Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 vs Z07 Thoughts after first few weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hiznhrz
I take my hat off to those of you who have a Z07. With all due respect there are several incremental upgrades to the Z07 but it’s not the ones being discussed on this thread that make it feel like a different car. The combination of these incremental upgrades makes a difference but it’s the insertion of one huge technological improvement that makes the Z07 superior to my Z06.

The Magnetic Ride Control is the worlds fastest reacting suspension system resulting in real-time, continuous variable control of vehicle damping. By design the driver feels a greater sense of security with smooth, well controlled ride motions, and more precise and responsive handling, particularly on uneven surfaces and during challenging maneuvers. The system helps maximizes the amount of tire patch in contact with the road. It isolates and smoothes the actions of each tire, resulting in less bouncing, vibration and noise. At all speeds, on all road surfaces and twisting variations, the system integrates with ABS and traction control to keep the vehicle balanced and poised.

For what it's worth, I have wheels and tires from a 2011 ZR1 on my 2006 Z06. They are Michelin ZPs and they do make a huge difference in every perceptible ride and handling category.
magnetic ride is like launch control, taking fun and driver factor from the car equation. This is not what car like Z06 should be about.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petermj
with the cost of Z07 approaching ZR1 and ZR1 having more power and all the stuff Z07 comes with, what is exactly the point of buying Z07? If handling is the problem, swapping tires is considerably cheaper than buying Z07.
About a 140+ HP!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BigMike NY
About a 140+ HP!
can't argue with someone who has a twin car
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About a 140+ HP!
A Z07 has 140hp more than a stock Z06?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Tires make a big difference. Put the Michelin PS2's on the Z06(as thousands have done) and it will feel much more secure in the twisties and straight line acceleration and also braking. Even the runner up Bridgestone's will make the OE Goodyear's seem like dog poopie.

I get the feeling you are dissing the Z06 when you should be dissing the Goodyear tires that are OE on the base Z06.
I was in no way dissing the Z06. My next purchase will be the Z06 equivalent of the upcoming C7. I was simply comparing a stock Z06 with a Z07. I love the Z06, sorry if it came off otherwise. Up until I drove the Z07, the best performing car I have owned was the Z06, so when I did drive the Z07, I was not used to the better performance and thought I would share what I felt

Originally Posted by rfopt
Garret SNA,

Does the Z07 Z06 give the impression of having a little less body roll and being sharper when twitching the steering wheel in general.
Yes, it feels a lot tighter, responsive and "as-one" with the pavement. Also, the steering wheel in general takes a lot more effort to move. The Z06's steering wheel can be turned with ease, while the Z07 takes a little elbow grease It makes the car just feel a little more racy.

Originally Posted by PhysiPhile
OP - Do you know the increase in lateral g's you were able to obtain and still feel comfortable when going from the Z06 to the Z07?
I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly, but I would say the Z07 feels about the same as the Z06 when the Z07 has a .1g higher lateral G difference.

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
So why not pit better pads (carbotech), better tires, and better suspension in a z06... For under 5-6k! Then would this car would be a better driver compared to the z07?

Or are we comparing stock to stock, bc if so, you cannot swap tires on an oem z06.

The comparisons can go on and on, but we need to compare apples to apples.

Just my thoughts, but I agree, the z07 is leaps and bounds compared to a z06. But, with the aftermarket, a z06 can be made to compete with those of the z07/zr1. It's just $$$.
Aj
You can definitely mod a Z06 with less money than a Z07 costs and make it faster. I personally just preferred the Z07 opposed to dumping a bunch of money in my Z06.

