Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Jason, Katech Valve covers, Coil relocation wiring cover up

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Default Jason, Katech Valve covers, Coil relocation wiring cover up

Jason,

Got your 'Inside Katech, Issue 11 today. Saw the picture of Camaro with LS3 upgrade and thought to myself, the valve covers looked nice, but the exposed coil wire harnesses and fuel rails left something to be desired, Covers.

Here's what I did to clean up my engine compartments look with Katech Carbon fiber valve.

Started with this as base.

Next came using the old valve as hard surface to tie things together.

Add the cardboard to valve cover with masking tape. Paint it black to see if it might work, and then produce fiberglass piece of it to work with to come up with final shape, pickup some stainless Corvette lettering to see how that might add a little pop to covers. Then using bondo come up with final fuel rail cover shape to make a part mold off off. You can see we are trying to make the Fuel Rail covers mounting points look like the ones on the Valve Covers to try and tie the two together.

Made a mold, pulled parts off it. Cleaned up the shape on them.
To try and make mounting points look like those on the valve covers, we pulled molds off the valve covers mount points to make 4 pieces to resemble the anodized washers molded in to them.

So now I have 8 ugly coils sticking out, but the fuel rails, injector and coil wiring are hid.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:21 PM
james2292
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice work I like it !!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:52 PM
busaetr
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, now paint the intake to match!!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:52 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Wow!

VERY NICE!!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks amazing, you definatly have some skills. You need to start selling them!!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

Nicely done
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice craftsmanship! I'm very impressed!!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dsddcd
That looks amazing, you definatly have some skills. You need to start selling them!!
I'm not the one with the real skill that it took to do this. I'm the one who came up with the design and then communicate it to the hands you see in the pictures. Those hands did all the work.

He has the capability to transmit to his hands what he sees in most cases, are if you can with verbal communications build that picture in his mind he can do it.

He's the one in below picture. He was having a hard time understanding how to get the C6 style side vent going until I went to hobby shop and got some clay to show him what I wanted and it was OK to work form fender well opening to fair it in. It helped to give him a copy of last rendering of car to look at too...LOL

Then later on he couldn't believe he has one of the C1 vent spears 1/8" inch to high. First he measured it with tape measure and then still couldn't believe it, so he went or a set of calipers to verify it was in fact 1/8" of....

Picture he was working too, and final product.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I seriously admire your craftsmanship and enthusiasm, but adding covers to anything is not my style. If I were that concerned about coil connectors I would lengthen the wires and hide them away. For the fuel rails I would use our upcoming billet rails and AN line kit.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I seriously admire your craftsmanship and enthusiasm, but adding covers to anything is not my style. If I were that concerned about coil connectors I would lengthen the wires and hide them away. For the fuel rails I would use our upcoming billet rails and AN line kit.
Agreed. Now please tell me you are working on a kit to relocate the coils out of sight.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by hedgehead
Agreed. Now please tell me you are working on a kit to relocate the coils out of sight.
Nope. I say if it serves a function on the engine show it off. Remember, it's a machine.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Jason,

Most everyone hides the coils and wires on my end of Corvette generations when doing a Restomod.

I did what I did to hide the fuel rails and coil wiring to clean up the engine compartment, but instead of hiding the coils, use them as ascents for a try at adding a little perormance look to engine instead of a full show look.

I'm not a Cookie Cutter follow the rest type.

Problem with my using Katech billet rails and AN line kit is "Upcoming". I had to pull the trigger now...LOL

But there still may be a bright spot in the "Upcoming" as my daily driver needs work on it's engine compartment to finish it up.

Maybe a set of Katect metal valve covers, coil relocation kit with your upcoming billet fuel rails and AN fitting kit would look good on it.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Gary
Oops, with Jason, of course. I guess I have always been a "Go" guy rather than a "Show" guy also. However, I can really appreciate the results of the "Show" gang.

Poorhousenext,
Very, very nice job.

Last edited by 40YRW8; 08-03-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
4MuscleMachines
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hidden coils and wires look nice, but exposed like Katech's kit is even nicer
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP, nice job on creating something unique and different. I have no doubt there will be many out there who would consider this addition if pricing and different material options were available. The other option is to keep them as a one off and a unique piece that sets the car apart from all others. It is creative thinking like this that generates all the cool accessories people buy each and every day for the purpose of making their cars different.... Cool design and nice job....

Get notified of new replies

To Jason, Katech Valve covers, Coil relocation wiring cover up

Quick Reply: [Z06] Jason, Katech Valve covers, Coil relocation wiring cover up