Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] HELP-RANGER! Clutch Reservoir DRY 2007 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:48 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default HELP-RANGER! Clutch Reservoir DRY 2007 Z06

Today I went over to the next town to check out a 2007 Z06 for another forum member in Florida. I found the clutch fluid reservoir dry!!! I could tell the previous owner had no idea or had read Ranger's post on caring for clutch fluid.

The problem here there was NO fluid!!....I hope Ranger see's this....any ideas what is the cause here???? Tim
Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 PM
brahmabull1126
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG...thats ridiculous..I would freak out If i ever saw that...I,ve been pretty OCD about my clutch fluid, ever since I saw Rangers post about changing that stuff out..
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Me too.....As soon as I opened the hood that's first place I went to and I was amazed NO fluid and the pedal seems soft and engages in top 1/3 of travel. Yep I'm OCD about it

I was checking this car for forum member down in Florida who found it on ebay....otherwise, it's a well kept Z....
Old 01-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Romulus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you only looking for help from Ranger? Couldn't you just have PM'd him?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Empty Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir

Originally Posted by tim414
Today I went over to the next town to check out a 2007 Z06 for another forum member in Florida.

I found the clutch fluid reservoir dry!!! I could tell the previous owner had no idea or had read Ranger's post on caring for clutch fluid.

The problem here there was NO fluid!!....I hope Ranger see's this....any ideas what is the cause here???? Tim
Me too.....As soon as I opened the hood that's first place I went to and I was amazed NO fluid and the pedal seems soft and engages in top 1/3 of travel. Yep I'm OCD about it

I was checking this car for forum member down in Florida who found it on ebay....otherwise, it's a well kept Z....
Upon inspection, an otherwise seemingly well-maintained Corvette that's a purchase candidate is found to have
(1) no fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir
(2) a clutch engagement point in the upper-third of pedal travel

Why is the reservoir empty? Three possibilities:
(1) There is a leak.
(2) The fluid was removed from the reservoir and not replaced.
(3) The missing one ounce of fluid was consumed in normal operation.

So which is it in this case?

As a buyer, you are always trying to size up the credibility of the seller. You test his account and maintenance records by inspection and pulling the GM maintenance history on the VIN of the car. Has the owner previously reported any clutch issue to the dealer?

That's the overall setting.

(1) Leak is unusual and not alway easy to detect or pinpoint. One ounce of fluid isn't much to leave tell-tale drip marks, particularly inside the bell housing where there's often an abundance of clutch dust to sop up drips. It's another matter if the owner were in fact frequently replenishing the fluid (keep reading). In any case, getting under the car to inspect for leaks would be an important step. But an absence of leak indicators is not conclusive.

A leak in the clutch hydraulics of this one is unlikely but not unprecedented. If there is a leak at the actuator, the fix is expensive (like $1K just to replace the actuator). A leak at the master cylinder to actuator connector is also unlikely but possible. Fix is ~$400.

(2) Fluid was removed but not replaced. If the reservoir is clean as a whistle but empty, my suspicion would be someone forgot to refill it after evacuation. Could be the owner, his "helpful friend," a previous owner, or a service tech.

(3) Fluid was consumed. Some fluid is consumed in normal operation. That occurs because the fluid serves as a lubricant on which the O-ring seal on the actuator (slave) main shaft articulates with pedal movement. Squeegee action by the O-ring on that shaft is the mechanism by which clutch dust enters the fluid. In the process some fluid is consumed (escapes). Any seal in motion will be imperfect.

So if this clutch reservoir were never topped off in the car's entire service life, then its original one-ounce fill may have been consumed. The tell-tale of that is dirty residue around the lower side and bottom of the reservoir.

Were I advising the owner of the car, I'd recommend putting about 24 ounces (2 cans) of fresh fluid through the reservoir in one-ounce increments and doing the 20 full-top to full-bottom to full-top-foot-off-the-pedal each change. This protocol will clean out the hydraulics and disgorge trapped air that's the likely cause of the high engagement point. This would be the fix for root-cause (2) and (3).

