Z06/Z07 differences to Zr1? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Z06/Z07 differences to Zr1?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
racer10
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Z06/Z07 differences to Zr1?

Aside from the LS9 to the LS7 can anyone explain the difference between the Z06 and the Zr1 if the Z07 option and the Carbon Fiber option are added to the Z06 . Are there meaningful differences in say for example cornering , shifting ,ride or other areas that make the ZR1 worth the extra bucks that are outside of the additional horsepower the ZR1 brings to the table? Thanks.
racer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 33,382
Thanked 384 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer10 View Post
Aside from the LS9 to the LS7 can anyone explain the difference between the Z06 and the Zr1 if the Z07 option and the Carbon Fiber option are added to the Z06 . Are there meaningful differences in say for example cornering , shifting ,ride or other areas that make the ZR1 worth the extra bucks that are outside of the additional horsepower the ZR1 brings to the table? Thanks.
Not really much difference other then the engine, different gearing in the transmission and the CF hood on the ZR1. But if you were to purchase the Z06 Carbon Limited Edition, instead of the Z06 with the Z07 and CFZ options , you would also get a CF hood like the ZR1(just not with the peek-a-boo window).
JoesC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
04_Z06_CE
CF Senior Member
 
04_Z06_CE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Westlake Village, Ca
Posts: 3,717
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
But if you were to purchase the Z06 Carbon Limited Edition, instead of the Z06 with the Z07 and CFZ options , you would also get a CF hood like the ZR1(just not with the peek-a-boo window).
Thats just dumb, but thanks for the good info
04_Z06_CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
OnPoint's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Wichita Kansas - 2015 Z06 & 2010 ZR1
Posts: 15,026
Thanked 939 Times in 547 Posts
Default

I think if you get the full bore Z07 and CFZ stuff you basically get a ZR1, but with the LS7 instead of the LS9.
OnPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
 
Anthony @ LGMotorsports's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Lewisville TX
Posts: 16,248

Thanked 282 Times in 212 Posts
Default

I haven't looked but do the 2011 Z06/CF Z06's have the five way adjustable traction control? That's a big one if you have the car out in a number of road conditions.
__________________
Anthony

LG Motorsports

DIRECT DEALERS FOR:
BRAKES: PFC, BREMBO, STOPTECH, GSTOP, WILWOOD
WHEELS: FORGELINE, LG, Fiske, HRE
972-429-1963
anthony@lgmotorsports.com
INSTAGRAM
Anthony @ LGMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
OJCrush08
CF Senior Member
 
OJCrush08's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Manassas VA
Posts: 839
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No PTM on the Z07's - and that is a big deal in my book. Check out the discussion of PTM in the Motor Trend shootout between a ZR1 and Porsche Turbo. The professional driver could not beat the PTM when set at the highest level. There are of course other differences like the tranny ratios. Not sure if the Z07 has the beefier drive train pieces that the ZR1 has.

I was thinking hard about moving up from my '08 Z06 to the Z07 and was very surprised that they are hard to find. It seems that after the dismal sales of Z06's in '10, plus the price point of the new loaded Z07's (even discounted) has placed them too close to a heavily discounted ZR1.

Talked with Kerbeck (largest Vette dealer) when I looked online at their '11 inventory and could not find EVEN ONE '11 Z06. They told me that they may not stock any, and if they do, it will be very few. Of course they will do special orders. They told me that from one side, the GS has just killed the Z06, and with the ZR1 prices getting closer and closer to a loaded Z07, the Z06's are getting hit from above, also. Frankly, I was surprised that they were willing to be so candid with me. If the world's largest Corvette dealership is doing this, how much longer do you think the current Z06 model will be around? Now, if you do get a Z07, it will be pretty rare, and that will be the one good thing. But realistically, all of these cars depreciate like M/F's, so they are not really investments unless you are planning to hold for 25 or so thirty years. Trust me, as an avid investor, there are much better places to put your investment $$$$$.

