Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dumba$$ backed into my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Dumba$$ backed into my car

So my friend and I were just leaving the sonic drive through window. As you exit their parking lot you must make a right turn onto garden of the god’s road.

So I am sitting there waiting for this Chevy 2500 truck to make his right turn at the exit to sonic and all the sudden I see his backup lights come on.
I’m thinking, "is this guy really going to back up?" and before I can get it into reverse I am leaning on the horn and the ******* backs right up over the front of my car!

I’m dumb founded as to why he would do that! Here he is waiting for an opening in the traffic to merge onto the road, not an obstacle in sight and backs up over my car.

So as you might imagine I am pretty pissed and this 60+ year old guy who gets out and imp telling him "that's just f-ing great! What the hell were you doing! Are you stupid or something? Did you not hear me honking my horn?"
He said he was sorry and that he did hear the horn but did not see me as he backed up. That he wanted to exit at the other driveway (which is the inbound for the restaurant) I guess because he didn’t want to make a U turn up the road if he had followed the rules and made the right turn.

So I tell him that he has caused at least 5,000 worth of damage with that little act of brilliance!
He said he will pay for it or have his insurance company pay for it.

I got his info and called the cops but they told me they won't respond to a parking lot as its private property! That I should follow cold reporting procedure and report the accident within 72 hours.

I took the car to the body shop (I am an insurance agent) and explained the situation. It’s going to need a new front bumper cover, repaint hood and 2 new headlights (at $980.00 each)
total estimate with labor comes to just over 4100 bucks!

The good news is that my car had minor damage to the bumper and headlights due to the sand on the roads and it was really bothering me! So hopefully if the claim gets processed smoothly it will be all like new again.
I am trying to do everything I can to keep it out of carfax hands because I know the value of the car will be significantly less if car fax shows front end damage on a Z06. I can only imagine what a prospective buyer would assume with that info.

So I am going to take pics of the damage and keep on file so if it ever comes up I can at least explain what happened and have proof of the damage to show it was only comedic and the post collision actually put the car in better condition then pre accident.

I don't know if that will help the value but it sure can't hurt!

Anyway ill post pics tomorrow and keep everyone posted on the progress.
They told me about 4 days to get the parts and about 4 days to repair it.
In the mean time I can get a rental YEAY!
I do have another vehicle to drive but why put miles on my other car?
This sucks!

Last edited by bass mechanic; 08-13-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:00 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Sorry to hear that. We sit so low that if we're close behind a truck or SUV we can move out of sight. Your horn should have been a clue for sure. Keep looking on the bright side, as you said, that sand damage was bothering you anyway.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:04 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Some people can really be stupid. A couple of years ago I was driving past Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield. A pickup was trying to turn left from their lot(almost impossible to do, due to the heavy traffic) onto Campbell St. He starts to pull out(he is clear of the drive) into the street and then decides he can't make it, so he puts his truck in reverse and tries to backup into the driveway. Only problem was that a new Corvette vert was behind him. When the P/U pulled out into the street the Corvette pulled up. The Corvette driver laid on the horn, but the P/U kept backing up, over the Corvette's hood, etc.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:11 AM
mustang281man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man it seems like vettes are getting backed into every other day due to the fact people cant see them. that sucks
Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by mustang281man
man it seems like vettes are getting backed into every other day due to the fact people cant see them. that sucks
Corvettes aren't really that much lower then other cars. My Mercedes 4-door sedan is only 7 inches taller then my Z06.

But a high riding truck can't see either of them over the tailgate.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to read this. Accidents happen. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:17 PM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks. Lots of drivers don't pay attention to their 360 while they drive.

Your Z will be just like new before u know it.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:49 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The same happened to me last Sunday. I didn't see who did it and I was able to buff most of the marks off. Only had to change to bumper scoop trim but I now have cracks in the paint on the bumper and hood that you can't see from 5 feet away. Don't know whether to paint or not. I'll see how much it bothers me in time.

Sorry it happened to you. I know how you feel.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:53 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by blaine123
Sucks. Lots of drivers don't pay attention to their 360 while they drive.
I sure hope most drivers do pay attention to their 360, since 360 is a full circle and that would mean what's in front of you. Sorry, couldn't resist - I assume you meant 180 which would be in back of you.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

I know it sucks, but I don't get why people get out and yell. What is that going to do to help the situation? I had a lady merge into me on I-95 while I was blasting the horn. Didn't do a bunch of damage but I had JUST got the car. Her car went out of control and ate the gaurd rail as I came to a stop. I just got in insurance information and let the police handle the rest. Yelling is not gonna fix anything/get anything accomplished.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I sure hope most drivers do pay attention to their 360, since 360 is a full circle and that would mean what's in front of you. Sorry, couldn't resist - I assume you meant 180 which would be in back of you.
10% don't even pay attention to what in front of them either while they are driving. What is on their phone seems to be more important than driving.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

