Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Temperature Sensor Kaput

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:59 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Temperature Sensor Kaput

Ok guys a little help. I'm sorry I have not searched this but I'm crunched for time with the end of the semester, work functions and family arriving soon...And now...

So the DIC indicates and overheating status and tells me the AC is shut off. And the Fans are on.

The CEL is on.

The Temperature guage is at 0 (100deg), however it does sweep when the car is turned on.

The DIC digital temp gauge gives a measurement of XXXF.

The oil temp is 130-140 deg (Dewitts) and the Oil pressure at low RPM cruise is 50-55.

There are no signs of overheating, no hissing, no fluid loss, the overflow volume is right where it should be. The Engine sounds normal.

I'm thinking that the temperature sensor went Kaput, probably brought about by the recent head swap and then cold temps (24-35deg.)

Do you all agree with this diagnosis?

Is there any reason why I can't drive the car back home under these conditions?

How hard is this to fix DIY, and is there anything that I need to know?

Thanks everyone...sorry I have to hit the easy button on this one and ask in a thread usually I figure a lot out just by reading...today just aint that day!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Temp sensor is on the left side of drivers side head, right behind the alternator. Check to see if the electrical connector has come off (might not have been seated correctly after head swap).

I don't see a problem driving home.

If the connection is good, replace temp sensor.
Drain some coolant before you remove old sensor.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:49 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

^^^ I'll Check it out... I popped the cover off and stood there dumbfounded a minute bc I had no clue where even to look!

I assume If I don't drain fluid off it will come pouring out the port and make a mess on the garage floor.

I'm Sure the Dewitts has a drain port.

Thanks for the intel.

In the medical field we say treat the patient not the monitor. Same thing here patient was alive (Car), monitor (the sensor) was dead!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:18 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is your car stock?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Canuck
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My temperature sensor quits frequently. All I do is wiggle the wiring connection ( when the engine has cooled) and bingo.. back to normal.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My temperature was displaying XXX after I swapped my spark plugs. I removed the temp sensor and reinstalled it and everything was fine. I figured I bumped the sensor when I was working on the plugs.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

s your car stock?
Nope...WCCH heads, torquer 116 cam, Pfadt headers, Dewitts and a few other minor mods.

My temperature sensor quits frequently. All I do is wiggle the wiring connection ( when the engine has cooled) and bingo.. back to normal.
I found and disconnected the wiring harness from the sensor, and still no joy. I'll get a new one from the autoparts store. My only concern is it looks pretty new and the wiring going to it has no slack, i'm hoping the wires are not crimped somewhere and the harness is not all jacked. I was thinking of connecting the new sensor to the harness without putting it into the head first to see if I can get a reading. No sense yanking parts out the car if they are good.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed that the wires on that sensor are pretty close to my Pfadt headers. I am going to put a heat sleeve around the sensor wires to be safe.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedNought6
I was thinking of connecting the new sensor to the harness without putting it into the head first to see if I can get a reading. No sense yanking parts out the car if they are good.
Make sure to ground the new sensor when you're checking it.

Get notified of new replies

To Temperature Sensor Kaput

Quick Reply: [Z06] Temperature Sensor Kaput