Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] skip shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
qboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default skip shift

Do many people drive their cars without disabling it? Since I live in California with the super strict smog laws, will disabling it cause trouble with the OBDII codes?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by qboy
Do many people drive their cars without disabling it? Since I live in California with the super strict smog laws, will disabling it cause trouble with the OBDII codes?
If you use the CAGS eliminator that connects to the transmission wiring, you won't get any codes. $20 well spent. Install it and forget it. You can then shift when, and to what gear, you want to, not when the computer thinks you should. Take control of your life.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It isn't that hard to drive around. Skip shift only activates between 14 and 20 mph if you are driving behind a slowly accelerating car. If you shift to second before 14 mph or after 20 mph you will never know skip shift existed. If you are aggressive on the throttle and accelerate at a normal rate skip shift will not activate even between the two magic numbers. I only have it activate on me if I am driving behind a slow driver in a low performance car and I forget and shift at the wrong time. Since I am not often in that position I have never spent the money to do anything about defeating it even though I have had cars with CAGS since 97. Even if I drove in heavier traffic where I would be in that position more often I think I would quickly get used to shifting sooner in that situation. Any Corvette can easily run in second gear at 13 mph. The minimum cost to defeat this feature on a C6 is a few minutes of time and a couple of dollars for the fuse mod and it just isn't worth the time or the money to do it. I would spend the time washing my shoe laces before I would do this mod.

Bill
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This Z is the 2nd one that I've installed the skip shift on. I got tired of it activating during slow turns in traffic.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by JJC5
This Z is the 2nd one that I've installed the skip shift on. I got tired of it activating during slow turns in traffic.
Again you could have just shifted sooner or later and avoided it.

Bill
Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

I had mine eliminated in a tune. I would rather not have to work around it.

Larry

Last edited by lebvette; 01-09-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Second Z Ihave owned never worried about CAGS. Drive it thats what its meant to do,
Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The skip shift eliminator was waiting in my toolbox before my ZO6 was delivered. I installed it the same day I took delivery of my car.

After about 6 months the "check engine light" came on. I went to the local dealer to have it checked out. The skip shift eliminator resistor had failed and the check engine light came on.

Since the skip shift eliminator was an aftermarket component that caused the problem the dealership took it out, reset the code and charged me an hour labor for the diagnosis and the fix.

I've never replaced the skip shift eliminator. I, like several other posters, have just learned to drive around it. It is very rare that skip shift kicks in. It still pisses me off when it does, though.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:02 AM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

First item I installed on the car. It does not throw any codes.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I rarely hit the 1-4 problem but when I did, it really got on my nerves. I used the "blown fuse" method and am pleased with the results. Not bad for $2 and a few minutes.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale1990
I rarely hit the 1-4 problem but when I did, it really got on my nerves. I used the "blown fuse" method and am pleased with the results. Not bad for $2 and a few minutes.
Can you explain the "Blown Fuse" method please?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM
K.Shupe
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Magneson
Can you explain the "Blown Fuse" method please?
Here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about disabling CAGS. Your choice, $20 or $2. http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html

Last edited by K.Shupe; 01-09-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by LEJ ZO6
The skip shift eliminator was waiting in my toolbox before my ZO6 was delivered. I installed it the same day I took delivery of my car.

After about 6 months the "check engine light" came on. I went to the local dealer to have it checked out. The skip shift eliminator resistor had failed and the check engine light came on.

Since the skip shift eliminator was an aftermarket component that caused the problem the dealership took it out, reset the code and charged me an hour labor for the diagnosis and the fix.

I've never replaced the skip shift eliminator. I, like several other posters, have just learned to drive around it. It is very rare that skip shift kicks in. It still pisses me off when it does, though.
This is exactly why I use the blown fuse method. I think the dealer would have a hard time justifying a blown fuse as aftermarket and charging me for the problem. All I have to do is replace the fuse and voila, no problems.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It isn't that hard to drive around. Skip shift only activates between 14 and 20 mph if you are driving behind a slowly accelerating car. If you shift to second before 14 mph or after 20 mph you will never know skip shift existed. If you are aggressive on the throttle and accelerate at a normal rate skip shift will not activate even between the two magic numbers. I only have it activate on me if I am driving behind a slow driver in a low performance car and I forget and shift at the wrong time. Since I am not often in that position I have never spent the money to do anything about defeating it even though I have had cars with CAGS since 97. Even if I drove in heavier traffic where I would be in that position more often I think I would quickly get used to shifting sooner in that situation. Any Corvette can easily run in second gear at 13 mph. The minimum cost to defeat this feature on a C6 is a few minutes of time and a couple of dollars for the fuse mod and it just isn't worth the time or the money to do it. I would spend the time washing my shoe laces before I would do this mod.

Bill
Well said Bill,I see no need to install the skip shift eliminator.Its to easy to drive around it.And then sometimes I use it if I don't want to
go through the gears.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Again you could have just shifted sooner or later and avoided it.

Bill
I could also drive around town in 1st gear 100% of the time and never worry about shifting at all, until I got on the Interstate highway driving above 60 MPH. But I prefer to drive the car the way I've been driving standard shift transmissions since I learned to drive my Mom's 1952 Chevy back in 1955 when I was 13 years old. I've had my drivers license since I was 14 years old, and never had to worry about driving "around" the shift points that a computer says I should shift into 4th. $20 spent for a CAGs eliminator and I get to drive the way I've been driving for the past 55 years.

Shifting becomes second nature and you become used to shifting without thinking about speed, RPM, etc. With the CAGS, you have to input some thought into the shifting to either shift earlier, or to shift later, then what feels natural, because of the Nanny called a computer. When an outside force starts to influence your actions, it's not second nature.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I could also drive around town in 1st gear 100% of the time and never worry about shifting at all, until I got on the Interstate highway driving above 60 MPH. But I prefer to drive the car the way I've been driving standard shift transmissions since I learned to drive my Mom's 1952 Chevy back in 1955 when I was 13 years old. I've had my drivers license since I was 14 years old, and never had to worry about driving "around" the shift points that a computer says I should shift into 4th. $20 spent for a CAGs eliminator and I get to drive the way I've been driving for the past 55 years.

Shifting becomes second nature and you become used to shifting without thinking about speed, RPM, etc. With the CAGS, you have to input some thought into the shifting to either shift earlier, or to shift later, then what feels natural, because of the Nanny called a computer. When an outside force starts to influence your actions, it's not second nature.
100% Spend $2 for the blown fuse solution and you never have to worry about 'driving around it'. A no-brainer IMO.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Bill
First time EVER I have the opportunity to disagree with Mr. Bill Dearborn. It is a simple mod that takes any math, guesswork or surprise out of the "why the heck is my car not going into second gear dammit?" feeling you get with the skip shift crapola.

Please resume your normal activities!

Get notified of new replies

To skip shift

Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
This is exactly why I use the blown fuse method. I think the dealer would have a hard time justifying a blown fuse as aftermarket and charging me for the problem. All I have to do is replace the fuse and voila, no problems.
Unless they can't figure out the exact problem and end up replacing the entire fuse box.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Snake.Oiler
Unless they can't figure out the exact problem and end up replacing the entire fuse box.
In which case it would be a warranty item anyway, no cost to me since it wasn't "tuned" out and no aftermarket add on to the car.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Shupe
Here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about disabling CAGS. Your choice, $20 or $2. http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html
Yea, the 2$ fuse option is for me, Thanks K.Shupe for the info. Im headed to pep boys tomorrow! (whispers, cause the vette is asleep for the winter!)

Quick Reply: [Z06] skip shift