Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Want to reach 600whp N/A on 91oct on my 06Z. Suggestions?

Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM
notn41
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Want to reach 600whp N/A on 91oct on my 06Z. Suggestions?

I currently have a 2006 Z06.
My performance mods are:

K&N Intake
LG Long tube headers with high flow cats
Corsa Catback exhaust
Lingenfelter 160 degree thermostat upgrade

I want to reach the goal of 600whp without going over the top on price.
My idea was to add these parts to my current set up:

Lingenfelter GT-21 with ferrera dual valve springs

Head work (dont know what type would be best)?(maybe send to lingenfelter and have them port and polish?)

Ported FAST LSXr intake manifold

Is there anything that I'm leaving out? Would these parts get me to my goal of 600whp on 91 octane? Should I consider a different cam similar to this one?

I know everyone says less power can be faster than more and what not. I understand that but am looking for the magical 600whp goal N/A like most power seekers.

Thank you in Advance,
Anton
Old 04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

not sure it'll be possible on 91. other's will chime in i'm sure. might have to go FI or E85. Plus if you stay NA you'll need to mill the heads for more compression, but that will be iffy on 91. no expert here though. do you have E85 around there? if so, call Carlos.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Call Carlos. He can get you to 600 rwhp no problem.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Rosspbig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have to do everything you possibly can to the stock motor to get that power level.

Ported FAST 102
Ported NW TB
Ported heads
very aggressive cam
Upgraded valvetrain
Headers
Exhaust
Intake
Maybe up the compression a little which means upgraded pistons.

This always amuses me when someone is dead set on getting a certain #. Would you rather have a car that is 600whp but is running on the ragged edge, or would you rather have a car that is 585whp and totally safe and reliable? I have always opted for the reliable safe car. Plus you wont be able to tell the difference between 585 whp and 600whp trust me.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:03 PM
notn41
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosspbig
You will have to do everything you possibly can to the stock motor to get that power level.

Ported FAST 102
Ported NW TB
Ported heads
very aggressive cam
Upgraded valvetrain
Headers
Exhaust
Intake
Maybe up the compression a little which means upgraded pistons.

This always amuses me when someone is dead set on getting a certain #. Would you rather have a car that is 600whp but is running on the ragged edge, or would you rather have a car that is 585whp and totally safe and reliable? I have always opted for the reliable safe car. Plus you wont be able to tell the difference between 585 whp and 600whp trust me.
I know it may seem funny to you that people have whp goals that may seem unattainable. Its a goal, you have to set one in order to figure out what types of parts you will need to build it. Why are you setting your goal at 585 whp per say? If I just say I want a lot of N/A power, its too general. Theres so many choices of types and sizes of cams and other parts for the c6Z. The reason I set the goal at 600whp on 91 is not every setup can get that power level. I can't just throw any large head and cam set up and expect 600whp. It takes a nearly perfectly selected list of parts to attain realiably on pump gas. Which is why I am asking for input. Most large head and cam set ups can pick up about 580 whp pretty easily.

Last edited by notn41; 04-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

600 on the ground out of 427 cu in> N/A? You'll probably have to change fuels. I hear diesel is making a comeback...
Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 633 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by notn41
I know it may seem funny to you that people have whp goals that may seem unattainable. Its a goal, you have to set one in order to figure out what types of parts you will need to build it. Why are you setting your goal at 585 whp per say? If I just say I want a lot of N/A power, its too general. Theres so many choices of types and sizes of cams and other parts for the c6Z. The reason I set the goal at 600whp on 91 is not every setup can get that power level. I can't just throw any large head and cam set up and expect 600whp. It takes a nearly perfectly selected list of parts to attain realiably on pump gas. Which is why I am asking for input. Most large head and cam set ups can pick up about 580 whp pretty easily.
Being up at altitude of Las Vegas and the excessive heat of summers there, I'm guessing it'll be near impossible to hit 600RWHP on 91 pump gas n/a.
If E85 is readily available, you might be able to hit your n/a goals with a big bump in compression, but I think with 91 it'll be out of reach.

IMHO.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

your goal is obtainable. you can't mill your heads because you'll bump the compression, which means 91oct is a no go. you can port the heads, fast intake, NW TB for max flow. little things like an underdrive pully and electric water pump will help. A Black Widow cam will get you pretty close. you say you dont want to go over the top on price, but all these little parts that give you 11HP there, 8HP start to add up...

