuse! I bought the Z06 for a reason! The LS7 is fantastic!

Oh no, I did read it as that totally ( I guess I could have worded it a bit different), thats why I said "not knocking this thread" and I agree with you There are just a lot of nay-sayers and "sky is falling" folks around this forum who like to spread internet folklore about how terrible a motor the LS7 is.

I am glad you posted the track time and conditions your motor saw, that only helps those of us that are passionate about the Z06 like you
Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 PM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Oh no, I did read it as that totally ( I guess I could have worded it a bit different), thats why I said "not knocking this thread" and I agree with you There are just a lot of nay-sayers and "sky is falling" folks around this forum who like to spread internet folklore about how terrible a motor the LS7 is.

I am glad you posted the track time and conditions your motor saw, that only helps those of us that are passionate about the Z06 like you
Agreed!

It's safe to say I got MANY race hours out of my engine!

Have a great day everyone!

-Adam
Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Stock internals
Tuned

I agree. MarkRx, you asked what spring it was. Maybe it was just curiosity, but it really doesn't matter given the life of the engine.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
flyinmedic
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear it Adam but I can't wait to see what you do ro it. Any ideas on how your going to proceed witht he build? keep us posted.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by flyinmedic
Sorry to hear it Adam but I can't wait to see what you do ro it. Any ideas on how your going to proceed witht he build? keep us posted.
I don't want to get people too excited BUT.

We are considering doing a de-stroke, ITB's (individual Throttle Bodies), LOTS OF RPMS, NASTY road race cam!

I'm thinking an efficient road race set up with a huge/tall power curve.

Honestly guys, 500HP works well for me! I could adjust to 600 N/A, don't get me wrong. My goal is not power, its strength, REVS, longevity.

What do you guys think? Keep it 427 or take it down a notch?

-Adam

Last edited by Adam at RSI; 08-11-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That pushrod looks like the shifter on my 77 Bandit Trans Am! :~) My LS2 took that and more, well except for the 7k RPM's....Seems like they all have their issues but man my two LS2 cars were super solid!

To the OP, did the valve actually break?

Stock internals
Tuned
38k+miles on the motor

Last edited by Pontiaker; 08-11-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Agreed!

It's safe to say I got MANY race hours out of my engine!

Have a great day everyone!

-Adam

I definitely got the gist of your post(s) Adam, and am thoroughly impressed by it/them.

When I see guys like you and 1stZ running these cars like you run them, and getting this kind of service out of them, it says a lot.

That engine held up damn good considering the demands you placed on it and you still got right at 40,000 miles, combination of street and track driving, out of it.

It may have given you another few thousand miles more had it not been for that overrev, but who knows? If you had replaced the valve springs in it before this last track day, (and considering the prior demands made on it, that might have been a good move); it might still be running, again, who knows?

But I think what Frank is saying, is that a lot of the naysayers, will see this thread and take it
as another opportunity to start up with the LS7 is unreliable crap again.

When what we ought to be asking, to find out how it served you so well under those demands, and while I am at it, I will ask, what kind of motor oil were you using in it? Did it have an oversized sump tank?

And my vote is, stay with the 427.

Hell, the way it held up, I'd just rebuild it as stock, maybe add a larger capacity tank, and run it the same way and just change the springs every 30k miles.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-11-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the block's cylinder walls are not damaged, I vote put her back as a "427".

Adding a larger oil filler tank or changing the dry slump to an ARE and...

IMO your good to go.

These suckers are plenty fast... "stock", with a good driver.

Most of the LS7's that are kept stock, when driven hard but not abused,

have held up well, considering the beating they get on a track.

Get notified of new replies

To Another one bites the dust!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 PM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I definitely got the gist of your post(s) Adam, and am thoroughly impressed by it/them.

When I see guys like you and 1stZ running these cars like you run them, and getting this kind of service out of them, it says a lot.

That engine held up damn good considering the demands you placed on it and you still got right at 40,000 miles, combination of street and track driving, out of it.

It may have given you another few thousand miles more had it not been for that overrev, but who knows? If you had replaced the valve springs in it before this last track day, (and considering the prior demands made on it, that might have been a good move); it might still be running, again, who knows?

But I think what Frank is saying, is that a lot of the naysayers, will see this thread and take it
as another opportunity to start up with the LS7 is unreliable crap again.

When what we ought to be asking, to find out how it served you so well under those demands, and while I am at it, I will ask, what kind of motor oil were you using in it? Did it have an oversized sump tank?

And my vote is, stay with the 427.

Hell, the way it held up, I'd just rebuild it as stock, maybe add a larger capacity tank, and run it the same way and just change the springs every 30k miles.
I will stand ground and agree that the LS7 is reliable. I have road raced 3 LSX platforms for 5 years now. 2 LS6's and 1 LS7.

My LS7 story is a PRIME example of "reliability".

I owned the car for 1 year, purchased it with 18k miles. I put 20k miles in one year, did around 300-500 laps. 28-32 MPG on Highway, I average 16.4-17.5mpg city, WITH WOT pulls and many downshifts...Previous owner DID track my car FYI, with slicks.

I never once put it on slicks in the past 20k miles( I do have a pair )

YES, I SHOULD of taken the correct steps in order to insure efficiency for my driving conditions, BUT I didn't. SO, it is my fault, which I accept, NOT THE LS7's fault.

I'll be happy with an 383 LS7 or 427 LS7, for my goal, I will need a VERY strong Oil system and valve train.

I used Mobil 1. I changed my oil every 3k miles and I had the stock oil system.

I saw oil temps as high as 270 the day of destruction, then I would back off and cool down.

Unfortunately, it was just spring failure do to driving conditions and I'm pretty positive that my 6-7k forced downshift at 4:39 in my video (trying to follow Jmorgan's speed with slicks ) is a contributing factor to the spring failing as well.

It didn't fail till many hours later in the day and under NO load.

Everything has happens for a reason.

Anyone have info for me on ITB's? I am familiar with Accurate Injections set up...
Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I'd like to see any Ferarri, Porsche Or Lambo that can take this type of race abuse plus the mileage. Most F cars and Lambos never even get up to 15,000 miles of street driving.

LS7 is a great engine.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:42 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want to get people too excited BUT.

We are considering doing a de-stroke, ITB's (individual Throttle Bodies), LOTS OF RPMS, NASTY road race cam!

I'm thinking an efficient road race set up with a huge/tall power curve.

Honestly guys, 500HP works well for me! I could adjust to 600 N/A, don't get me wrong. My goal is not power, its strength, REVS, longevity.

What do you guys think? Keep it 427 or take it down a notch?

-Adam
Been there done that! Agree with you as I am happy with 500 tq at the wheels. Plenty of power for me for rr application. That said, even if you built a motor with durability in mind, IMO I think it's best to be pro active & open her up ~15k miles (12x track days/yr). I'll subscribe to your next build. Good luck. I'm in the middle of my 3rd build & just going back to stock bottom & a minor tweaks on heads (again leaning towards durability) & be done with. Run her hard again but only this time around, I'll be really pro active & carefully examine the heads annually or after 12 track days w/~ 15k miles (whichever occurs first). As far as the critics of the ls7, ignore those guys. There will always be more ls7/z06 failures simply cuz there are more of them being driven hard or being abuse.

Last edited by 1stZ; 08-11-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another one bites the dust!