Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 with a flat plane crank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that a 90' is a cross plane, and 180' is flat plane.
You can't have a 90' flat plane. The name comes from looking at it end on end, and the cross thats seen due to the layout.

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Here's a question. If you had a 90 degree flat plane crank V8, would the crankshaft essentially be the same configuration as a cross plane straight 8?

Also, while the 180 degree header does sound interesting, it still doesn't have that flat plane sound (but then again, it's hard to tell what something sounds like in real life until you hear it in person).
Old 07-02-2011, 07:32 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

At this point I'm researching the pro's and con's.

I'm coming into my first Z06, having owned before hand cars like Mitsi EVO 6.5, and a Nissan R34 GT-R, so a different form of performance, where its equivalent power, but with very instant throttle response compared to similar powered V8's that I've driven.

I'm looking at how to get a balance of both worlds, and to me, thats looking into the potential of a flatplane, ITB's, LS7 engine. In the end all the numbers may stack up that it doesn't make sense from a power point of view, but I do like the aspect of having something different too.

I'm not interested in 800HP engines, as I know better about how I drive both on and off the track. Having a fast response 500ATW-600HP engine would more than make me smile.

Also from what I've seen, massive amounts of torque can make things interesting getting off the line, powering out of corners etc etc.
Smoothing things out a little, and giving me power progressively, and faster responding, as I work the throttle ( which is how a lot of euro flat plane V8's work, just smaller capacity ), does I think, give me a lot of advantages over standard V8's out there.
Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
So what is the goal for this build? Do it for the sake of having done it? Do you want to make X amount of power?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

I think you'll find that much like Audi having to change back to cross plane from experimenting in flatplane in its racing class, NASCAR is also restricted by being race what you build mentality. To make everything equal, there are base components that need to be similar to the production line.

Audi had to change after going flatplane because it began to do so much better than everyone else, and it forced an absolute wording of the rules to be enforced. Audi was of the mind that flatplane was the same part as the cross plane, just 'twisted'. The governing body didn't the same way....

You're kidding me, right? NASCAR doesn't use a cross-plane crank because it works better, they use it because their I'm-so-drunk-I-can't-fish target audience wanted a 'racecar' that sounded like the low-revving, big block V8 their grandpa used to run moonshine in backwoods Arkansas. Every decision NASCAR makes is done in the interest of maintaining their low brow, beer swillin', tabaccy-chewin', trailer trash image.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Pricing I have so far is from $2500 for 4340 billet, and $4500 for 4330 billet.
Cam is about $1000, and more for associated forged rods, pistons, springs etc ( which people do anyway when going down the FI route )

Now I know some people think that's expensive compared to 'normal' parts, which is true.
But, comparing that to smacking on showey rims(4000-5000), or SC's ( alot ), its pretty reasonable for having a more efficient, responding engine.

If you use lightweight forged parts, you wouldn't necessarily use balancing shafts. There's figures showing that a flat plane has four times the 'shaking' than a cross plane, but no one has said four times what force.
The shacking is from side to side, and Ive seen big cammed engines try to shake a car to pieces, and its just accepted that's the case.
So I'm just accepting its going to be the same with a flat plane, and maybe I'll have to strengthen the engine and gearbox mounts.

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides

Speaking of free! If you get a .25M minimum order of flat plane cranks, you'd likely see a $2500 per unit rate... else it's gonna be mad expensive.

I'd be curious how one would even go about slapping balance shafts into the mix.

edit: IIRC, NASCAR experimented with flat-planes and well, there's a reason that "low brow non-exotic" engine still outclasses a heck of a lot of Euro engines.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveRiellyNZ
At this point I'm researching the pro's and con's.

I'm coming into my first Z06, having owned before hand cars like Mitsi EVO 6.5, and a Nissan R34 GT-R, so a different form of performance, where its equivalent power, but with very instant throttle response compared to similar powered V8's that I've driven.

I'm looking at how to get a balance of both worlds, and to me, thats looking into the potential of a flatplane, ITB's, LS7 engine. In the end all the numbers may stack up that it doesn't make sense from a power point of view, but I do like the aspect of having something different too.

I'm not interested in 800HP engines, as I know better about how I drive both on and off the track. Having a fast response 500ATW-600HP engine would more than make me smile.

