Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vintage Drag Footage From Cecil County Dragway

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vintage Drag Footage From Cecil County Dragway

In '63 my dad had a split window fuelie that he dragged bone stock on 10" slicks ... his record ET was 13.61. Drag racing was sure different back then!

This is a very cool article and video!

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Great-...ng-it-Out.html

What is the powdery looking stuff they're spreading on the track and launching on??
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Very COOL Driftking. Thats crazy to watch that video and see the huge crowds of people there and what Cecil County Dragway looked like back then. It actually doesnt look greatly different now IMO. Thats one of my favorite tracks and I consider it my home track being 1.5hours from me. Great place, nicely set up and when they choose to do good track prep look out cause the ET's are 2nd to none!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I think I may have been at one of those funny car meets that were shown. I went to a couple of them at Cecil when I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in May/June of 66. Also hit a couple at York. That was the big thing back then. Funny car meets with lots of funny cars at each one. I noticed Malcom Durham, Dick Landy, Sox & Martin, Grumpy and I think Gas Ronda in that video as well.

The stuff on the track was rosin. They usually spread it out so the guys could do their burn out through it a couple of times. At one 40+ Funny Car meet at York my brother in law and I wandered out on the track and helped brush the rosin back into the tracks as they were doing their burnouts. That was the night Sox & Martin ran against Huston Platt in the final and beat him by a nose. The S&M car lifted its nose off the ground at launch and Ronnie carried it all the whole distance with the front dropping just as they got to the lights. Parts and sparks went all over the place when it hit the ground with the front ahead of Huston's Nova. If it had stayed in the air the Nova would have won. That was at 1 AM and they hadn't gotten around to regular class eliminations yet. A long night.

Not sure why they stopped using rosin and went to water. If I remember correctly they used bleach for a while as well.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-24-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Thats crazy to watch that video and see the huge crowds of people there and what Cecil County Dragway looked like back then.
Yea, I thought the huge crowds in the vid were interesting too! Whenever I go to the strips around here the stands definitely don't have that many spectators in them.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The stuff on the track was rosin. They usually spread it out so the guys could do their burn out through it a couple of times. At one 40+ Funny Car meet at York my brother in law and I wandered out on the track and helped brush the rosin back into the tracks as they were doing their burnouts.

Not sure why they stopped using it and went to water. If I remember correctly they used bleach for a while.

Bill
Interesting, thanks for answering! I bet one reason for going to water was probably cost. Bleach would sure make for some smokey burnouts!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM
lonewolf455
Instructor

thanks that was great going out to fireup my 1957 chevy !
Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Great footage. Big names too (Grumpy Jenkins, Sox&Martin)

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Drag Footage From Cecil County Dragway

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vintage Drag Footage From Cecil County Dragway