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Great review however I must ask a few questions. Are you driving the ZO6 on its' OEM Goodyears and do you really street drive your Z's that hard that the ZO7 option was required or was it "I have to have it purchase?. I would love a ZO7 or ZR1 but only looking at either as a collector car or track warrior. The standard ZO6, FOR THE STREET, is more street Vette than anyone needs. Better tires and Bilsteins will enhance the stock ZO6 experience.
Yes, my Z06 is on it's OEM goodyears. And no, my Z06 is plenty fast, and performs more than I need for street driving. I guess it is a combination of "have to have it" and occasionally I may get in situations where I may use the excess performance, but rarely if ever. I plan to track the Z07 a bit as well.

with the cost of Z07 approaching ZR1 and ZR1 having more power and all the stuff Z07 comes with, what is exactly the point of buying Z07? If handling is the problem, swapping tires is considerably cheaper than buying Z07.
Well personally, I am not a fan of the ZR1 due to the 6.2 L and non natural aspiration. Also it has some excess weight. And to top it off I simply couldn't afford the ZR1 even if I wanted it. I thought the Z07 was a great fit for me to hold me over until the C7 Z06 equivalent comes out in years to come.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I owned a several Z's prior including an o8Z. I recently after much thought on modding a C6Z decided on a 2011 Zo7. I agree w/ thr OP. It is a BIG difference from my o8Z. It is better in everyway as far as handling and braking. Tires, suspension, and brakes were all lacking on the C6z so why would anyone debate that it is better. Most reviews always pointed out the need for suspension tuning and better tires. The Zo7 although late is the answer. The best Z I've owned so far.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u

Oooops, I meant ZR1 over a ZO7...

Petermj, what year is your Z?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If the Z07 was available, and deeply discounted when I bought my 09', I'd have one now.

So far, I've replaced the tires with BS's and the shocks with DRM Bilsteins, Those two mods alone dramatically alter how the car behaves, whether cruising around or pushing it hard.

The brakes are good enough for me as is, but I might get the bug to later upgrade to some better and lighter steel brakes.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Oooops, I meant ZR1 over a ZO7...

Petermj, what year is your Z?
09, same year as my DD base.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:26 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Garrett SNA
Well personally, I am not a fan of the ZR1 due to the 6.2 L and non natural aspiration. Also it has some excess weight. And to top it off I simply couldn't afford the ZR1 even if I wanted it. I thought the Z07 was a great fit for me to hold me over until the C7 Z06 equivalent comes out in years to come.
do you have both Z's or did you just keep the newer one? Slightly used ZR1 can be had for about 90, how much did your Z cost? Weight wise, Z07 has to be heavier than standard Z06 due to larger brakes and wheels and tires alone. Not sure if the CF panels compensate for these things...LOL at that hold over...
Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

do you have both Z's or did you just keep the newer one? Slightly used ZR1 can be had for about 90, how much did your Z cost? Weight wise, Z07 has to be heavier than standard Z06 due to larger brakes and wheels and tires alone. Not sure if the CF panels compensate for these things...LOL at that hold over...
I have both still. I picked up my Z06 for 45 a year ago, and my Z07 for 68.5. I saw a few Zr1's for 90. It just wasn't for me.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

magnetic ride is like launch control, taking fun and driver factor from the car equation. This is not what car like Z06 should be about.
A while ago I would have agreed with you, but no more. I'll take whatever technology is available to make a car handle better and for me to drive the car closer to its limits. Bring on the double clutch transmission with superquick shifts and--dare I say it--all wheel drive.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:25 PM
TB427Z06
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 182 Posts

Great write up, couldn't agree more! The Z07 equipped z06 is worth every penny for the exactly the reasons you listed. For me it's the F-55 suspension and the Michelin tires that are the standout reasons this car is way better than my old 09 2LZ. The carbon pieces do look nice and I've decided to add the oem sideskirts and oem Carbon Edition hood. The front splitter is a non starter for me becuse of my steep driveway.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TB427Z06
Great write up, couldn't agree more! The Z07 equipped z06 is worth every penny for the exactly the reasons you listed. For me it's the F-55 suspension and the Michelin tires that are the standout reasons this car is way better than my old 09 2LZ. The carbon pieces do look nice and I've decided to add the oem sideskirts and oem Carbon Edition hood. The front splitter is a non starter for me becuse of my steep driveway.
And yes, my front splitter clears my driveway by I kid you not 1 centimeter. Scares me every time.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I had a 2Lz Z06 for about year and recently purchased a 3LZ Z07.

