Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2011 Z06 Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Default 2011 Z06 Manual Transmission

The 2011 Z06 transmission has carbon fiber syncros. Did GM put the same transmission in the 2011 Grand Sport ? Does anybody know ?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The 2011 Z06 transmission has carbon fiber syncros. Did GM put the same transmission in the 2011 Grand Sport ? Does anybody know ?
Not sure if it's the same, but all TR6060's in the Corvette line for 2011 got the CF Syncros.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:40 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
Not sure if it's the same, but all TR6060's in the Corvette line for 2011 got the CF Syncros.
Whats the advantage or disadvantage ?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:41 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

See your thread in the "general" section. Posted it there.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I have heard there are problems with the carbon fiber syncros. They work well at first getting rid of the nibbles and grinds when cold, but there is a know problem of "ion exchange" that can occur between carbon fiber and aluminum from the other aluminum parts in the transmission. This will weaken the carbon fiber over time. This is exacerbated with the hot and cold cycles of the transmission and the carbon fiber syncros will become brittle over time and you will end up with very serious nibbles and grinds all the time. I would go with the 09 or 10's.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont know why i feel this way, but knowing mine is notchy when cold then fine when warm i cant help but think a different oil might be the solution. clearly it cannot be the syncros per se because they work just fine when warmed up. in fact i would go on to say they work even better when hot.
this tells me it has to do with oil viscosity. and i dont know a lot about what the chemical make up of this type of oil is but i know it is either the same as automatic trans oil or very close to it.
perhaps a synthetic or somthing with different temp range?
i know someone here has reported better shifting with a different oil. but i cannot locate that thread.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
I have heard there are problems with the carbon fiber syncros. They work well at first getting rid of the nibbles and grinds when cold, but there is a know problem of "ion exchange" that can occur between carbon fiber and aluminum from the other aluminum parts in the transmission. This will weaken the carbon fiber over time. This is exacerbated with the hot and cold cycles of the transmission and the carbon fiber syncros will become brittle over time and you will end up with very serious nibbles and grinds all the time. I would go with the 09 or 10's.
Where did you hear this? Do you have data?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
i dont know why i feel this way, but knowing mine is notchy when cold then fine when warm i cant help but think a different oil might be the solution. clearly it cannot be the syncros per se because they work just fine when warmed up. in fact i would go on to say they work even better when hot.
this tells me it has to do with oil viscosity. and i dont know a lot about what the chemical make up of this type of oil is but i know it is either the same as automatic trans oil or very close to it.
i know someone here has reported better shifting with a different oil. but i cannot locate that thread.
Makes total sense
Old 12-22-2010, 10:45 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
I had better shifting when going to the Amsoil ATF which is/was a DEX III fluid. If I were to change again, I would try Amsoil's ATD which they call their Torque Drive fluid.

I did notice much better cold performance with the Amsoil but I do still get a touch of nibble when I first start out but it is usually gone within a couple of minutes.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:25 PM
MYREDZO6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

It's probably listed somewhere here on the forum, but what causes the nibbles? I thought it was me just getting used to the clutch, but apparently it's not. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MYREDZO6
It's probably listed somewhere here on the forum, but what causes the nibbles? I thought it was me just getting used to the clutch, but apparently it's not. Thanks.
The fluid is thick (cold), the syncro's were designed to work with thin (hot) fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Z06 Manual Transmission

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2011 Z06 Manual Transmission