Sooo, in my case, I am going with a loaded '10 ZR1 that is discounted nearly $18k from MSRP. If I want more than 638 h/p and 610 ft/lbs torque, I can get over 700 flywheel from LPE for about $3k.

This is not a knock on the Z06, I really enjoyed my car, but I think this is a great time to take advantage of the ZR1 pricing since soon they will be drastically reducing ZR1 production. This one I am keeping for a long time. I believe it will be many years before any C7 or C8 eclipses ZR1 performance. Chevy is putting major dollars into the Cruze, Volt, etc, that is where the major bucks are going. The C7 will have a much smaller displacement making about the same as today's LS3 by virtue of DI - according to what has been leaked so far. The new Z06 or ZR1 will probably be a S/C version of this engine with 525-550 h/p - strictly my guess.

I think the C6 Z06's and ZR1s are incredible cars that we are lucky to have offered to us, and those of us who have them are very fortunate indeed.

OJCrush08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
jschindler
CF Senior Member
 
jschindler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 26,366
Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJCrush08 View Post
No PTM on the Z07's - and that is a big deal in my book. Check out the discussion of PTM in the Motor Trend shootout between a ZR1 and Porsche Turbo. The professional driver could not beat the PTM when set at the highest level. There are of course other differences like the tranny ratios. Not sure if the Z07 has the beefier drive train pieces that the ZR1 has.

I was thinking hard about moving up from my '08 Z06 to the Z07 and was very surprised that they are hard to find. It seems that after the dismal sales of Z06's in '10, plus the price point of the new loaded Z07's (even discounted) has placed them too close to a heavily discounted ZR1.

Talked with Kerbeck (largest Vette dealer) when I looked online at their '11 inventory and could not find EVEN ONE '11 Z06. They told me that they may not stock any, and if they do, it will be very few. Of course they will do special orders. They told me that from one side, the GS has just killed the Z06, and with the ZR1 prices getting closer and closer to a loaded Z07, the Z06's are getting hit from above, also. Frankly, I was surprised that they were willing to be so candid with me. If the world's largest Corvette dealership is doing this, how much longer do you think the current Z06 model will be around? Now, if you do get a Z07, it will be pretty rare, and that will be the one good thing. But realistically, all of these cars depreciate like M/F's, so they are not really investments unless you are planning to hold for 25 or so thirty years. Trust me, as an avid investor, there are much better places to put your investment $$$$$.

Sooo, in my case, I am going with a loaded '10 ZR1 that is discounted nearly $18k from MSRP. If I want more than 638 h/p and 610 ft/lbs torque, I can get over 700 flywheel from LPE for about $3k.

This is not a knock on the Z06, I really enjoyed my car, but I think this is a great time to take advantage of the ZR1 pricing since soon they will be drastically reducing ZR1 production. This one I am keeping for a long time. I believe it will be many years before any C7 or C8 eclipses ZR1 performance. Chevy is putting major dollars into the Cruze, Volt, etc, that is where the major bucks are going. The C7 will have a much smaller displacement making about the same as today's LS3 by virtue of DI - according to what has been leaked so far. The new Z06 or ZR1 will probably be a S/C version of this engine with 525-550 h/p - strictly my guess.

I think the C6 Z06's and ZR1s are incredible cars that we are lucky to have offered to us, and those of us who have them are very fortunate indeed.

See the link below. I've narrowed it to all 2011 Corvettes, sorted by price. It helps to go to the bottom of the page and make sure it is set to "250 per page" After you get to the second page (all ZR1's first) you'll start to see the high dollar Z06s with the Z06 (and carbon) package....
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...Id=2102&rn=250

NOTE: I just realized the link above starts on page 2 of the search. Page one has 250 ZR1's.
jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
GMuffley
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 6,007
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJCrush08 View Post
No PTM on the Z07's - and that is a big deal in my book. Check out the discussion of PTM in the Motor Trend shootout between a ZR1 and Porsche Turbo. The professional driver could not beat the PTM when set at the highest level.
GMuffley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
racerns
CF Senior Member
 
racerns's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Smithfield VA
Posts: 2,413
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

It is also just not the LS9 that is different in the powertrain, it is also the rest of the stronger drivetrain components like the clutch ,tranny, and rear end. I am not sure about the drive shaft and half shafts either.

