Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Handheld Tuners = Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Default Handheld Tuners = Junk?

Has anyone tried using handheld tuners such as "Diablo Predator" or "SCT Power Flash"??

They seem to be aimed more toward f body/ 2000s mustangs and stuff like that instead of LS7 crowd..

Would you say its just better to outright get a real tune instead of cheaping out on a "toy" like this or does it actually work well?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 AM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

It works in the sense that you will see gains, but every motor is different. So you will not see the gains or the reliability possible with a (properly done) custom tune.

They're marketed much more to the f-body/mustang crowd because they're a cheaper solution to the real deal.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

I wouldn't use the pre-installed "Factory" or "Defualt" tunes in these handhelds that come from the manufacturer. They are a little too generic IMHO. However these handhelds do work well as a acceptable transport/upload vehicle for taking a custom tune that's emailed to you and getting it moved from your PC and uploaded to the ECM in your car. Just be sure you know what type of software your "Tuner" uses so you know which handheld unit is supported.

U.M.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I would never use the generic tunes either. I had one on my cts-v....and intermittently and randomly it would drive like complete **** sometimes. I.e. Monday - thursday she was a champ, turn her on friday....limp mode, horrible sounding....

took the tune off, never had another issue.

However, most tuners use one of these handhelds to load, store and unload custom tunes.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Handhelds leave identifiable files behind in the PCM even if you reload the factory program. They WILL permanently change the CAN codes that GM so passionately checks if there's major warranty claims for drivetrain damage. HP Tuners, for one, leaves no trace once the factory program is re-loaded. It was my dealer that let me know this and advised accordingly...

Aside from that, I'd never run an "engine destroying" canned hand-held program in my Z06.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Rez90
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a preditor for my Cherokee. The loaded tunes were junk and made my truck lose power. it wasn't till i got a custom CMR tune that made it worth it.

I would never use a pre loaded or "Canned" tune in a corvette.

just my .02
Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Undy
Handhelds leave identifiable files behind in the PCM even if you reload the factory program. They WILL permanently change the CAN codes that GM so passionately checks if there's major warranty claims for drivetrain damage. HP Tuners, for one, leaves no trace once the factory program is re-loaded. It was my dealer that let me know this and advised accordingly...
I was told this is not true for the EFI Live Autocal unit that Chuck CoW sells... or is this Autocal not really a handheld tuner and more of just a transport device?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-sale-now.html

U.M.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default It's a very slick transport device....

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
I was told this is not true for the EFI Live Autocal unit that Chuck CoW sells... or is this Autocal not really a handheld tuner and more of just a transport device?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-sale-now.html

U.M.
It's a very slick transport device.... Takes a tune that every customer gets here in the shop and allows me to put it into your car remotely.

Hand-helds have a bad rap and this is no ordinary hand-held.

After it's loaded into your car, I can datalog the car with AutoCal and

adjust the tune to make it perfect.

Call me any time if you're interested.

Chuck CoW
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

...and there ya have it. For just a little more than the cost of a handheld tuner you can get an Autocal and custom tune from Chuck!

U.M.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:27 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

those are devices are great if you have multiple tunes from YOUR tuner.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Please clarify....

Originally Posted by EX1
those are devices are great if you have multiple tunes from YOUR tuner.
Please clarify....

Chuck CoW
Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 PM
r6elmo
Instructor

i have the diablosport trinity. I've just started to use it so I can't comment just yet. I like how it has the ability to hook up a wideband o2 sensor etc. The tunes that come in the handheld tuners are probably not worth it, but it's worth it to have a CMR tuner do it for you. They can take your logs, and from that adjust accordingly.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:24 PM
z06vettedreamer
Cruising

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Please clarify....

Chuck CoW
he means your handheld can carry more that one tune at a time. for example, say you are planning on spraying at the track you can just upload that tune when you get there, then before you leave you can put the other tune back in.

Hand held tuners are very helpful, not only for transporting tunes but also as a dataloger so you can make sure your car is running perfect and check all the parameters, otherwise without a true dyno tune, you dont know for sure the engine is running perfect
Old 12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
TomT
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know anything about the others, but Hypertech has worked great in my '02 for over 6 years now. And if I would have tried one on my Z06, which I would never do, it would have worked well also. Propably not the totally perfect tune, but a noticable difference in the right direction, for a reasonable price. Just my $.02.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 PM
1998ws6370
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Undy

Aside from that, I'd never run an "engine destroying" canned hand-held program in my Z06.
Your dealer did not inform you correctly, or he put all handhelds together and does not know details on how each one works.

The SCT X3 device flashes and returns to stock in the same format as HPtuners or EFI Live, once returned to stock the calibration section of the pcm is a 100% byte for byte binary match to the file that was read out and stored as stock.

If the OS section is flashed with the handheld that too is a 100% binary match to the data that is stored as stock file.

For those who are not familiar with the SCT X3, it will hold up to 3 custom tunes from your custom tuning dealer. You can receive tunes both in person or e-mail from ANY SCT custom tuning dealer unlike the EFI Live Auto Cal device that must come from the tuner who bought the unit. All X3 devices come with analog inputs for 2 0-5 volt devices such as widebands.

Ryan
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 PM
z06vettedreamer
Cruising

1998ws6370 is right, the tuner doesnt change the stock tune at all, stores it in the system and when returned to stock it puts back in the same exact tune. but it is traceable. the dealership can get a printout from your pcm and see how many time it has bee reset and connect the dots if youve put a tune on or not
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default The AutoCal is a fantastic tool....

The AutoCal is a fantastic tool....

It's internally, virtually identical to my personal EFI LIVE V2 tuning cable

with a smaller screen and fewer buttons....

The best part about AutoCal is that it can deliver EXACTLY the same tune I can create in person.

Other hand-helds are somewhat limited in that they can only load tunes created by their parent software....

It is recognized that the EFI LIVE is a leader in the LSx field and ANY tune created with it can by loaded by the AutoCal.

Anything custom I can do here in my shop can be done remotely with AutoCal.

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Handheld Tuners = Junk?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 PM
1998ws6370
Heel & Toe

So I can send your customer a tune to load on your autocal device built from my efive software? Or do you mean any tune you have in efi format you can send to your customer?

Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Any tune I choose....

Originally Posted by 1998ws6370
So I can send your customer a tune to load on your autocal device built from my efive software? Or do you mean any tune you have in efi format you can send to your customer?

Thanks

Ryan
Any tune I choose....

I have to save the file in the new .ctd format and it will work in the autocal that is linked to my V2 cable.

Chuck CoW
Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 PM
z06 vett
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What if?

What if you are no where near a tuner?
Remember Canada and Mexico ?
I just got the cmr kit and tunercats.I had Hpt pro and had a tuned with efilive.they are all tools to the same end.the predator multi tune thing is cool if you are custom tuned to the edge for when traveling.good gas is not always available.this Talk on finger printing the ecu is real. But not at the dealership .if the engineers look they will find.at this point you probable have a lawyer anyway so prove I did it.
I have some experience with a few tuners.to much
They all have a following ,it 's like when you get the first good bj , only good till the next best
I am am planing my next interstate tune trip.floria,ga ,la.?
Or maybe Birmingham .nothing here for turbo car

Mike
Sorry iPhone

Last edited by z06 vett; 12-21-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Handheld Tuners = Junk?