Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] cracks in headlight lens

Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM
dcrocker316
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cracks in headlight lens

I installed a new carbon fiber splitter on my 08 Z06 last month and then went to Florida last week.( About 650 miles). Sunday (6th) I was washing the car and noticed that the left headlight lens has about 8 small cracks in it. Anyone else experienced this problem? Not sure if the larger splitter is putting enough down force to cause the front nose to flex that much. Dave
Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by dcrocker316
I installed a new carbon fiber splitter on my 08 Z06 last month and then went to Florida last week.( About 650 miles). Sunday (6th) I was washing the car and noticed that the left headlight lens has about 8 small cracks in it. Anyone else experienced this problem?
Only thing I'd ever heard could cause cracking other than an impact was 'checking' caused when people tried putting dark film over the lense. Checking is made-up of fine small fractures, IIRC.

Originally Posted by dcrocker316
Not sure if the larger splitter is putting enough down force to cause the front nose to flex that much.
There're an awful lot of people with larger than stock splitters, your experience would be a first if it is responsible.

Hopefully you can get a reasonably priced replacement through Gene or one of the other forum's vendors. I'll BTTT your question.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

The spoiler is attached to the fascia and the fascia is not attached to the headlights.

Bill
Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 AM
Old Timer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight lens cracks

Dave,

Scattered around the perimeter of the headlight lens (roughly 1/2 inch inboard) there are very slight molding lines/focus points that can be mistaken for lens cracks. Is it possible that this is what you are seeing and interpreting as lens cracks? An easy way to check is to see if these "cracks" are mirrored images on the left and right headlight lenses. (Or use a magnifying glass)

Barry
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Insomuch as it may serve the OP, be advised it’s been noted by some accounts that lens "crazing" is not due to the application of the [protection] film but rather a chemical reaction to certain alcohol based cleaners used in the preparatory stages of application.

It’s also been accounted that numerous Corvettes, et al., have been observed on lots with crazed headlights without evidence of the film.

GM has contended the issue due to the film causing heat build-up and therefore the effect – crazing. However this argument seems without merit [IF] given to accounts/observations by some that claim "new" vehicles on lots bearing the condition as well.

PS: Posting a picture would help diagnose the situation by those further attending this tread. Also a matter of fact for discount as cause, per Bill Dearborn’s (Post 3), there’s no association of the two by connection/attachment.

Last edited by QwikC; 03-09-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 AM
dcrocker316
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can feel the cracks with my finger nail. The right side lens does not have any cracks. I am going to take my Z06 in for an oil leak check that the dealer saw and did something to fix next week and will ask them to replace under warrenty. Wish me luck!!!

Get notified of new replies

To cracks in headlight lens

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] cracks in headlight lens