Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Caliper pin backed out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 PM
StanleyTTU
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Caliper pin backed out?

Hey guys. Crazy thing happened to my Z06 recently. The driver's side rear caliper had a pin on the inside work its way out (not all the way, I still have the pin). The center pin was only a few turns from all the way out of the caliper. It allowed for the brake pads to come loose and one of them fell out! The noise of a piston pushing on a brake rotor is something to behold. Thankfully the first time I heard it I got off the brakes and nursed the car home at 10mph, gently using the handbrake to stop when required. The rotor and piston don't appear damaged.

Question - why in the world would a pin work its way back out? I didn't do the previous brake job - could this just mean it wasn't torqued to spec? Or is this a common problem for the Z06?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

It's not common, but it has happened.

I can recall several other instances that have been reported here on the forum, and they were all from very hard use of brakes on the track. Here's a thread in the AutoX/Roadrace section of the forum about the most recent one:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-pins-ra.html

So....it shouldn't happen, but it does.

In your case, with just street driving, it's very strange!!!

You mentioned a brake job, and that may have been the reason, if the pins weren't tropers properly - (edited to change torque spec) I agree with AzDave47 in his post below, I checked and the torque spec is 23 ft-lbs.

However, most people swap pads by removing the calipers, and don't even mess with the pad pins.

Anyway.....glad that it appears no damage was done!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-13-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Torque is 23 lb-ft. A more common problem is that they seize in the bores. Good luck on pad replacement.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
StanleyTTU
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel very fortunate after reading through that other thread. This could have been a disaster!

New Hawk pads are on the way for installation next week.

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper pin backed out?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Caliper pin backed out?