Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Front License Plate Warning From Texas....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:11 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Front License Plate Warning From Texas....

Got another warning today from the Texas Department of Public Saftey (State Highway Patrol) for not having a front plate. This is the third one (warning) since May 31st, 2010. I don't know what it is about my Z06 that attracts this Highway Patrol so much. I never was really bothered in my convertible Vette with no front plate (well, not until I got a ticket that is). My Z06 is NOT red either. It's blue.

I suppose I need to break down and buy one of those removeable front license plate brackets/holders. Anybody know who sells the "removeable" front license plate holder/bracket kits? I saw one on here before but did not get around to ordering one. I sure need to do it now....this Leo hangs out in my area and we're on first name basis now. Hell, the last four times I got stopped it's this SAME Leo......I wish to hell he would leave me alone. I've only gotten two tickets from him in the four times I've been stopped but dam....this IS getting old.....where the hell are they when you need them? (messing w/someone)

Anyway, anyone remember or who know of the name of place that sells the removeable license plate bracket? NO DRILLING....Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
9sec383
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
Got another warning today from the Texas Department of Public Saftey (State Highway Patrol) for not having a front plate. This is the third one (warning) since May 31st, 2010. I don't know what it is about my Z06 that attracts this Highway Patrol so much. I never was really bothered in my convertible Vette with no front plate (well, not until I got a ticket that is). My Z06 is NOT red either. It's blue.

I suppose I need to break down and buy one of those removeable front license plate brackets/holders. Anybody know who sells the "removeable" front license plate holder/bracket kits? I saw one on here before but did not get around to ordering one. I sure need to do it now....this Leo hangs out in my area and we're on first name basis now. Hell, the last four times I got stopped it's this SAME Leo......I wish to hell he would leave me alone. I've only gotten two tickets from him in the four times I've been stopped but dam....this IS getting old.....where the hell are they when you need them? (messing w/someone)

Anyway, anyone remember or who know of the name of place that sells the removeable license plate bracket? NO DRILLING....Thanks
God Bless Texas....lol
I havent been stopped for front plate with my bright yellow z yet...but its coming...the removable bracket is a great idea...im interested in one also
Lopez
Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
jeffreystar
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

pathetic....petty BS, any self respecting Trooper wouldn't / shouldn't be doing this crap, that's my personal opinion anyway.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Top Flight Reproductions has the removable plate holder.

Bill
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreystar
pathetic....petty BS, any self respecting Trooper wouldn't / shouldn't be doing this crap...
True dat, revenue collectors are another matter.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:26 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been stopped about 4 times in 20 yrs. They don't really give a rats *** when it comes to nice cars. I got a ticket for not having one on my Ferrari. I looked him in the eye and said, you really don't think I am going drill holes in the front of my Ferrari do you? To which he said, I wouldn't either.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:09 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
Got another warning today from the Texas Department of Public Saftey (State Highway Patrol) for not having a front plate. This is the third one (warning) since May 31st, 2010.

Actually you are luckey, DPS usually tickets if a warning has been issued for a offence then you are stopped for it in that time frame. In the past in this area DPS was not bothering people for NFP, but recently it has been happining more often. Something is up if the same guy gave you 3 warnings for the same thing in 6 months.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I know a lot of people that consider NFP tickets just part of the cost of ownership for vettes and other hi-profile cars. Glad I live in KY. No FP required.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:42 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I was stopped I think 2 times in the blue C6 and 3 times in the black Z. All of the ones with the Z were right after I got it, nothing since.

crossing my fingers they don't start getting bad about it.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Blue02Z06
Racer

at least you got off with a warning. I got a nice $140 ticket for NFP last July 4th in my vette. So much for American Pride.

The ***** statie even blatently cut off 2 other people on the HW just to pull me over. The way he treated me you would have thought i just robbed a bank.

I have the utmost respect for our law enforcement officers for doing what they do, but a $140 ticket for a NFP infraction is highway robbery.

Dave
Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by DCBE
Actually you are luckey, DPS usually tickets if a warning has been issued for a offence then you are stopped for it in that time frame. In the past in this area DPS was not bothering people for NFP, but recently it has been happining more often. Something is up if the same guy gave you 3 warnings for the same thing in 6 months.

To all who responded including Anthony...

I was sitting here thinking and I am wrong, the first one was from him but it was just before I parted with my convertible back in May of this year. Sorry fellas, I stand corrected. Two have been in the Z06 and one was in convertible. And you guys are correct about not getting a ticket on the second warning/short notice. Texas changed/revised the books it's front plate law here in our great State during the summer. He mentioned that he usually writes citations in this sorta instance.

On another note, I did try and attach the front plate before this event took place and the tag and holder are still in the car. I took the car to the dealership and had them installer the GM supplied plate holder (which is glued) and it did not stay on. Came off the same day. Same thing happened with my convertible which is what triggered me to have dealership install this one.

Anyway, front plates and Corvettes are a pain in the azz.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
i got mine from them too...had a warning within 24 hours of owning the dam car!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Default Front License Plate

A front plate is required in Alaska too. My car is still in Kentucky, so I haven't purchased a bracket for it yet, but when I do, it will probably be this one:

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-z06-...2006-2010.html

It's mounted off to the left side, so it has a nice look...Well, at least as nice as possible for a front plate! It's also a quick-release, so that helps too...
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

I bought a plate holder on the Forum, but rarely run with it on. The car just looks too good without it. If I get stopped I may put it back, but I'm going with the "I just took it off to detail the car for a show" excuse. Front plates on Corvettes!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
The website is:

www.topflightrepro.com
Old 11-22-2010, 11:50 PM
OldDominion
Advanced

Makes me happy that Oklahoma doesnt have a front plate requirement, nor do they do emissions testing or vehicle inspections.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:32 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

when i owned an SRT-10, i had a problem with a certain parking metermaid who kept singling me out for tickets. he would write me a ticket for being in a spot past the 2 hr limit although i had only been there 1.5 hrs. (young wanna be cop who was probably too dumb to get into police academy). it got so bad that i left obscene messages for him on my dash. his big mistake was when he drove out of his jurisdiction to my house and wrote me a ticket in my own driveway. i filed a formal complaint and never saw the guy again ... anywhere. haven't gotten a parking ticket since then either.

Get notified of new replies

To Front License Plate Warning From Texas....

Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

It's just another "money grab" by the state. They need the cash so watch out!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffreystar
pathetic....petty BS, any self respecting Trooper wouldn't / shouldn't be doing this crap, that's my personal opinion anyway.
There are so many morons on the road doing some crazy SH*T that's all they have?...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Texans might not realize it but the Texas DPS has been on a crusade for nearly three years now with writing citations for NFP. I chose to not chance it any longer and bought the Top Flight units for my two vettes over two years ago. Too many vette owners I knew were getting inconvenienced by DPS tickets.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Front License Plate Warning From Texas....