Also from what I've seen, massive amounts of torque can make things interesting getting off the line, powering out of corners etc etc.
Smoothing things out a little, and giving me power progressively, and faster responding, as I work the throttle ( which is how a lot of euro flat plane V8's work, just smaller capacity ), does I think, give me a lot of advantages over standard V8's out there.
Have you driven a Z06? I seriously doubt those small cube, turbo motor have better response than even a stock LS7.

If you use lightweight forged parts, you wouldn't necessarily use balancing shafts. There's figures showing that a flat plane has four times the 'shaking' than a cross plane, but no one has said four times what force.
The shacking is from side to side, and Ive seen big cammed engines try to shake a car to pieces, and its just accepted that's the case.
So I'm just accepting its going to be the same with a flat plane, and maybe I'll have to strengthen the engine and gearbox mounts.
Those same big cam motors smooth out right above idle.

If I were you, I'd have this dream engine you want to build analyzed on a computer simulation. It might save you a ton of money.

In track work I "think" this would mean when two comparable cars are powering out of a corner, the cross plane would have slightly more torque, which would equate to extra power, but its going to be accelerating slower that the flatplane, which has slightly less torque, but is climbing up in revs' faster.
Uh, so the more powerful engine will accelerate slower?

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 07-02-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

You're kidding me, right? NASCAR doesn't use a cross-plane crank because it works better, they use it because their I'm-so-drunk-I-can't-fish target audience wanted a 'racecar' that sounded like the low-revving, big block V8 their grandpa used to run moonshine in backwoods Arkansas. Every decision NASCAR makes is done in the interest of maintaining their low brow, beer swillin', tabaccy-chewin', trailer trash image.
Hater. You only say that because it is exactly true. lol
Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Yep driven them all. Two were mine, the other was a very well tuned Z06.
Its not the size of the engine thats gives the response, but how its setup internally and tuned.
GM LSx's are common place here, and as much as they have their fans, its inherently an inefficient design compared to a number of tuner engine that come out of Europe and japan.

The LS7 was good, and well setup, but my R34, which unlike the current R35 V6 3.8, is a straight line 6 2.6 litre twin turbo, was faster down the 1/4 mile, faster rolling from pretty much any speed to any speed, and faster responding engine.
Frankly, the LS7, albeit a great engine, not even close to the RB engine in response and power. There are 1000HP versions of the RB26DETT, using factory block, and we run 600HP+ in our street cars with mild tuning.

Watch this vid here, its shows a well tuned R34 ( I personally dont like the R35 at all, to much computing power driving, not hands and feet for me to take it seriously as a drivers car....dont get me wrong, its an amazing car, just not for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHRK5bJ6nPw - The drivers are two of the best to come out of japan, and have competed at the international level, including LeMans, with great success....so it might look like they're not brilliant the way the car is bucking around, but its because how fast the power delivery is.

If you want to see just how good...watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7rEFxUxxpU
Now thats driving!!

I want the LS7 version....not ultimate power...I want ultimate response. So looking at taking the standard LS7, and using my tuner knowledge to enhance it to what I know is overall a better package. Harrop ITB's, better exhaust, flat-plane with forged lightweight parts...the complete package.

All due respect, the stock LS7, is not at all a fast responding engine. It has lot of low down torque, but it takes a long time to get there.

Last edited by SteveRiellyNZ; 07-02-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Clean up my speeling :-)
Old 07-02-2011, 08:44 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

I'm watching NASCAR now on TV....my god its boring. Its truly a sport, and I use that term loosely, where you wait on edge for the next crash :-)

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Hater. You only say that because it is exactly true. lol
Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Yep driven them all. Two were mine, the other was a very well tuned Z06.
Its not the size of the engine thats gives the response, but how its setup internally and tuned.
GM LSx's are common place here, and as much as they have their fans, its inherently an inefficient design compared to a number of tuner engine that come out of Europe and japan.

The LS7 was good, and well setup, but my R34, which unlike the current R35 V6 3.8, is a straight line 6 2.6 litre twin turbo, was faster down the 1/4 mile, faster rolling from pretty much any speed to any speed, and faster responding engine.
Frankly, the LS7, albeit a great engine, not even close to the RB engine in response and power. There are 1000HP versions of the RB26DETT, using factory block, and we run 600HP+ in our street cars with mild tuning.

Watch this vid here, its shows a well tuned R34 ( I personally dont like the R35 at all, to much computing power driving, not hands and feet for me to take it seriously as a drivers car....dont get me wrong, its an amazing car, just not for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHRK5bJ6nPw - The drivers are two of the best to come out of japan, and have competed at the international level, including LeMans, with great success....so it might look like they're not brilliant the way the car is bucking around, but its because how fast the power delivery is.