There are also some other small cosmetic differences like the hood and front fenders.
racerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
GOLD72
CF Senior Member
 
GOLD72's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 8,328
Thanked 109 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerns View Post
It is also just not the LS9 that is different in the powertrain, it is also the rest of the stronger drivetrain components like the clutch ,tranny, and rear end. I am not sure about the drive shaft and half shafts either.

There are also some other small cosmetic differences like the hood and front fenders.
Once you have equalized the features and options content between the two cars, you are still left with a ~$25k premium to buy the ZR1. GM didn't help things when they increased the spread between the two cars for MY2011 by an additional $2900.
GOLD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
GOLD72
CF Senior Member
 
GOLD72's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 8,328
Thanked 109 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschindler View Post
See the link below. I've narrowed it to all 2011 Corvettes, sorted by price. It helps to go to the bottom of the page and make sure it is set to "250 per page" After you get to the second page (all ZR1's first) you'll start to see the high dollar Z06s with the Z06 (and carbon) package....
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...Id=2102&rn=250

NOTE: I just realized the link above starts on page 2 of the search. Page one has 250 ZR1's.
Great site Jim. My hometown dealer has my car exactly with the exception of the interior color.
GOLD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
jschindler
CF Senior Member
 
jschindler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 26,366
Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLD72 View Post
Great site Jim. My hometown dealer has my car exactly with the exception of the interior color.
Let me know when you pick it up....lunch is on me, but you have to drive
jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 33,382
Thanked 384 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJCrush08 View Post
No PTM on the Z07's - and that is a big deal in my book. Check out the discussion of PTM in the Motor Trend shootout between a ZR1 and Porsche Turbo. The professional driver could not beat the PTM when set at the highest level. There are of course other differences like the tranny ratios. Not sure if the Z07 has the beefier drive train pieces that the ZR1 has.

I was thinking hard about moving up from my '08 Z06 to the Z07 and was very surprised that they are hard to find. It seems that after the dismal sales of Z06's in '10, plus the price point of the new loaded Z07's (even discounted) has placed them too close to a heavily discounted ZR1.

Talked with Kerbeck (largest Vette dealer) when I looked online at their '11 inventory and could not find EVEN ONE '11 Z06. They told me that they may not stock any, and if they do, it will be very few. Of course they will do special orders. They told me that from one side, the GS has just killed the Z06, and with the ZR1 prices getting closer and closer to a loaded Z07, the Z06's are getting hit from above, also. Frankly, I was surprised that they were willing to be so candid with me. If the world's largest Corvette dealership is doing this, how much longer do you think the current Z06 model will be around? Now, if you do get a Z07, it will be pretty rare, and that will be the one good thing. But realistically, all of these cars depreciate like M/F's, so they are not really investments unless you are planning to hold for 25 or so thirty years. Trust me, as an avid investor, there are much better places to put your investment $$$$$.

Sooo, in my case, I am going with a loaded '10 ZR1 that is discounted nearly $18k from MSRP. If I want more than 638 h/p and 610 ft/lbs torque, I can get over 700 flywheel from LPE for about $3k.

This is not a knock on the Z06, I really enjoyed my car, but I think this is a great time to take advantage of the ZR1 pricing since soon they will be drastically reducing ZR1 production. This one I am keeping for a long time. I believe it will be many years before any C7 or C8 eclipses ZR1 performance. Chevy is putting major dollars into the Cruze, Volt, etc, that is where the major bucks are going. The C7 will have a much smaller displacement making about the same as today's LS3 by virtue of DI - according to what has been leaked so far. The new Z06 or ZR1 will probably be a S/C version of this engine with 525-550 h/p - strictly my guess.