Advice to a buyer?

There are a lot of Corvettes for sale out there. Question is how much time do you spent trying to rule out a hydraulic leak on this one. Or do you buy with a clear-eyed view of the possible but unlikely repair cost. You'll need to weigh that.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 01-16-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Great observations and advise as always Ranger!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

NO....I do NOT believe it was in process of being changed. First, when I opened reservoir there was a few drops of BLACK fluid. The inside of cap was nasty with clutch dust. It definitely was NOT kept up. I suspect previous owner had NO clue. He was in his sixties and died suddenly. His widow traded this Z06 and his truck at the local Chevy dealer there and bought a new Tahoe. According to dealer she had been driving it for approx 6 months.....this Vette is on Ebay as well.

The clutch seems soft in comparission to mine and engaged fully at THE TOP of travel where mine begins to engage at the center third of travel. I got on my hands/knees/elbows to looks for obvious leaks underneath and found none.

The VIN is also on ebay. The forum member who is considering and (what I understand wants to pull trigger and buy it now) if dealer will take care of this. Otherwise this looks to be a 2007 Z06 that was garage kept and driven approx 5-6k/year which for this area of country is not much.....slalomdude down in Florida is considering it and I told him I placed this post....Tim
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Romulus
Are you only looking for help from Ranger? Couldn't you just have PM'd him?
I suppose I could have pm'd him but also wanted others who have a '07 to chime in if they had this occur....in comparison to my Z06 something is not right here. Sorry it bothered you.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

NO....I do NOT believe it was in process of being changed. First, when I opened reservoir there was a few drops of BLACK fluid. The inside of cap was nasty with clutch dust. It definitely was NOT kept up. I suspect previous owner had NO clue. He was in his sixties and died suddenly. His widow traded this Z06 and his truck at the local Chevy dealer there and bought a new Tahoe. According to dealer she had been driving it for approx 6 months.....this Vette is on Ebay as well.

The clutch seems soft in comparission to mine and engaged fully at THE TOP of travel where mine begins to engage at the center third of travel. I got on my hands/knees/elbows to looks for obvious leaks underneath and found none.

The VIN is also on ebay. The forum member who is considering and (what I understand wants to pull trigger and buy it now) if dealer will take care of this. Otherwise this looks to be a 2007 Z06 that was garage kept and driven approx 5-6k/year which for this area of country is not much.....slalomdude down in Florida is considering it and I told him I placed this post....Tim
I bought my Z sight unseen from Arizonia. I had a forum member
check it out. They said it was good. The car came with almost dry
with 1/4 inch of black goup in the clutch reservior.
I did my fluid changes but it was weaked and slipped with my S/c'd 7 liter. I replaced it with the ZR1.
clutch.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

The VIN is also on ebay. The forum member who is considering and (what I understand wants to pull trigger and buy it now) if dealer will take care of this. .Tim
I don't think you need a dealer to run a can of brake fluid through the system. If the price is right, just buy the thing. It sounds like it should be ok. There is a reason a used Z is 30000-40000 less than a showroom new one. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 383vett
I don't think you need a dealer to run a can of brake fluid through the system. If the price is right, just buy the thing. It sounds like it should be ok. There is a reason a used Z is 30000-40000 less than a showroom new one. Good luck.
Thanks for everyone's input including Ranger. I am now defering this to the potential buyer since I was only doing this guy a favor. Tim
Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM
slalomdude
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input including Ranger. I am now defering this to the potential buyer since I was only doing this guy a favor. Tim
Thanks for all your help on this. Still waiting on a callback from the dealer after I asked them to investigate more.
Thanks
Sean
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

If this car is an 07 with average miles then it is probably still on WARRANTY. A quick check of the vin with any GM dealer maybe......?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Upon inspection, an otherwise seemingly well-maintained Corvette that's a purchase candidate is found to have
(1) no fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir
(2) a clutch engagement point in the upper-third of pedal travel

Why is the reservoir empty? Three possibilities:
(1) There is a leak.
(2) The fluid was removed from the reservoir and not replaced.
(3) The missing one ounce of fluid was consumed in normal operation.

