Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 is dead, boosting not working??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:44 PM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 is dead, boosting not working??

Well the Z was in the garage since october and I never started it all winter, bad on my part I know I know. I had to manualy open the doors it was stone dead. Anyway the only way I can boost it is off the battery because its parked with back end to the door. So I hook up the booster cables and all the interior lights come on and door dinger etc and I give it a minute or two then I hit start. Click click click click click. Not even cranking over. Do these cars HAVE to be boosted from under the hood or what?? I have a trickle charge on it right now on a 10A fast charge and i'll give it 30 mins or so then try it again.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by logan1080
Well the Z was in the garage since october and I never started it all winter, bad on my part I know I know. I had to manualy open the doors it was stone dead. Anyway the only way I can boost it is off the battery because its parked with back end to the door. So I hook up the booster cables and all the interior lights come on and door dinger etc and I give it a minute or two then I hit start. Click click click click click. Not even cranking over. Do these cars HAVE to be boosted from under the hood or what?? I have a trickle charge on it right now on a 10A fast charge and i'll give it 30 mins or so then try it again.
You may have to give it a little longer but they should boost from the battery. Sounds like a REALLY dead battery. Time for a new one.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

You may get it started if you give it some more time on the charger but I would invest in a new battery and a battery tender.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:39 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery could be a little too far gone. New fully charged one should fix you up.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 PM
06-Z0SICK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was stone dead too this spring. I had to let it charge for an hour before it would crank. Same exact thing happened to me, all lights not crank. Time for another new battery!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM
logan1080
Pro

Yup a new battery is in order. Charger is still on it I will leave it for another hour I think for sure. I do have a battery tender but you have to plug it into the wall for it to work which means I would have to leave the rear hatch open and leave car cover off. Is there a tender that plugs into cigarette lighter and then to the batter so I can leave the car closed up with cover off of it?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:52 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you need to wire an external tender hookup. That way you can leave the charger and cover on.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:06 PM
06-Z0SICK
Burning Brakes

Yup a new battery is in order. Charger is still on it I will leave it for another hour I think for sure. I do have a battery tender but you have to plug it into the wall for it to work which means I would have to leave the rear hatch open and leave car cover off. Is there a tender that plugs into cigarette lighter and then to the batter so I can leave the car closed up with cover off of it?
Ya Gene sells them they plug into the cigarette lighter and then into the wall and you can shut your door! Im going to order one soon to keep this from happening all of the time to me!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:09 PM
sofast
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I hooked mine up the way REPZ06 describes in this posting. I run an extension in through the front grill, connect it up, close the hood and cover the car.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...er-hookup.html
Old 04-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I practically do the same thing...just run the tender connector wire over the front fascia...
(it fits in the "gap" w/the rubber seal between the front of the hood and the fascia when the hood is closed).

connect positive directly to the indicated fuse box post, and negative to the bolt on the alternator bracket where
it meets the engine casing...close the fuse box cover gently but don't latch it...then close the hood and cover the car...
so far, no problems.

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 04-10-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 PM
logan1080
Pro

Got the car going. Trickle charger didn't give it enough juice. One last attempt at boosting it and it fired up. Let it run and shut it off and it started again so battery still may work but I will be replacing it anyway.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

smart move...could be time for a battery anyway for you (5 yrs old ?)

remember to re-index your windows afterwards...

glad your car is running again...
Old 04-11-2011, 05:39 PM
logan1080
Pro

yup 5 yrs old so I think she is due for a new one.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

If you guys put a car away in October, is it okay to let it sit (not firing it up) until around this time? I had a tender on mine and this past weekend it fired up no problems. Is that hard on the car? Or should I be starting it up every few weeks? Doesnt this allow mosture to build up with the heat cycling?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I would not start-up a car that is being stored for the winter.

As long as you put it away correctly (StaBil in the fuel, etc) and kept the tender on it, the car should be fine.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spinkick
If you guys put a car away in October, is it okay to let it sit (not firing it up) until around this time? I had a tender on mine and this past weekend it fired up no problems. Is that hard on the car? Or should I be starting it up every few weeks? Doesnt this allow mosture to build up with the heat cycling?
You are correct. Leave it alone until you're ready to start driving it. Start up is always the most critical for wear on a dry engine. By waiting to start it at the beginning of your driving season, you've minimized those dry starts to only one; and no extra heat cycles for added condensation in the oil.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I would not start-up a car that is being stored for the winter.

As long as you put it away correctly (StaBil in the fuel, etc) and kept the tender on it, the car should be fine.
Thanks Gary, that's just what I did. I appreciate the advice. Thanks JJC5 as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 is dead, boosting not working??

Old 04-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

I put in a battery charge port just above the license plate in the back where I hook up my battery tender before putting the cover on for storage (I have a detailed write up on this if your interested). I also do some other stuff before putting her up for the winter too.

When its time to bring it out of hibernation, I bring the tire pressure to 30 lbs, change the clutch fluid if needed, pull the baggies off the exhaust pipes, and pull the fuel pump fuse This way I can turn the engine over for three or four bursts w/o starting it to get oil circulating. Then I replace the fuel pump fuse and fire it up. Works great.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lead Foot 66
I put in a battery charge port just above the license plate in the back where I hook up my battery tender before putting the cover on for storage (I have a detailed write up on this if your interested). I also do some other stuff before putting her up for the winter too.

When its time to bring it out of hibernation, I bring the tire pressure to 30 lbs, change the clutch fluid if needed, pull the baggies off the exhaust pipes, and pull the fuel pump fuse This way I can turn the engine over for three or four bursts w/o starting it to get oil circulating. Then I replace the fuel pump fuse and fire it up. Works great.
Interesting. Do you think the starer moving things around does less damage and gets enough circulating compared to combustion? Serious question. Thats a pretty good idea. The baggies over the pipes are to keep animals out I assume?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Ben01C5
Drifting

I bought the Battery tender from Gene a couple weeks ago as i was out for a 30 day training op and knew that when I got back the battery would be dead.

Got home tried to fire her up and lights came on but no cranking.
Plugged the battery tender in to the wall and then the cigarette lighter let it sit for a day or so and then went back out to the car and she fired right up. Took the car to work that day and she has been fine since.

The battery tender Gene sells is pretty nice with the Corvette logos on it and I like how it plugs right into the cigarette lighter. Just flatten the cord out and close the door. It is $90 but if you are goning to have one might as well have one with the Corvette logo.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 is dead, boosting not working??