If you want to see just how good...watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7rEFxUxxpU
Now thats driving!!

I want the LS7 version....not ultimate power...I want ultimate response. So looking at taking the standard LS7, and using my tuner knowledge to enhance it to what I know is overall a better package. Harrop ITB's, better exhaust, flat-plane with forged lightweight parts...the complete package.

All due respect, the stock LS7, is not at all a fast responding engine. It has lot of low down torque, but it takes a long time to get there.
I'd argue the LSx series of engines are very efficient based on how much fuel they burn per hp. When you have 505 hp 427ci that gets high 20's mpg you can't say it's not efficient. I haven't seen anything from europe or japan that compares.

Also, you are comparing extremely modified, turbocharged engines to a stock LS7. Of course they are faster. Turbo supra's are the same when modified.

I not sure what you mean by an LS7 being not all that fast responding. Gearing plays a part in how fast it will rev, but acceleration is brutal no matter how you define "response". Stock for stock, it would destroy that car in that video. Modified, all bets are off.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

The flat plane crank will get you more horsepower than a cross plane if the exhaust tuning is done correctly (and that's a fairly easy thing to do experimentally or numerically if you have the right knowledge). Also a huge plenum with tunned runners and ITBs will make alot of power and not sacrifice response. Additionally, if two separate plenum volumes are used (one for each bank), a big cam can be installed that behaves a bit better than it would otherwise.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Also, you are comparing extremely modified, turbocharged engines to a stock LS7. Of course they are faster. Turbo supra's are the same when modified.

I not sure what you mean by an LS7 being not all that fast responding. Gearing plays a part in how fast it will rev, but acceleration is brutal no matter how you define "response". Stock for stock, it would destroy that car in that video. Modified, all bets are off.
My RB was far from modified, its was tuned with only the pod filters done.
And yes although that Mines R34 is heavily modified, its gearing and acceleration is on par with its response. I've seen this car in action myself, and I do believe its been in the US on tracks...its extremely fast.
I've been around many tuned LSx engines, and seen them first hand too.

I'm comparing the factory RB engine, to the factory LS. I'm also comparing the tuned RB, to the tuned LSx. I'm looking at figures, dyno charts, first hand vids etc etc.

I realize there are many fans of the LSx engine that have their thoughts on how fast it is after driving them, however, few, if any of them, including many on this forum, have actually driven both on or off the track.
I have, so am able to factually state how they handle and perform. And Im across what is going to transfer across from one engine design to the other to enhance the package.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Id love to see dyno figures...thats the one part of the equation that I'm missing.
Plenty of opinions on both sides, but no ones able to actually show me figures yet.

I'll be working on ITB's from harrop that they are designing now, each bank with its own cold air intake, and an appropriate exhaust manifold to suit.
Originally Posted by PaintballaXX
The flat plane crank will get you more
horsepower than a cross plane if the exhaust tuning is done correctly (and that's a fairly easy thing to do experimentally or numerically if you have the right knowledge). Also a huge plenum with tunned runners and ITBs will make alot of power and not sacrifice response. Additionally, if two separate plenum volumes are used (one for each bank), a big cam can be installed that behaves a bit better than it would otherwise.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:23 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

My RB was far from modified, its was tuned with only the pod filters done.
And yes although that Mines R34 is heavily modified, its gearing and acceleration is on par with its response. I've seen this car in action myself, and I do believe its been in the US on tracks...its extremely fast.
I've been around many tuned LSx engines, and seen them first hand too.

I'm comparing the factory RB engine, to the factory LS. I'm also comparing the tuned RB, to the tuned LSx. I'm looking at figures, dyno charts, first hand vids etc etc.

I realize there are many fans of the LSx engine that have their thoughts on how fast it is after driving them, however, few, if any of them, including many on this forum, have actually driven both on or off the track.
I have, so am able to factually state how they handle and perform. And Im across what is going to transfer across from one engine design to the other to enhance the package.
I'm still not quite understanding what you are saying. It's not just "fans" of the LSx engines that think it's fast. It's a fact that this series engine is one of the best designed V8's ever and is very efficient. I don't believe for a second that a mildly tweaked skyline would stand a chance against a stock Z06, straight line or road race. But, you can believe what you want.

