Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Aviad oil pan baffel problem

Old 04-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Aviad oil pan baffel problem

Had my mechanic install an aviad oil pan baffle and the sump insert while the pan was off. The oil pressure drops to zero after about 7 minutes at idle. It appears the oil is not returning to the dry-sump.

Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:05 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

hmm interesting. let us know what the issue is
Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it 7 minutes every time? or just one time? if the oil isnt being returned then its an oil pump or possibly clogged line problem... maybe its a bad oil pressure sensor??
Old 04-17-2010, 07:54 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did the mechanic have experience installing one of these? I read that they can be a bit tricky.

Jason
Old 04-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

WAG: air leak in/around oil pan. Small enough to get air thru - thus no oil pressure, but not for oil to get thru so you see oil.

PM captain454, he had this problem with his ARE install.

G/L
Old 04-17-2010, 08:18 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Oil pressure issues air leak somewhere

I agree that something in the install is not right. I have had mine on for 3/4 year and no issues at all. There a install issues going on here.

ErnieO

Let us know what the test shows but there a air leak somewhere. or a clog.

Last edited by VRedZ06; 04-17-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
is it 7 minutes every time? or just one time? if the oil isnt being returned then its an oil pump or possibly clogged line problem... maybe its a bad oil pressure sensor??
Same repeat for three times. Oil lines were cleaned and no debris in pan. Pump replaced with Katech unit.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmorgan07z06
Did the mechanic have experience installing one of these? I read that they can be a bit tricky.

Jason
Hey Jason. Yes, new install for the mechanic but he is a veteran and knows what he is doing. He was on the phone with Aviad today and everyone is puzzled. I am PO'ed because I planned to run at MSR Houston this weekend and this.

Jim
Old 04-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dreamin
WAG: air leak in/around oil pan. Small enough to get air thru - thus no oil pressure, but not for oil to get thru so you see oil.

PM captain454, he had this problem with his ARE install.

G/L
Oil pressure is good at start (60+ lbs) then drops to nil.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvee
Hey Jason. Yes, new install for the mechanic but he is a veteran and knows what he is doing. He was on the phone with Aviad today and everyone is puzzled. I am PO'ed because I planned to run at MSR Houston this weekend and this.

Jim
Sorry to hear that. I saw your post at 4pm and thought that you must have missed MSR Houston. Maybe you can make it up here for the May run at MSR cresson. The 3.1 is very fun.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

I'm with Dreamin on this one... an air leak would explain everything
Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
I'm with Dreamin on this one... an air leak would explain everything
We replaced the gasket around the pan and used proper sealant. Thanks for the suggestion - will look into it.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmorgan07z06
Sorry to hear that. I saw your post at 4pm and thought that you must have missed MSR Houston. Maybe you can make it up here for the May run at MSR cresson. The 3.1 is very fun.
Yes, big disappointment, the weather is perfect here today 70 to 80 and no rain. Just hope I can resolve this problem before NASA at TWS next weekend.

I am kicking myself now for tackling this install at the last minute. I asked Rick to pencil me in for Cresson next month. What was the name of that resort you suggested to park the wife at?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-18-2010, 06:34 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Yes, big disappointment, the weather is perfect here today 70 to 80 and no rain. Just hope I can resolve this problem before NASA at TWS next weekend.

I am kicking myself now for tackling this install at the last minute. I asked Rick to pencil me in for Cresson next month. What was the name of that resort you suggested to park the wife at?
Well there is the Best Western just across the street which overlooks the track. If you truly want to stay at a resort I hear the ******* Texan in Grapevine is the place to go. It is a 35min drive to the track.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:06 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

Had my mechanic install an aviad oil pan baffle and the sump insert while the pan was off. The oil pressure drops to zero after about 7 minutes at idle. It appears the oil is not returning to the dry-sump.
Any ideas?
Make sure the oil lines from the pan to the dry sump tank are not reversed. If the line that supplies the pump intake side of the oil pan is accidentally connected to the return side of the of the dry sump tank you will have oil pressure at idle for a few minutes from the residual oil that drains back to the pan through the scavenge line that is connected to the wrong port on the dry sump tank when the engine is not running. Once the residual oil in the pan is depleted you are sucking air through the supply line which is connected to the wrong port. If the lines are correct you have an air leak in the gasket that seals the pan to the pump. Not uncommon. The machined edges on the stock pan are very sharp and can nick the sealing o-rings on the pan gasket. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:49 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by wstaab
Make sure the oil lines from the pan to the dry sump tank are not reversed. If the line that supplies the pump intake side of the oil pan is accidentally connected to the return side of the of the dry sump tank you will have oil pressure at idle for a few minutes from the residual oil that drains back to the pan through the scavenge line that is connected to the wrong port on the dry sump tank when the engine is not running. Once the residual oil in the pan is depleted you are sucking air through the supply line which is connected to the wrong port. If the lines are correct you have an air leak in the gasket that seals the pan to the pump. Not uncommon. The machined edges on the stock pan are very sharp and can nick the sealing o-rings on the pan gasket. Good luck.

Sometimes the obvious just passes us by. The line switch is a great suggestion. Didn't even think to do that. Keep it simple stupid. First thing to check is the lines. (Just like your electronics at home, first thing is do you have power to the box and is it on.
ErnieO
Old 04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wstaab
The oil lines are not crossed. I looked under the car and compared to another Z06 in the shop. The oil pan gasket is new. The problem appears to be cavitation at the pump, leading to no oil being returned to the tank. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

WHAT FIXED IT?

Get notified of new replies

To Aviad oil pan baffel problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Aviad oil pan baffel problem