Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A Good Tip about Akrapovic Tips!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:13 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Good Tip about Akrapovic Tips!

Okay, I'd made a mistake when I went for the polished tips in lieu of the Carbon Fiber tips. The polished titanium begins to look ratty pretty quickly, and polishing is somewhat futile; one can see the freshly polished tips turn funky within minutes of starting the car. Yes, it's the nature of titanium to discolor, but there is another reason for the perpetual dirty coating, which I'll touch on in a minute...

I simply refused to spend $1400.00 for another set of tips, so, after months of racking my brain, I finally struck on the mother of all solutions.

I found an awesome powder coating guy in Pearl River who really knows his stuff. He also discovered while drying the pipes with air pressure that a blast of dirt would always spray out from the rear seam of the tips (see picture below). It seems the tips may be hollow with some type of insulation between the rolled titanium?

In any case, this weird phenomena is now a non issue with the powder coating, as it fully sealed the seams on each tip.

I'm really delighted with the results, and the car looks mean as hell.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:36 PM
swosanity
Racer

Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Witt748
Pro

Hey at least you admit you made a mistake, and you found a great way to solve that problem. I think that looks great . If you don't mind could you take some pics from further back? I would like to see what they look like from a distance.

I love my akrapovic, and I can't imagine having smaller tips anymore... and that gives me a reason to shamelessly post a picture of my car with carbon tips. It's so we can compare carbon vs powder coating... yesssss, that's it

Old 05-21-2011, 11:23 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks great..
Old 05-21-2011, 11:24 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Witt748
I can't imagine having smaller tips anymore... and that gives me a reason to shamelessly post a picture of my car with carbon tips. It's so we can compare carbon vs powder coating... yesssss, that's it

Ha, Ha, yes, that's a great reason; your car looks killer!

I'll take it outside for a picture as soon as this freaking rain stops.

Get notified of new replies

To A Good Tip about Akrapovic Tips!

Quick Reply: [Z06] A Good Tip about Akrapovic Tips!