Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] looking to be in the 10s club. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 PM
toroz06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to be in the 10s club. Need advice

Ok so I guess I will start from the beginning. last friday I went to the track and as soon as I pull in. one of the track official told me "you got your work cut out" I said why? and he said "lots of GT-R's"
I wasn't worried becouse was not my first time in front of a GTR (stock) but this GTR's were hitting 10.9 11.2 and 11. another Z06 was on the track (bone stock). 4 GTR's vs him. they were killing him

so I did 3 run's. first one vs camaro I did 11.399 It feel like a perfect pass . second pass vs one GTR bone stock newbie at the wheel. I take off in front of him and when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear my clutch pedal was stuck to the floor ( I did change the clutch fluid that morning) and the 3rd pass vs other GTR with exhaust, pipes, light weight seats, tune and who knows what. I pull right next to it and did a crap of burn out. I was afraid that the clutch over heated.
so when we take of I was spinning my tires and only did 11.5 vs 11.

I was so **** off , I dont want that to ever happen again. so what is the best way to get my 07Z06 to 10s on just bolt ons. so far I have K&N, LG long tubes headers, X pipe, borla and drag radial and a diablo programmer
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Put in some 4.10 gears offered by RPM Transmission, that the fastest bolt on Z on this forum is running VERY low 10s with, along with a new clutch and a dyno tune, and some good drag radials, and consistent 10s will be yours, no problem, afater and a litte seat time, and you will be able to SPANK 2012 GTRs.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Antonio1988
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy... more seat time. With your mods and tires your car should go 10.7x all day. Ranger, although a freak of a driver, went into that range bone stock on stock runcraps. Just some food for thought
Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by toroz06
Ok so I guess I will start from the beginning. last friday I went to the track and as soon as I pull in. one of the track official told me "you got your work cut out" I said why? and he said "lots of GT-R's"
I wasn't worried becouse was not my first time in front of a GTR (stock) but this GTR's were hitting 10.9 11.2 and 11. another Z06 was on the track (bone stock). 4 GTR's vs him. they were killing him

so I did 3 run's. first one vs camaro I did 11.399 It feel like a perfect pass . second pass vs one GTR bone stock newbie at the wheel. I take off in front of him and when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear my clutch pedal was stuck to the floor ( I did change the clutch fluid that morning) and the 3rd pass vs other GTR with exhaust, pipes, light weight seats, tune and who knows what. I pull right next to it and did a crap of burn out. I was afraid that the clutch over heated.

I was so **** off , I dont want that to ever happen again. so what is the best way to get my 07Z06 to 10s on just bolt ons. so far I have K&N, LG long tubes headers, X pipe, borla and drag radial and a diablo programmer
Your car is a 10 sec. car but you need some mods to drive it into the 10"s, not the car.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

hey man osw is horrid....I'm sure you can do better at a better track
Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

C6Z with or without mods is a difficult car to drive well. Extracting best acceleration takes practice that can be done in the garage and at the track. There are a lot of individual elements that take repetition to get them embedded in muscle memory.

Meanwhile, the GTR is easy to drive to near its potential. AWD...auto-tranny.

To improve your C6Z driving, suggest going to the Fast List and clicking the links to (1) the original threads describing best passes and (2) the videos. Reading the words involving driver technique and seeing and hearing the driver actions will help illuminate an improvement for your driving.

BTW, I did a coaching session at Orlando Speedworld and found the track and racing surface to be excellent. The OSW ZR1 owner I was coaching vaulted to #2 on the stock/DR Fast List. That wouldn't have happened if the track weren't primo.

Ranger
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 AM
danielzo6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel that a supercharger system is a bolt on. but that's just my .02
Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

1st off... if losing to GTRs get you mad, dont come down to PBIR. There are several Low 10 second GTRs here that run on a regular basis. Anyone can run those cars to their potential.
Second, your car is a 10 second car now! You just need to get better at driving it. As Ranger said its not easy. It takes some practice. I have run my Z06 into the 10s all stock on DR. But it took the right weather and driving technique to get there. I feel confidant that with your mods, your car can run 10s in even not so perfect weather. You got to work on the launch and get the shifting down as well. Practice, practice, practice!!
When I got my '06 Z new. I had lots of drag racing experience. I thought I could get all of it quickly. But that is simply not the case. The launch is most difficult for me. With the clutch being finiky and not wanting to wheel hop.... it takes some time to get the feel. Dont be so quick to mod your car into the 10s..... try the driver mod 1st. You will be happy you did!!! When I go to the track now, most guys out there that dont know me (even some Corvette guys)... dont believe my car is 100% stock... that is a good feeling!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 AM
toroz06
Racer

Originally Posted by danielzo6
I feel that a supercharger system is a bolt on. but that's just my .02
Originally Posted by Ranger
C6Z with or without mods is a difficult car to drive well. Extracting best acceleration takes practice that can be done in the garage and at the track. There are a lot of individual elements that take repetition to get them embedded in muscle memory.

Meanwhile, the GTR is easy to drive to near its potential. AWD...auto-tranny.

To improve your C6Z driving, suggest going to the Fast List and clicking the links to (1) the original threads describing best passes and (2) the videos. Reading the words involving driver technique and seeing and hearing the driver actions will help illuminate an improvement for your driving.

BTW, I did a coaching session at Orlando Speedworld and found the track and racing surface to be excellent. The OSW ZR1 owner I was coaching vaulted to #2 on the stock/DR Fast List. That wouldn't have happened if the track weren't primo.