So which is it in this case?

As a buyer, you are always trying to size up the credibility of the seller. You test his account and maintenance records by inspection and pulling the GM maintenance history on the VIN of the car. Has the owner previously reported any clutch issue to the dealer?

That's the overall setting.

(1) Leak is unusual and not alway easy to detect or pinpoint. One ounce of fluid isn't much to leave tell-tale drip marks, particularly inside the bell housing where there's often an abundance of clutch dust to sop up drips. It's another matter if the owner were in fact frequently replenishing the fluid (keep reading). In any case, getting under the car to inspect for leaks would be an important step. But an absence of leak indicators is not conclusive.

A leak in the clutch hydraulics of this one is unlikely but not unprecedented. If there is a leak at the actuator, the fix is expensive (like $1K just to replace the actuator). A leak at the master cylinder to actuator connector is also unlikely but possible. Fix is ~$400.

(2) Fluid was removed but not replaced. If the reservoir is clean as a whistle but empty, my suspicion would be someone forgot to refill it after evacuation. Could be the owner, his "helpful friend," a previous owner, or a service tech.

(3) Fluid was consumed. Some fluid is consumed in normal operation. That occurs because the fluid serves as a lubricant on which the O-ring seal on the actuator (slave) main shaft articulates with pedal movement. Squeegee action by the O-ring on that shaft is the mechanism by which clutch dust enters the fluid. In the process some fluid is consumed (escapes). Any seal in motion will be imperfect.

So if this clutch reservoir were never topped off in the car's entire service life, then its original one-ounce fill may have been consumed. The tell-tale of that is dirty residue around the lower side and bottom of the reservoir.

Were I advising the owner of the car, I'd recommend putting about 24 ounces (2 cans) of fresh fluid through the reservoir in one-ounce increments and doing the 20 full-top to full-bottom to full-top-foot-off-the-pedal each change. This protocol will clean out the hydraulics and disgorge trapped air that's the likely cause of the high engagement point. This would be the fix for root-cause (2) and (3).

Advice to a buyer?

There are a lot of Corvettes for sale out there. Question is how much time do you spent trying to rule out a hydraulic leak on this one. Or do you buy with a clear-eyed view of the possible but unlikely repair cost. You'll need to weigh that.

Ranger

.....................I want to live next to you.......................
Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
.....................I want to live next to you.......................
RANGER is STILL the man on this forum.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM
setxws6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an 06 Z a month ago from Cali, and drove it back to TX without noticing any problems with the clutch or engagement. But when I got home I checked the level and like the OP's was, mine was low or looked empty. I filled it and did the Ranger flush 2 or 3 times since then and haven't noticed any leaks or level drop.

My guess is that it being in a dry area enviroment like California, the seal needed extra fluid flush, and that maybe why the fluid was low, it was being sucked up by the drier air over a number of years. But I haven't had any issues since and continue the Ranger fluid flush. Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by slalomdude
Thanks for all your help on this. Still waiting on a callback from the dealer after I asked them to investigate more.
Thanks
Sean
If it's on Ebay and they can sell it to someone without inspection I assume it's highly likely they will do so....good luck, tim
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If a little old lady was driving it for the last 6 months, I would bet the clutch is OK once you add a little fluid and do the fluid swap procedure. If the price is right, it would not rule out this car for purchase. Even people that maintain their cars perfectly do not know about the clutch fluid. I get customers in here all the time that have changed their oil every 3k-4k miles since new and never touched the fluid in the clutch until I say something.

Remember, only a small amount of Corvette owners are on this forum so most C6 owners do not read about the dirty fluid issues like we see every other day on here.

RICH

Get notified of new replies

To HELP-RANGER! Clutch Reservoir DRY 2007 Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] HELP-RANGER! Clutch Reservoir DRY 2007 Z06