There's a saying that goes:
Fast & Cheap = not Reliable
Reliable & Cheap = not Fast
Fast & Reliable = not Cheap!

take your pick!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Rosspbig
Racer

Originally Posted by notn41
Its not unattainable, but 600 whp on 91 octane is going to be very tough. My opinion is that there is really not a huge difference between a 585 whp car and a 600 whp car. Thats only a 3 percent power increase. It is also my opinion that running a car on 91 octane at 600 whp is not going to last. It seems you just want the say your car has 600 whp on pump gas. You also say you dont want to pay too much. Trust me it will cost you almost as much to squeeze those last 15-20 whp out of it as it did to get to 570-580 whp ish.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

RPM motors finished my forged motor in time for the mojave mile.
It made 550rwhp without headers and a very conserative tune for the first few thousand miles. With headers comming soon, and an upgraded tune should be in the 575-580rwhp. This is a dailey driver. The cam is a 650/650/230-242/on 113 LSA. It idles great at 800rpms. it has very little low speed issues. The only thing I'm not sold on is the ACT duel disc clutch because of the light flywheel. A light flywheel is great for the track and not so great on the street. Reason, The light throttle surging would be gone with the heavier wheel because of the mass. that"s why the factory puts them in street cars. It takes much more throttle to move the car with a light wheel and in traffic it's a bitch. ACT is aware of the issue and is making a heavier flywheel but it's only 2 lbs more. Point is, the get to 600rwhp you'll need more duration than my cam and that will indeed create more drivability issues if it's a dailely driver. If not, and it's a weekend only car, then it doesn't matter what kind of maners it has.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add CI's.

I would just do all the normal bolts porting where possible then port the heads and talk with a proven shop to get you the biggest cam you can live with and just let the number be what it is.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Why 600rwhp? It takes a big donkey d!ck cam that runs like chit down low to get that number on 91 and the car feels like a pig below 4k. Yeah it will run good at the drag strip, but a car with less rwhp and more tq will walk you on the street every time. I just made 585/555 with a Katech Street Attack 427 and their torquer cam. At first I thought the cam might be too small, but after driving it I would never go back. I had a larger cam in there previously and thought it was great, but with over 60 lbft or tq more at 3k rpm the car is much more fun. 600 rwhp is just a bench racing number. You will be much happier with a 580 rwhp car that makes good power across the board.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Why 600rwhp? It takes a big donkey d!ck cam that runs like chit down low to get that number on 91 and the car feels like a pig below 4k. Yeah it will run good at the drag strip, but a car with less rwhp and more tq will walk you on the street every time. I just made 585/555 with a Katech Street Attack 427 and their torquer cam. At first I thought the cam might be too small, but after driving it I would never go back. I had a larger cam in there previously and thought it was great, but with over 60 lbft or tq more at 3k rpm the car is much more fun. 600 rwhp is just a bench racing number. You will be much happier with a 580 rwhp car that makes good power across the board.
Took the words righ out of my mouth and many other mouths...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The guy wants 600rwhp. Tell him what he needs to do, don't try and convince him to accept 580 and more torque. He can read about the advantages of torque in other threads...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by sprinter
The guy wants 600rwhp. Tell him what he needs to do, don't try and convince him to accept 580 and more torque. He can read about the advantages of torque in other threads...
To hit 600 rwhp he will need milled/ported heads, a HUGE cam, Fast 102/102, long tubes, cold air, ewp and an aggressive tune. On 91 gas that's asking a lot and I sure as hell would not do it on stock pistons. To each his own though... My car runs great.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

To hit 600 rwhp in those condition...

-1) you need a good dyno operator...
-2) or the dyno weather station on the heater...
-3) or be ready to have difficult time to drive in town...

Christian
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM
spartanc6z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Everyone is biased when it comes to they're own set-up. Your cars a beast! It was a beast even before it blew with your cam only. Im not saying XXX cam is better then XXXX but could you imagine your car with say a punisher cam. Probably more torque and guaranteed more hp. Why mess with something already good, but im just saying..

I too am limited to 91oct but i dont have a goal. Just be the meanest from a roll and represent the Z crowd.
Good luck with your goal OP

Get notified of new replies

To Want to reach 600whp N/A on 91oct on my 06Z. Suggestions?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by spartanc6z06
Everyone is biased when it comes to they're own set-up. Your cars a beast! It was a beast even before it blew with your cam only. Im not saying XXX cam is better then XXXX but could you imagine your car with say a punisher cam. Probably more torque and guaranteed more hp. Why mess with something already good, but im just saying..

I too am limited to 91oct but i dont have a goal. Just be the meanest from a roll and represent the Z crowd.
Good luck with your goal OP
Well said. I did not have a goal with this buils either because tha's how you get let down. When people asked "what's it gonna make" I said "don't care as long as the tq is usable."

The cam with the craziest name is not always the best cam. It means a lot when companies have hundreds of hours on engine dyno's testing their stuff. Anybody can pull some numbers out of a hat and make power, but how long will valvetrain parts and pistons last?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Man...you guys are jumping all over this fella when what he is really looking for is sound advice.

I would suggest you start by looking into Snow Performance for water methanol injection to sold your fuel limitations.....91 octane fuel easily chemically "doped" to an observed 100+ and you should be on your way. Good luck :-)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=Six-Gun-Todd;1577326702]Man...you guys are jumping all over this fella when what he is really looking for is sound advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Want to reach 600whp N/A on 91oct on my 06Z. Suggestions?