Good luck in whatever it is you are trying to achieve with a LS7. I'm not sure why you would even attempt it considering you don't really think it's not on par with that old tech, japanese inline 6.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:43 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

If it were the cat's meow, Katech and LG would already be racing it.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

I'm still not quite understanding what you are saying. It's not just "fans" of the LSx engines that think it's fast. It's a fact that this series engine is one of the best designed V8's ever and is very efficient. I don't believe for a second that a mildly tweaked skyline would stand a chance against a stock Z06, straight line or road race. But, you can believe what you want.

Good luck in whatever it is you are trying to achieve with a LS7. I'm not sure why you would even attempt it considering you don't really think it's not on par with that old tech, japanese inline 6.
Cause yea, a DOHC TwinTurbo that can rev to 8500 in street trim is old tech....

I've driven both. Unless you can say the same, and if you had you would know exactly where I'm coming from, then you can have your view from one side, and I'll stick with what I know about both.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Very true. Its why I'm talking to various tuners as to why they do and dont go down that road.

One company that can supply the crank, does so on a common basis to LS7 based sprint and race cars, and Comp Cams have the cams that match it. So there are people that do it.

Katech and LG may have knowledge in this area as to what they've done with it, but also have to think about the market that they sell too. There's likely a larger market for existing engines than those who do major conversions. Wont know until I get around to asking them, and finding out facts as figure's.

Thats what I've mentioned a number of times, I'm after facts and figures, yet keep getting opinions from people who are stating assumptions, and what they think.

034657]If it were the cat's meow, Katech and LG would already be racing it.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-03-2011, 11:48 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Cause yea, a DOHC TwinTurbo that can rev to 8500 in street trim is old tech....

I've driven both. Unless you can say the same, and if you had you would know exactly where I'm coming from, then you can have your view from one side, and I'll stick with what I know about both.
I'm beginning to doubt if you actually have. A stock Z06 will destroy any stock skyline. That is a fact. Those skylines were lucky to clip a 14 second 1/4 mi.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 with a flat plane crank?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:59 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

One company that can supply the crank, does so on a common basis to LS7 based sprint and race cars, and Comp Cams have the cams that match it. So there are people that do it.

Thats what I've mentioned a number of times, I'm after facts and figures, yet keep getting opinions from people who are stating assumptions, and what they think.
What company is supplying flat plane cranks for the LS7 and what sprint/race cars are using them? I'm very interested to see the long list of customers this "company" has.

The irony of your second paragraph above is priceless.

So looking at taking the standard LS7, and using my tuner knowledge to enhance it to what I know is overall a better package.
Based on posts you've made in this thread, you have very limited knowledge about engines in general. You'll need to take a dynamics class to discover the abortion you're trying to do with the LS7. I seriously doubt anybody has done a flat plane LS7 and I'd be careful dealing with the company that wants to sell you a flat plane crankshaft for one.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:17 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Here's a question. If you had a 90 degree flat plane crank V8, would the crankshaft essentially be the same configuration as a cross plane straight 8?

Also, while the 180 degree header does sound interesting, it still doesn't have that flat plane sound (but then again, it's hard to tell what something sounds like in real life until you hear it in person).
As noted above, there's no such thing as a 90° flat plane V8. Just when I thought your stupidity couldn't be exceeded, you posted the following rant that showed you can exceed your stupidity with your ignorance.

Do you realize you just insulted all of the forum members who enjoy watching a NASCAR race with the above ignorant rant? You've obviously never heard a NASCAR engine or you wouldn't have made the above statements about sounding like a "low-revving, big block V8". Current NASCAR engines run at ~9400 RPM and use valve lifts of over 1"...without roller lifters. If ignorance is bliss, you must be one happy MF. I'd love to see a video of you strapped in a NASCAR car for one 10/10ths lap getting bumped around by the other cars, it'd be funny watching you scream like a little girl.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Two places that forge flat plane cranks:

http://www.kingscrankshaft.com/kings...ft_llc_009.htm
Talk to Rick King, he gave me the name of Chris Padgett at Comp Cams to supply the associated cam to go with this.

http://www.bryantracing.com/

Jim Smaaladen
Bryant Racing
1600 E. Winston Rd.
Anaheim, CA 92805
714-535-2695 ext. 116
F: 714-535-4387

You'll also find the name John Lingenfelter mention in some discussions as well.

If any of those four, more than worthy names are not worthy enough for you, then well your welcome to your opinion.
But once again, I'm interested in talking to knowledgeable people about the matter, and have an educated discussion.

So far both of you have proven to be the complete opposite, and frankly, not worth the time being involved in this thread.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 with a flat plane crank?