I think the C6 Z06's and ZR1s are incredible cars that we are lucky to have offered to us, and those of us who have them are very fortunate indeed.

My local dealer, who just happens to be a Corvette Forum sponser, and is the 5th largest Corvette dealer, just happens to have three 2011 Z06's, with the Z07 & CFZ options, in stock. Torch Red, Supersonic Blue and Inferno Orange. All three have a MSRP of $96,610, but Wes Milby will treat you right on the price.
JoesC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #14
OJCrush08
CF Senior Member
 
OJCrush08's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Manassas VA
Posts: 839
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
My local dealer, who just happens to be a Corvette Forum sponser, and is the 5th largest Corvette dealer, just happens to have three 2011 Z06's, with the Z07 & CFZ options, in stock. Torch Red, Supersonic Blue and Inferno Orange. All three have a MSRP of $96,610, but Wes Milby will treat you right on the price.
Yes, I think you can probably get the Z07 loaded for about $85k, you can get a loaded '10 ZR1 for about $104-105k (MSRP was a little over $122k)

It's all good for us addicts...
OJCrush08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
GOLD72
CF Senior Member
 
GOLD72's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 8,328
Thanked 109 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschindler View Post
Let me know when you pick it up....lunch is on me, but you have to drive
You're on Jim anytime! But don't get too excited. I still think it will be somewhere in the Feb-April time frame next year.
GOLD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
z51vett
CF Senior Member
 
z51vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: cumming ga
Posts: 4,594
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Just a note Z06's don't pay gas guzzler taxes 12 miles to the gal. is what my buddy see's his Z06 and mine get about 28 on highway and 20 in town. I know we don"t buy Corvettes for gas mileage but the dressed up Z06 is a better value to me.
z51vett
z51vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
tim414
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '12
 
tim414's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Pottsboro; Sometimes Dallas Texas
Posts: 6,100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPoint View Post
I think if you get the full bore Z07 and CFZ stuff you basically get a ZR1, but with the LS7 instead of the LS9.
difference being the engine and gearing....shifter linkage diff as well I think....the algorythm for traction control is diff.....I think it's called "PTM" is it? These are the diffs that I'm aware of....

the clutch as well and all the things that make it the "king"

Last edited by tim414; 11-14-2010 at 11:31 AM.
tim414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
Jet Jockey & C5
CF Senior Member
 
Jet Jockey & C5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2000
Location: Calhoun, GA / USA GA
Posts: 642
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I bought my 10 Z06 over a ZR1 because I prefer the LS7 over the LS9. I can always add the carbon pieces & wheels / brakes if I want. But getting a rare 2010 Z06 + the 0% offer was too good to pass up. Also, getting over 600 HP is only a few mods away on an LS7 if so desired.

LS7 doesn't heat soak like an LS9 on track lap after lap. I will always prefer NA over boosted.
Jet Jockey & C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Z06/Z07 differences to Zr1?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Will ZR1 wheels fit the new Z06? pkincy C7 Z06 Discussion 7 09-19-2016 04:27 PM
    WTT for 2016 Z06/Z07 ZR1OUS C7 Corvettes for Sale 3 06-15-2016 04:28 AM
    comparing ZR1 to Z06 TGiuliante C6 Corvette ZR1 18 03-31-2015 11:35 PM
    Difference between Z06 and ZR1 bcoggin C6 Z06 Discussion 7 12-09-2008 12:30 PM
    Difference between ZR1 and Z06 bcoggin C6 Corvette ZR1 1 12-09-2008 09:52 AM


    Tags
    c6, cf, corvette, cosmetic, differences, hood, motortrend, older, option, performance, results, tire, z06, z07, zr1

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 AM.