Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Broke parking brake, need help to find correct part

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Broke parking brake, need help to find correct part

Changing one of my rear rotors and made the ultimately stupid mistake of leaving the parking brake on while changing the rotor (duh). Sometimes the rotors get stuck on the stud and need to be banged off, but when this one just wouldn't budge hit after hit, I should have known something was not right.

Anyways, the short, I tore off the parking brake shoe completely with the rotor. Does anyone know what parts I need to order? It seems the brake pads are bonded to the shoe (one assembly). On Rock auto I see the whole spindal with parking brake or just the parking brake (big diff in pricing). I must say after working on this car many times, and my C4and C5, I have NEVER had to replace a parking brake. Any advice would be appreciated if anyone has replaced a parking brake.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

You should only need to replace the parking brake shoes and the springs. Problem is getting them mounted without pulling the hubs. The one the right side of my car hung up on the rotor and pulled off far enough that it popped the springs loose from the backing plate. Have tried each time I changed rotors to get that thing back in place and haven't been successful.

My Tahoe has the same PB setup and each time I pull the rotors off from it they destroy the PB shoes as the rotors get a ridge of rust and dirt build up that reduces the size of the drum so much I can't possibly loosen the shoes far enough for them to clear the stuff.

Bill
Old 10-25-2010, 04:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Take a look at this site:

http://compnine.com/index.php?u=1&ye...04&grouptype=B

AFAIK, all those parts are for a base C6 as well as a Z06, but check on that!!

It looks like the item# K02 includes the brake shoe and the spring. If you plug in the part# 12455804 which is the kit into Gene Culley's website, it shows that the Forum discount price is less than $56.

Good luck!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-25-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Take a look at this site:

http://compnine.com/index.php?u=1&ye...04&grouptype=B

AFAIK, all those parts are for a base C6 as well as a Z06, but check on that!!

It looks like the item# K02 includes the brake shoe and the spring. If you plug in the part# 12455804 which is the kit into Gene Culley's website, it shows that the Forum discount price is less than $56.

Good luck!!

Bob
Thanks, that is the part I ordered. Some other bolt type thing fell off as well during the whole debacle. Not sure what it is for, but I will find out. I am SOO pissed at myself. Been working on these cars too long to make rookie mistakes.:o

At least I can still drive the car, also the spring luckily did not pop off the back.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Thanks, that is the part I ordered. Some other bolt type thing fell off as well during the whole debacle. Not sure what it is for, but I will find out. I am SOO pissed at myself. Been working on these cars too long to make rookie mistakes.:o

At least I can still drive the car, also the spring luckily did not pop off the back.
Getting that spring into the shoe and keeping it attached to the backing plate will be fun.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Broke parking brake, need help to find correct part

Quick Reply: [Z06] Broke parking brake, need help to find correct part