Ranger
that or cars are very difficult car to drive well. The GTR's anybody can drive them well after 2 o 3 pass.

what I want is to have a z06 that anybody can take down the track a run 10s
Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 AM
toroz06
Racer

Originally Posted by whatcop?
hey man osw is horrid....I'm sure you can do better at a better track
I never being in other track but osw. But I feel that the track is well pre. maybe I'm wrong
Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio1988
Easy... more seat time. With your mods and tires your car should go 10.7x all day. Ranger, although a freak of a driver, went into that range bone stock on stock runcraps. Just some food for thought
Might want to check your facts before you post!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
toroz06
Racer

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Put in some 4.10 gears offered by RPM Transmission, that the fastest bolt on Z on this forum is running VERY low 10s with, along with a new clutch and a dyno tune, and some good drag radials, and consistent 10s will be yours, no problem, afater and a litte seat time, and you will be able to SPANK 2012 GTRs.
I like the 4.10 idea, the clutch and the dyno tune what about the fast intake or ported intake and TB?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 AM
DriftKing
Instructor

You shouldn't feel too bad about your driving ... DA was > 1000 this past Friday night at Orlando Speedway. While there is certainly room for driver improvement, don't think driver mod only will yield consistent 10 second passes in poor DA with your current build. That is a tall order IMO. There are only a couple bolt on only 10.9xx passes on the
Fast List in similar poor DA. The naturally aspirated LS7 is much more sensitive to DA than forced induction cars like the GTR or ZR1.

If you want consistent 10s an aftermarket clutch should be your first upgrade; the stock clutch is clearly the weak link in your current build. 410 gears, as suggested by Jimmy, will get you there, but you may not want the other trade offs associated with the huge gearing change when daily driven. If not, a cam or forced induction build are other alternatives to get into the 10s consistently, even in poor DA. BUT, you will still need to improve your driving technique as many have learned more power just makes hooking launches and shifts more challenging in a traction limited Z06.

Good luck!!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 PM
toroz06
Racer

Originally Posted by DriftKing
You shouldn't feel too bad about your driving ... DA was > 1000 this past Friday night at Orlando Speedway. While there is certainly room for driver improvement, don't think driver mod only will yield consistent 10 second passes in poor DA with your current build. That is a tall order IMO. There are only a couple bolt on only 10.9xx passes on the
Fast List in similar poor DA. The naturally aspirated LS7 is much more sensitive to DA than forced induction cars like the GTR or ZR1.

If you want consistent 10s an aftermarket clutch should be your first upgrade; the stock clutch is clearly the weak link in your current build. 410 gears, as suggested by Jimmy, will get you there, but you may not want the other trade offs associated with the huge gearing change when daily driven. If not, a cam or forced induction build are other alternatives to get into the 10s consistently, even in poor DA. BUT, you will still need to improve your driving technique as many have learned more power just makes hooking launches and shifts more challenging in a traction limited Z06.

Good luck!!
thanks for the support. but I'm not good with abbreviation can you tell me what DA mean? :o

"but you may not want the other trade offs associated with the huge gearing change" is that bad?

What is a good clutch for the z06? is the BC2 too much?

Last edited by toroz06; 04-25-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:33 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

thanks for the support. but I'm not good with abbreviation can you tell me what DA mean? :o
Density altitude. DA and its effects on ET are described here: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=47985
This is a popular DA calculator: Dragtimes DA calculator

"but you may not want the other trade offs associated with the huge gearing change" is that bad?
Your Z's stock gears are 3.42, and the top speed is ~200 mph. Changing to 4.10 gears will substantially lower the top speed of your Z. So in first gear, for example, you currently shift to second at ~60 mph at 7000 rpm. With 4.10 gears you will be going much slower in 1st at 7000 rpm. This will be the case for all gears. When cruising 80 mph in 6th you are currently at < 2000 rpm; with 4.10s you will be at a higher RPM, probably > 2000. Whether it is bad or not depends on your personal preference, I just wanted to be sure you were aware of the difference.

Clutch selection will also depend on your personal driving tastes. I recommend you work with a respected, proven vendor on which clutch will best match your desired experience.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

DA= density altitude. lets make this simple, the higher the DA the slower your car goes.

the higher gears will make your car always at higher RPMs. lets say with the stock gears @ 60mph you are at say 1500RPM in 6th gear, with the 4.10 you will be at 2000RPM. MPG will drop down. not sure about other trade offs

i would really rec the katech LS9R clutch. feels like a stock clutch and does great work. I have the LS9X, which is their older one, and its Great. the BC2 is also a nice clutch from what i read here but have no experience with it so cant comment on it
Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^^^ or what he said lol which has more info and better explanation

Get notified of new replies

To looking to be in the 10s club. Need advice

Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

oz700 clutch
ported fast 102
ported tb
vararam
kooks headers
no cats
borla stingers
mgw shifter
braile battery
afx 2 piece rotors
lightweight race seats
acp wc carbon hood
18x10.5 c5z wheels w/ 315 mt dr's

-1000 ft da

i know its not a bolt-on,(bolt in) add a cam. perferably Lethal
Old 04-25-2011, 01:30 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock z06 with slicks. All you need to hit tens is a driver mod and experience.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

I would suggest, as I most ALWAYS do, is maximize the driver mod BEFORE doing mods to the car.
Adding MORE hp to these cars make them HARDER to drive fast, NOT easier, as often is the misconception.

Another suggestion I have is FORGET the car next to you! That will only cause you to do things incorrectly. Who cares if you beat him to the line. Let them go first, THEN you launch & let your ET speak for itself. Once you get your technique down and can repeat it and fast ET's THEN maybe try to actually race the car next to you. Then too, you CAN mod if you feel the need.
As for the GT-R's, the new ones run 10's stock if I remember correctly, so to beat one of them stock is pretty much impossible if you are 100% stock also.

Ron

Quick Reply: [Z06] looking to be in the 10s club. Need advice