Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 03-05-2015, 06:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

[Z06] APSIS Z06 Front Splash Guard Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:02 AM
HeyDanNiceShot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine should be here this week and I'll post a step-by-step in about 3 weeks (having some painting done first). I'm not new to body mods, so I'll try and be as thorough and complete as possible with lots of pics.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:14 AM
sengli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine took a month to arrive after I ordered and payed for them. They arent plastic they are fiberglass. The installation instruction are lacking. Mine came with 6 screws just thrown into the box amongst the packing. I ended up putting three screws in each of them to secure them to the inner liner. At $350 I dont want them to come loose. Fit was very good and the paint on them makes them look like OEM. I have a yellow Z and they arent even noticable. Hope they work, and keep the blasting of the rear air duct area from getting any worse.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

I use black race tape - It protects better that the guards. However, it does not look as nice. But, my car is mint with no rock chips.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought about them but they came out to around $500 shipped to Canada.

For that price, I decided to get all of my chip prone areas covered in Avery Nanofusion. Not only the rear quarters but the bumper, hood, etc.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:07 AM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by hiznhrz
I was wondering, has anyone bought and installed them recently if so, would you mind commenting on your installation experience and saying whether you were satisfied with the end product?

Thanks in Advance.
When we purchased our 07 last year it had 4,000 miles on it and there were numerous chips around the rear brake duct. In researching ways to keep that from happening further I ran across the Apsis guards and the clear bra and decided to do both. Both have worked great and, for what they accomplish, I believe the cost for both is well worth it.

They match the rear guards well and, now that we have the guards on the car, it would seem that something was missing if they weren't there. With a little effort to get them aligned they fit very well.

I found the instructions a bit lacking and put together installation instructions on how we installed them with pictures and the tools needed. If you think they would be of help just send us an e-mail at richsclassiccorvettes@***.net and I'd be happy to send them to you.

Rich
Old 05-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

I was wondering, has anyone bought and installed them recently if so, would you mind commenting on your installation experience and saying whether you were satisfied with the end product?
Completely satisfied, here. Installation would've had to have been velcro to be any easier. Best spent $300 there is considering the damage they've prevented. One must go either the Apsis Guards or the Cleartastic route if they've any hope of saving themselves the expense of repainting since the sand thrown against the bottom sides will destroy any painted finish fast.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for all the positive and negative input on the front Splash Guards Apsis makes for the Z06.

I decided I am going to give them a try. They are expensive but I have to agree they'll be worth it to me if they prevent the paint chips. I accept the fact that chips are an expected result of driving a car. This is my second C6 and what I can't accept is how quickly and how completely road rash ruins the paint. After 30K miles the road rash paint damage on my silver 2005, particularly the rocker panels behind the front and rear tires, the leading lower edge of the doors, the leading lower edge of the rear quarter panels (door to quarter panel seam), and the front bumper was far worse than any other car I've owned. I don't want to watch this happen to my Z06.

In addition to its performance, I really like the looks of my Z06 but the thought of screwing up the finish of my car one chip at a time really eats at me. If the Splash Guards prevent the damage to the rear brake ducts I'll be satisfied. Thanks again for all the excellent feedback.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 AM
mjslouz06
Racer

I think the splash guards while a tad expensive do what they claim. My biggest issue with APSIS is their customer service attitude and obvious price gouging. On my splash guards which I put on my car in Sept last year the gasket is already splitting at one end. I emailed Jersey asking if he could replace. He told me to glue it. I said that was the cheap way out and I'd rather do it right. I ended up paying 10 bucks for a new gasket which probably cost him .50 and a couple of bucks to ship.

In contract RPI has never charged me for anything. Example I bought their alternator cover and didn't understand that I could not drive with it on the car. It's more of a show piece only as the alternator really heats up. Because I did drive with it on my paint started to bubble. Josh offered to fix for free if I sent back to him even though it was my fault it got ruined. That's going to cost him way more than the gasket that Jersey made me pay for. Hence I will probably never buy from APSIS again and will definitely buy everything I can from Josh.

In fact I have an APSIS ZR1 spoiler with the no drill option sitting at home. I can't decide if I should mount it or sell it and buy RPI's ZR1 spoiler instead. Some guy a while back had fitment issues with his APSIS and the tape didn't work. I'm paranoid I'll have the same issue. Thinking maybe I should just suck it up and buy the RPI one and drill.

