Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Safety first!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:05 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Safety first!

Installed a fire extinguisher in the ZO6 today. Halon extinguisher, Brey-Krause mount. Fits great and looks good in there too. Hope I never have to use it, but it is required @ some events and I guess it's good to have just in case.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you practiced dismounting it?

Many people get these installed and have no idea how to unhook and pull the pin.

You're best bet is still to get out of the car as fast as you can.

I'd much rather see these type of mods FIRST, before performance.

Enjoy!

Mike
Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

^^^Thanks Mike. Yeah, I did, actually. It unlatches pretty easily...then I can just yank it out of the 'neck' mount area. Comes out nice.

I've been meaning to install one for a while but never did. I guess I'm like most people, you really don't think of this stuff 1st before the 'go fast' goodies.

See ya!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:12 PM
427PWRD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good Scott! Where did you get it from?

BTW - clean interior
Old 01-15-2011, 04:46 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

^^^Thanks amigo! I got the bracket from forum member 'batman' on here. He was selling some of his stuff. The extinguisher came from an internet car safety place...
Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I run that same set-up..

IN FRONT OF THE DRIVERS SEAT!

During the off season its stock seats/belts.

But duirng race season with Sparco seats..One twist of the cam-lock on my stroud 5 pts and I can reach that baby in seconds!

I've even considered a plumbed system after losing my Russel fuel line adaptor upon cold start-up once.

can you say..1) hold your breath...2) pull the pin......
Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I have the BK mount in front of the passenger seat as I kept kicking it when it was in front of the driver seat. Had the extinguisher come loose once heading into a turn. Luckily, my foot was already on the brake so it didn't block the pedal but I had to limp into the pits and get it out of the car. Now I only use it in NCCC events where it is required. It is impossible for me to reach the thing from the driver's side whether I am using a stock seat or a racing seat. Unless you have a built in system the best thing to do is get out of the car and let somebody else handle the fire.

Bill
Old 01-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
I run that same set-up..

IN FRONT OF THE DRIVERS SEAT!

During the off season its stock seats/belts.

But duirng race season with Sparco seats..One twist of the cam-lock on my stroud 5 pts and I can reach that baby in seconds!

I've even considered a plumbed system after losing my Russel fuel line adaptor upon cold start-up once.

can you say..1) hold your breath...2) pull the pin......
A driving suit and underwear give you about 6-7 seconds in a fire. If you want to put a small fire out it may work. If you have a big impact and rupture the fuel tank what you need to do is get out!

I practiced getting in and out of race cars all my life. In the 70's I was qualifying a Formula Atlantic car at Mid America in Wentzville, Mo. There was a bit of moisture and coming out of turn ten the tires slipped a bit in some moisture running slightly across the track. Since I was trying for the pole I kept my foot in it. The car kept wiggling and I finally lost it sliding up hill and hilling a big tree with the side of the car (lucky for me it was a BIG tree). My head hit the tree (bark on the side of the helmet) and it ruptured the fuel cell and fuel came pouring into my lap. I looked up across the track and saw the corner workers were looking else where. I thought, "Why don't those guys come over here and get me out, the car could catch on fire?" After what seemed like about 10 years they saw me and came running. What did they do to get me out? The plulled the seat belt latch and I steped out!

You may think you will react one way but when the time comes and seconds matter you may not. The car I was driving, which was brand new,was destroyed.

I think the only fire system in a car that will help in any way is a full fire supression system with outlets in the front and rear with the pin pulled ready for activation.

I have been burnt in race cars and believe me guys you don't want it

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Safety first!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Safety first!