Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cam that can pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Cam that can pass smog

Is there a cam that can pass them smog test in a LS7 ? We get tested every two years and I would hate to have to pull the cam to get new tabs.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 03:55 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carnutsx2
Is there a cam that can pass them smog test in a LS7 ? We get tested every two years and I would hate to have to pull the cam to get new tabs.
Thanks
The stock one but seriously it would have to be a small one im sure one of the vendors will chime in.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We got the Lingenfelter GT17 cam to pass emissions as we have the same mandate here in Toronto. Every two years you go to get sniffed.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 PM
ranger1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can... its all up to your tuner....

Garry
Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by carnutsx2
Thanks
I went on the google machine and found this for you here - http://emissiontestwa.com/e/faq.aspx#14

1996 and newer gasoline vehicles under 8501 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)

These vehicles usually get an on-board diagnostic (OBD) test that obtains information from your vehicle's computer.
Therefore all cams will pass emissions where you are as long as it's tuned properly.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 PM
JOHN*99*
Advanced

Virginia law is the same as Washington State. It seems to indicate that if there are no codes and the OBD2 system pass's a function/readiness test the car will pass. No tail pipe sniffer/dyno is used if the car is 1996 or newer. Info from the Virginia Emissions test web site is attached. They are also supposed to visual check to see if the converter is present.

"The 1990 Clean Air Act (CAA) required a generic on-board diagnostic computer system to be standard on all vehicles sold in the United States beginning with the 1996 model year and all light duty (vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less) diesel fueled vehicles beginning with the 1997 model year. This requirement would replace computer systems on cars that varied from one vehicle manufacturer to another. The new computer system was named “On-Board Diagnostic, Generation II” or “OBDII.”

The CAA also required that vehicle emissions inspection programs around the country begin inspection of the OBDII system. For several years, DEQ has been preparing to implement an OBDII inspection procedure. Effective July 1, 2005, the new OBDII inspection procedure became the official inspection process for most 1996 and newer motor vehicles.

The OBDII inspection provides a more comprehensive picture of vehicle emissions than the traditional tailpipe emissions test. This is because the OBDII system tests the vehicle while it is actually being operated under a variety of day to day driving conditions, whereas the traditional tailpipe test measures emissions only at a particular moment in time. The emissions inspection procedure for most 1996 and newer OBDII equipped vehicles is as follows:

* The inspector will perform a free preliminary inspection of your vehicle. If problems are found, the vehicle will be rejected from testing until they are corrected.

Note: The preliminary inspection does include an examination for tire condition on all gasoline powered vehicles. This is because some vehicles will be required to have a tailpipe emissions test performed in addition to the OBDII test. Diesel powered vehicles will not be rejected from testing due to tire condition or a missing fuel cap. Diesel vehicles with a manufacturer’s designated gross vehicle weight rating of 8,501 pounds or more may receive a Rejection from Testing Form from the inspection station with instructions to contact the Department of Environmental Quality.

* If the vehicle is safe to test, the inspector will enter the vehicle information into the emissions analyzer system.
* The inspector will determine whether or not the malfunction indicator lamp is operable, and enter this information into the analyzer.
* The inspector will then attach a data link cable to the vehicle's onboard computer diagnostic link connector. The emissions analyzer will then evaluate the status of the OBDII system’s monitors to check whether or not the vehicle is ready for an OBDII inspection.

OBDII monitors are a very important aspect of the inspection process. Monitors are programs in the vehicle's on-board computer that run checks on components and systems of the vehicle for conditions that could cause excessive emissions. To learn more about OBDII monitors, click here.

If more than two of the monitored systems are found to be "not ready" for 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles, or more than one monitored system is found to be "not ready" for 2001 and later model year vehicles, the vehicle is rejected from testing at no charge and the vehicle must be operated until the monitors have had a chance to run and the system is ready to test.

Note: If the vehicle failed the OBDII inspection for a catalytic converter related diagnostic trouble code, then the catalytic converter monitor must have run and be in a ready state in order for the reinspection to be performed.

* Once the vehicle has enough of its monitors and is determined to be "ready," the emissions inspection will proceed. If no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are found, the vehicle will pass this part of the OBDII inspection process. If DTCs are found, the analyzer will download up to five of these DTCs that are stored in the vehicle's onboard computer. These DTCs will be printed on the Vehicle Emissions Inspection Report along with a brief, generic explanation of the code if available.

Note: The analyzer will only download and record up to five diagnostic trouble codes. Further diagnostic work by a qualified technician should be performed in order to obtain any additional diagnostic trouble codes (generic or manufacturer specific) that might be stored in the vehicle’s OBDII computer.

* For gasoline powered vehicles, the OBDII inspection will also include a visual inspection for the presence of the catalytic converter, a pressure test for the gas cap, and a visible smoke inspection. Diesel powered vehicles will only get the OBDII inspection.
* The fee will remain the same for the emissions inspection regardless of which procedure (OBDII or tailpipe emissions test) is performed on the vehicle"
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger1
Yes, you can... its all up to your tuner....

Garry
correct, my Z is stock, but my viper is far from stock, I have a couple tunes, from my tuner, it passes with flying colors, this is a car that can kill you with the fumes, on its regular tune, I run.
Just get a good tuner and you wont have a problem.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Swiftwater Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
correct, my Z is stock, but my viper is far from stock, I have a couple tunes, from my tuner, it passes with flying colors, this is a car that can kill you with the fumes, on its regular tune, I run.
Just get a good tuner and you wont have a problem.

The Katech 110 works for me. Pretty aggressive cam well-tuned by Corey Henderson at Henderson Performance in New Braunfels TX. No problem with emissions testing in Austin.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 PM
r6elmo
Instructor

i'm running the katech torquer 116. I settled on this cam b/c it's one of the few on the market for the LS7 with 0 overlap. overlap is really what's going to kill you in emissions testing. I've been happy with it thus far. i thought about going for the 110 or another cam, but I didn't want to risk it for a bit more HP.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by r6elmo
i'm running the katech torquer 116. I settled on this cam b/c it's one of the few on the market for the LS7 with 0 overlap. overlap is really what's going to kill you in emissions testing. I've been happy with it thus far. i thought about going for the 110 or another cam, but I didn't want to risk it for a bit more HP.
There's a cam in my future (waiting on warranty to expire). r6elmo, How much rwhp did you put out?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Chow
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Zed_six
There's a cam in my future (waiting on warranty to expire). r6elmo, How much rwhp did you put out?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Chow
Chris, I have a Torquer 110 going in our Katech motor being built so I will let you know when it's done. We are also running WCCH ported heads and a FAST 102 though.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 AM
one bad Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Chris, I have a Torquer 110 going in our Katech motor being built so I will let you know when it's done. We are also running WCCH ported heads and a FAST 102 though.
so did that ever pass smog?

Get notified of new replies

To Cam that can pass smog

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam that can pass smog