I have an update, I went to a new body shop and asked if they were one of our preferred body shops. they said they werent on the list but would like to be.

since I sell more insurance than anyone in the state for my company and told them if they did me a favor i would send all of my collision repair to their shop, we worked out a deal.

the insurance is going to take care of the damage their insured did, and in addition to
that the body shop wants to hook me up by removing every last bit of cosmedic damage the car has (which is not visable from at least 10 feet away from road debris rock chips ect) and has agreed to repaint my fenders, doors and rear quarter panels! in addition to that replacing my fog lights and rear brake duct scoops!
the are also replacing the front lip that always hits the ground when approaching driveways.
all for FREE!!!!
i have contacted the people at our home office to get them set up as a preferred body shop.
sometimes being an insurance agent has it's perks!

so now i will have about 90% of my car repainted and when it's done it will look like it rolled off the showroom floor!

to be more speciffic about the current condition not counting the damage that was caused. we all know how rocks tend to chip the paint around the rear quarter panels. and general road debris you might expect on a car with 45k miles on it.
i think the previous owner may have lived on a dirt road. so you can imagine the minor sand blasting you get on the lights and paint finish.

with a good wax it looks 99% fine to the untrained eye, but in direct sunlight you can see a good deal of white specks in the surface of the clearcoat. on the hood and fenders ect..
after it's all done it should be perfect and with some clear bra it will stay that way.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
I have an update, I went to a new body shop and asked if they were one of our preferred body shops. they said they werent on the list but would like to be.

since I sell more insurance than anyone in the state for my company and told them if they did me a favor i would send all of my collision repair to their shop, we worked out a deal.

the insurance is going to take care of the damage their insured did, and in addition to
that the body shop wants to hook me up by removing every last bit of cosmedic damage the car has (which is not visable from at least 10 feet away from road debris rock chips ect) and has agreed to repaint my fenders, doors and rear quarter panels! in addition to that replacing my fog lights and rear brake duct scoops!
the are also replacing the front lip that always hits the ground when approaching driveways.
all for FREE!!!!
i have contacted the people at our home office to get them set up as a preferred body shop.
sometimes being an insurance agent has it's perks!

so now i will have about 90% of my car repainted and when it's done it will look like it rolled off the showroom floor!

to be more speciffic about the current condition not counting the damage that was caused. we all know how rocks tend to chip the paint around the rear quarter panels. and general road debris you might expect on a car with 45k miles on it.
i think the previous owner may have lived on a dirt road. so you can imagine the minor sand blasting you get on the lights and paint finish.

with a good wax it looks 99% fine to the untrained eye, but in direct sunlight you can see a good deal of white specks in the surface of the clearcoat. on the hood and fenders ect..
after it's all done it should be perfect and with some clear bra it will stay that way.
Kaching! Nicely done. As for the clear bra; highly recommended. I put Venture Shield on my car using a company called Clear Pro. Lance gave me a lifetime guarantee on material and labor. In '06 he was using the old formulation of Venture Shield film which yellowed and got dull after 2 years. He reinstalled the new formulation in '08 which was still clear and glossy until I sold the car in May.

Be sure to have the rear brake duct area done along with the usual.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:08 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent almost a year building a '88 GT 5.0 to have a dip**** ram it at the gas pump because I took too long and he forgot he had his horse-trailer back there and floored it near me, ramming the car with the trailer as it cut inside his turn radius.

I was pissed.

Cops don't care, it's private properly.

The guy actually cut me a personal check for the avg. of 3 estimates I faxed him.

Insurance would not pay for it one dime.

Be careful. This guy could get away with it ticket and insurance-hike free and not owe you a dime unless you sue him. I was lucky that the guy who hit me owned a company and didn't want to risk the bad press/problems and could afford to cut the relatively minor ($1500 in my case) check.

Best of luck. That sucks. Stupid drivers suck.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:05 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by BSSN
I spent almost a year building a '88 GT 5.0 to have a dip**** ram it at the gas pump because I took too long and he forgot he had his horse-trailer back there and floored it near me, ramming the car with the trailer as it cut inside his turn radius.

I was pissed.

Cops don't care, it's private properly.

The guy actually cut me a personal check for the avg. of 3 estimates I faxed him.

Insurance would not pay for it one dime.

Be careful. This guy could get away with it ticket and insurance-hike free and not owe you a dime unless you sue him. I was lucky that the guy who hit me owned a company and didn't want to risk the bad press/problems and could afford to cut the relatively minor ($1500 in my case) check.

Best of luck. That sucks. Stupid drivers suck.
no everything is cool, being an insurance agent i know what my rights are as a claiment, the guys has coverage, even if its the state minimum will be well more than enough to cover my loss. the estimate has been made and the adjuster should be calling me monday to settle up with a check.

Get notified of new replies

To Dumba$$ backed into my car

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dumba$$ backed into my car