Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] SCT Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:04 PM
mcrams
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCT Tuners

Trying to flash my buddy's Z today with a custom tune using an SCT tuner.
When I get to the page to flash the tune I get the message "vehicle needs to be updated by your GM dealer". Tune cannot be flashed. Anyone seen this problem and what is the solution.
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

PM Jim(Halltech) or Carlos(myhardtop) at vette-air. Im sure they can help you.

Last edited by TARANTULA; 08-18-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:23 AM
juicedz06
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

junk it and have a forum sponsor do a real tune
Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Dizz
Pro

Originally Posted by juicedz06
junk it and have a forum sponsor do a real tune
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
PM Jim(Halltech) or Carlos(myhardtop) at vette-air. Im sure they can help you.
These guys are forum sponsors and sell SCT's
Old 08-19-2010, 12:04 PM
hamta
Racer

Received 480 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
These guys are forum sponsors and sell SCT's
Jim did my tne through the SCT handheld and not only did it work great when I did one think wrong, Jim was more than happy to help me out and I was the one that made the mistake (user error). The STC performed flawlessly and Jim's tune was fantastic. It unleashed the beast that GM had hidden all along.

I would use Halltech tune with the SCT again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Carlos' tune (Vette Air) works great for me. It's a custom tune, not a canned SCT tune.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM
mcrams
Burning Brakes

This is a Carlos tune, when connected get the message " vehicle must be updated at GM dealer" no one, not even Carlos, has heard of that message. appt at dealer Monday to see what's up. Thought someone here may know of something.
Thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by u1arunit
Carlos' tune (Vette Air) works great for me. It's a custom tune, not a canned SCT tune.
What's a canned SCT tune? I have one and didn't see that parmeter.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:02 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimman
What's a canned SCT tune? I have one and didn't see that parmeter.
haha.. I was meaning that the SCT unit can be shipped with the SCT provided generic tune(s) as well.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrams
This is a Carlos tune, when connected get the message " vehicle must be updated at GM dealer" no one, not even Carlos, has heard of that message. appt at dealer Monday to see what's up. Thought someone here may know of something.
Thanks
What year is your car?

Mark
Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM
mcrams
Burning Brakes

His car is a 2006.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 PM
mcrams
Burning Brakes

ttt
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I had that problem with my 2005 C6.

I had a Diablo Predator and every so often they would put out updated canned tunes or tunes for different levels of mods.

When one the new tunes came out I tried to install it, but the Predator came up with a message similar to yours.

GM had come out with a new ECM program, and the new Predator tune required that the ECM be flashed with the updated GM program before it could take the new Predator tune.

I'm sure that you have the same situation. If your car hasn't been to the dealer in a while then it probably has an old outdated ECM program that needs to be updated.

Bob
Old 08-21-2010, 09:32 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

BINGO
Old 08-23-2010, 02:24 PM
mcrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I had that problem with my 2005 C6.

I had a Diablo Predator and every so often they would put out updated canned tunes or tunes for different levels of mods.

When one the new tunes came out I tried to install it, but the Predator came up with a message similar to yours.

GM had come out with a new ECM program, and the new Predator tune required that the ECM be flashed with the updated GM program before it could take the new Predator tune.

I'm sure that you have the same situation. If your car hasn't been to the dealer in a while then it probably has an old outdated ECM program that needs to be updated.

Bob
Thanks Bob.
We took the car to the dealer he uploaded the latest ECM program. Connected tuner and all is good now.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:45 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrams
Thanks Bob.
We took the car to the dealer he uploaded the latest ECM program. Connected tuner and all is good now.
Cool, let us know how it goes.

Remember, his tune [Reginald's] it's pretty aggressive; that's how he wanted it but remember, WE can easily adjust it up or down via email in a flash.

Those who are against this method of tuning don't know crap!!! Yeah, tuning in person is always best but many guys don't have that flexibility or some don't want to full with a laptop...this is a great alternative.

Let me refresh some memory, the SCT tuner device can be purchased as a virgin unit. Once done so, WE load our OWN tuning adjustments into the device just for you based on your inputs to us. Unlike other tuners out there, we HAVE the SCT software in our finger tips and can load tunes really fast...no need to have a middle man [folks at SCT] flash it for us.

For example, you can come to us for a dyno, we can tune it via HP Tuners and once done, we can load the tune or tunes into a virgin/blank SCT unit so we can then drive back home and adjust from one tune to the next or whatever other parameters we load in per your request and combo.

Let’s say you want an E10 and an E85 tune…done! Or an NOS and an NA tune…done; the list goes on and on. All you do is push a button and in seconds you can go from one tune to the next. The device is small enough to fit in your glove box or behind your seat.

Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To SCT Tuners

Old 08-24-2010, 12:06 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hamta
It unleashed the beast that GM had hidden all along.

And everybody wonders why GM voids the warranty for a tune.

This is like blinds' mans' bluff.
No data logging, no AFR; must be a very conservative tune, like GM's with a torque management delete.
Or better yet, it's playing ping-pong with your sodium filled exhaust valves and the top of your cast pistons.

This hammer action actually feels faster, until one day you have the $12,000.00 long block blues.

BTW the hand pushing the piston down feels slower than the hammer pounding the piston down, but in reality, the hand develops more torque (feels slower) to get you faster down the road.

Be careful who you let play brain surgery with your $12,000 engine.
If it were me, I'd make sure they have a long list of engineering credentials and have state-of-the-art research and development facilities; kinda like GM. Or at least be insured with Loyd's of London.

Good Luck!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:18 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i look at it this way, if i am going to void my warranty, im not going to do it over a few HP some tuner can get. i would rather put somthing like a cam in and have someone who knows what they are doing tune the car to get some real results.
to flash the ecu and monky with what GM programmed for a reason and will stand behind if somthing goes wrong is as close to perfect as i really care to be.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
i look at it this way, if i am going to void my warranty, im not going to do it over a few HP some tuner can get. i would rather put somthing like a cam in and have someone who knows what they are doing tune the car to get some real results.
to flash the ecu and monky with what GM programmed for a reason and will stand behind if somthing goes wrong is as close to perfect as i really care to be.
On that same thought of changing some of the engine parameters; heads, cam, exhaust, intake, fuel octane requirement and PROGRAMING. These all work together, changing some of these will not be the complete package. You would have to start all over with engineering the whole package with no $$$$$$$$$$ but the customers or previous customers moneys.
But detonation FEELS fast. Tune me up or take GM's 100,000 mile power train warranty, what tuner can offer that, GM's tuning engineers do.

Quick Reply: [Z06] SCT Tuners