Anyway... that's my APSIS vs. RPI story. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I would rather see a clear bra on the rockes and rear quarters than ruin the beautiful lines of the Corvette. JMHO
Old 05-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Instructions were perfectly clear to me. I don't know what else you could want in them. Install lower screw loosely. Position it flush, install top screw. Then tighten bottom screw. I put in 1 extra screw in the middle just to be safe.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
slingshot60
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Instructions were perfectly clear to me. I don't know what else you could want in them. Install lower screw loosely. Position it flush, install top screw. Then tighten bottom screw. I put in 1 extra screw in the middle just to be safe.
Bingo! I installed mine @ 2500 miles (and already had a few chips on the rear fenders). Now with 18k miles the fenders and scoops look great--no new chips. Remember--I drive in Texas where we only have two seasons... winter and road construction!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had mine on for a while and a couple observations are in order. First, I was never thrilled that they are as large as they are. The dwarf the rear "mud flaps" in size, primarily because they cover a lot of the outside of the fender instead of just the inside. Second, as a result of their size, I found them to cause the front end to get a little squirrely at high speeds (like 140+). Took them off to test that theory, and no squirreliness (same road, same day). LG had mentioned in another post the aerodynamic downsides, but I guess I had to experience it for myself. That said, they do protect the rockers nicely, and keep the car cleaner between washings. I think I'm going to remove them for good though, and maybe try to use the front "mud flaps" just on opposite sides since those are much smaller and might do the trick without being air brakes.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Great product, easy to install and they will protect your paint from road chips. Fit and finish matches the factory rear splash guards. Could not be happier with the results I have seen so far. I would recommend getting the rubber seal for the edge that sits against the fenders....
cant add anything to that. nice product and easy install

Clif
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

My experience is positive. The fit was difficult at first until I figured out how to do it. It does exactly what it says and protects the back end from flying debris. Nobody notices them at all. I can't speak to the 140 + mph issue but I haven't had a problem at the West Texas speeds (80 mph speed limit +)
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by spicytuna
I...

For that price, I decided to get all of my chip prone areas covered in Avery Nanofusion. Not only the rear quarters but the bumper, hood, etc.
This is exactly what I did.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 AM
H&R
Instructor

did i read right that they have to be removed for a oil change on Z06 ???
Old 05-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

You read wrong. They are no where near anything that would make you have to remove them for an oil change.

Get notified of new replies

To APSIS Z06 Front Splash Guard Experience

Old 05-08-2011, 10:18 AM
CRG517
Instructor

I have had my Apsis Guards w/ gasket on for about !,000 miles and want to take them off to install some film, where can I get/order that small amount of film, would love to hear more stories/steps of how to cut templates, and finally do you think I will have any problems re-attaching the guards using the same screws and holes or will I lose some grip?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Installed my Splash Guards this evening. I purchased the parts from apsis and went ahead and bought the rubber/vinyl part that is supposed to protect the cars paint. Installation was only a few minutes per side. There was certainly nothing difficult about installing them. The Splash Guards are a good quality piece. The instructions were straight forward, the parts fit nicely, and have a nice finish. Here’s a few other observations:

- You probably already know the Splash Guards are far from inexpensive.
- I can honestly say I’m not crazy about the way they look; they seem to break up some of the clean and simple lines of the Z06.
- I can easily understand them creating turbulence and squirrelly handling at very high speeds; they are one of heavier plastic parts you can hang off your Z06 front quarter panels.
- In spite of a few negatives, if they protect the cars paint I’ll happily use them.

I’ll try and post a few pictures tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone who posted their thoughts and feelings on the parts.

Last edited by hiznhrz; 05-09-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Installed my Splash Guards this evening. I purchased the parts from apsis and went ahead and bought the rubber/vinyl part that is supposed to protect the cars paint. Installation was only a few minutes per side. There was certainly nothing difficult about installing them. The Splash Guards are a good quality piece. The instructions were straight forward, they parts fit nicely, and have a nice finish. Here’s a few other observations:

- You probably already know the Splash Guards are far from inexpensive.
- I can honestly say I’m not crazy about the way they look; they seem to break up some of the clean and simple lines of the Z06.
- I can easily understand them creating turbulence and squirrelly handling at very high speeds; they are one of heavier plastic parts you can hang off your Z06 front quarter panels.
- In spite of a few negatives, if they protect the cars paint I’ll happily use them.

I’ll try and post a few pictures tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone who posted their thoughts and feelings on the parts.
This is what I really don't understand. Why pay all that money and have all those potential negatives when you can spend less money and have NONE of those negatives by simply protecting those areas that are prone to debris strikes with clear paint protection film?

To each his own, I guess.

This is my car on Saturday at Coffee and Cars. Do you see any paint protection film anywhere on it? Nope. You have to really get up close and personal to even know it's there. This is further illustrated by the fact that the black car right next to it has NO paint protection film.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 05-09-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] APSIS Z06 Front Splash Guard Experience