Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help - Coolant Sensor Died

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Ramsair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Help - Coolant Sensor Died

Wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else – 17xxx on my 2006 Z06 – went to meet some friends tonight and noticed half way there that a message came up – Hot Engine Condition – AC turned off (I was not driving with it on as it was 55 degrees tonight) ---- I looked down and my coolant gauge was at zero (as in not working) – this was after about a 5 mile ride and mostly doing about 50… not even any spirited driving. I clicked thru the display options and my oil was at 129 degrees (that would be normal for the type of driving I was doing and the outside air temp – the coolant display read XXX degrees F – (as in also not working).

There was no change in engine sound or performance – at that point I was committed to getting where I needed to be so I kept driving – and noticed the little yellowish orange engine symbol lit up… so do you think that is a default “engine issue” when the sensor goes out? I parked and let it sit for 2 hours – then had to drive home… same conditions. Upon pulling into the garage I popped the hood – no unusual smells – no leaks either so my thought is that the sensor died. There was no ping at all as I got the car up to 70 on the freeway.

I will take it to the dealership asap – but wanted to know if I risk any damage driving it with this condition temporarily. I know that air /fuel and timing is all coolant temp related… so I am a little wary.

Look forward to some of you chiming in – I have only owned the Z since August.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom ~

Chris
Old 11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramsair
I will take it to the dealership asap – but wanted to know if I risk any damage driving it with this condition temporarily.
Based upon what you've related your car's doing, you're taking the correct action.
I'm inclined to believe the issue's with a bad sensor, also.
One bad sensor feeding faulty data to the OBC could very well trigger another warning, the idea being to get the attention of a driver so they get the problem addressed ASAP.

Just posted to another forum member dealing with an air bag warning lamp he's getting, I'd bet that was a bad sensor also.

These cars are loaded with sensors so when they finally begin to reach the end of their service life we're all going to be hearing a LOT more stories of weird things based upon an indicator lamp. Many won't be real issue(s), rather input devices gone bad.

Won't be much longer and there'll be sensors tracking sensor performance, then we'll be safer than we could've possibly imagined.

Good luck, you might get outa this one relatively cheap insofar as LS-7 repairs go.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Ramsair
Racer

Thanks Landru,
I called the dealership and talked to a service advisor - the sensor does impact air, fuel and timing - I am going to limp in and have it changed out today.

I think you are right about the life span of the sensors - these cars most likely have more than their fair share.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to replace it today - I plan on waiting for it to be done - they told me it is quick fix.

Time for the "Fix the Z06" learning curve to begin ~

Chris
Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

If it was an actual overheat condition, say from a stuck thermostat, you would have also seen it registered on the coolant gauge. With the gauge registering zero it is obviously the sensor or wiring.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Landru
Race Director

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to replace it today - I plan on waiting for it to be done - they told me it is quick fix.
I'm sure it's a matter of unplugging one module & reinserting the new one, volia', done. That's why I suspect when these many sensors begin to fail, GM will clean-up for essentially nothing.

Time for the "Fix the Z06" learning curve to begin ~
LOL...honestly I just enjoy driving mine. If and/or when something fails that's where an active warranty really comes into its own. BTW sensors are one thing, and aside from GM's outrageous labor rates, the LS-7 has been known to fail in a big way. Like broke valve(s), valve spring(s) etc leading to beaucoup repair expense. A major LS-7 failure usually means a new motor is the only solution, new LS-7s run somewhere in the neighborhood of $18,000.

OK my friend having said that, and, because you're new ownder?
Checkout a few of the forum sponsored dealers, Fictner Chevrolet for example, who offer extended warranties (not GMPP because your original warranty expired) at a good discount vs the averasage dealership. One of these warranties has the potential of paying for itself the first time it's needed in the advent of a worse case scenario and a small price to sacrifice.

The benefit of driving & enjoying these cars for all they are, minus the specter of bankruptcy, is priceless.
Think about it, like any other 'insurance' it's an investement you woundn't regret if you ever need it.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Ramsair
Racer

So just got back from Freeway Chevrolet in the greater Phoenix area. Hour and a half in and out with a test drive with their master mechanic - good experience all around.

What they found was it was throwing a P0128 code for temp sensor and found ECU not seeing the t stat open at times. They were very through and replaced not only the sensor but the Thermostat as well. Their master Z06 mechanic and I then went for a ride – he explained that they see the tstat give out (or lock up) on these from time to time. The ride gave me a chance to “drill” him with newbie questions – end result I am more confident than ever that these cars are really bullet proof (minus the sensor type issues) and I made a new friend. He told me that he works on the Bondurant cars all the time – they have a few Z’s and he never sees engine, trans or rears on those – the normal C6’s are beat to death and are all coming apart on a regular basis… all 3 major components coming apart – his words not mine, (the C6’s – not the Z06’s) “ they are built to go fast but not on a road course, the Z06’s are basically race cars”.

The ride around and his expert ear also proved what I suspected, that my end links are shot and he said he would do all 4 next week for me – said it would take about an hour or so.

When I was buying my Z I decided the only used one I would get was one with an extended warranty - This one has it thru 2013 or 48k -- so no $ out of pocket. It is the GMPP – and I will most likely renew it – you can do it for up to 10 model years as long as you have less than 80k on the clock. The downside is no cam and tune... might have to think about this somemore...

The other thing the service advisor told me was that the computer protects the motor – thus if I had started to over heat it would cut fuel to the motor and prevent it from running to avoid damage. He said the only time it is really a factor is when centrifugal force pushes fuel from the pump on major G’s and keeps the motor going for those last killing seconds. No worries here… I mostly do in excess of a 100 on flat wide open straights (mostly).

Thanks for chiming in – good things happening on a Wednesday!

Chris
Old 11-25-2010, 12:36 AM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear a good outcome from working with a dealership.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Landru
Race Director

Hey Chris, that's great nes AND you made the right kind of friend.

The Corvette Specialst/wrench at the dealership I use drives a'08 Z06, himself. Can't get any better than that IMO, especially sweet when Chevrolet picks up the tab.

Glad as all getout you were on top of this enough to insist on some kind of warranty, also. These cars can be gawd-awful expensive to repair, can & does easily spoil the experince of ownership for those with tight budgets.

Now all you have to do is enjoy the begebbers outa one hellova world class car. Life is good.
Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours.

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Coolant Sensor Died

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help - Coolant Sensor Died