Handling / Tires: I am used to taking onramps and other turns I am very familiar with in my Z06 at certain speeds. Recently driving the Z07 makes me realize how vastly superior the handling on the Z07 really is. In the Z06 I can feel the car start hitting it's peak and am hesitant to push it anymore. When taking the same turns in the Z07, I am able to push it significantly harder. The sport mode is fantastic but the touring mode is also awesome. There are certain bumps and bad parts of the road around my hometown which I have to slow down for. When in the touring mode, it feels more like a luxury sedan gliding over the bumps opposed to me being used to lifting my a$$ up in anticipation for the rough road. Accelerating out of turns is far superior in the Z07 due to the sticker / wider tires and suspension. The car grips much better and really uses the power more efficiently.

Braking: There really is a dramatic difference. The Z07 simply gives you more confidence in stopping the vehicle. The brakes are just straight godly. I feel safer in the Z07 than I thought imaginable. It stops in situations with ease where the Z06 may struggle to come to a halt in time.

Carbon fiber roof, front splitter, side skirts, Zr1 wheels / Spoiler: When lined up next to the Z06, the Z07 just looks lower, meaner, and wider. Alone with the black roof, black side skirts, black splitter, and comp gray Zr1 wheels, it just gives it a much sportier look.

Off topic 2LZ vs 3LZ: I am not sure if the leather, stitching, etc in the 3LZ is worth the price difference, but it does give you a more luxurious feeling

Overall: I switch between these two cars just about daily, and it is almost dangerous to get comfortable in the Z07 and then jump in the Z06. You expect the Z06 to perform as the Z07 does and it simply cannot. The Z06 just seems to be a have a lot looser feel while the Z07 feels like it is just attached to the pavement. Between the handling, braking and tires, the Z07 really is able to use a lot more of the 505hp in all situations. For the price, IDK if the Z07 is worth THAT much more, due to price being subjective. It is hard to put a price tag on sheer performance. But for me in my financial situation, I would not change my decision in a second. The Z07 is a straight beast.
I frequently take onramps at 1.19G and find myself wishing I had a bit more grip.

I also find myself frequently braking down from 120mph and wishing I had a bit more brake capability. (certainly not at legal speeds, because the stock Z06 brakes are strong enough to encourage wheel lock.)

All on the street.

Time for a Z07.

OR... maybe I could just put race tires on, tune my shocks for them and get 99% of the difference.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GMuffley
A while ago I would have agreed with you, but no more. I'll take whatever technology is available to make a car handle better and for me to drive the car closer to its limits. Bring on the double clutch transmission with superquick shifts and--dare I say it--all wheel drive.
too bad that only until while ago. I actually resent all driver aids that cars are loaded with these d days. Like with anything else, the lowest driving skill level is the common denominator applied to vette owners. Driving is not about acquiring skills anymore, it is about utilizing technologies and this sucks. This is why I truly hate ZHZ vette edition.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs Z07 Thoughts after first few weeks...

Old 08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I had a 2Lz Z06 for about year and recently purchased a 3LZ Z07.

Handling / Tires: I am used to taking onramps and other turns I am very familiar with in my Z06 at certain speeds. Recently driving the Z07 makes me realize how vastly superior the handling on the Z07 really is. In the Z06 I can feel the car start hitting it's peak and am hesitant to push it anymore. When taking the same turns in the Z07, I am able to push it significantly harder. The sport mode is fantastic but the touring mode is also awesome. There are certain bumps and bad parts of the road around my hometown which I have to slow down for. When in the touring mode, it feels more like a luxury sedan gliding over the bumps opposed to me being used to lifting my a$$ up in anticipation for the rough road. Accelerating out of turns is far superior in the Z07 due to the sticker / wider tires and suspension. The car grips much better and really uses the power more efficiently.

Braking: There really is a dramatic difference. The Z07 simply gives you more confidence in stopping the vehicle. The brakes are just straight godly. I feel safer in the Z07 than I thought imaginable. It stops in situations with ease where the Z06 may struggle to come to a halt in time.

Carbon fiber roof, front splitter, side skirts, Zr1 wheels / Spoiler: When lined up next to the Z06, the Z07 just looks lower, meaner, and wider. Alone with the black roof, black side skirts, black splitter, and comp gray Zr1 wheels, it just gives it a much sportier look.

Off topic 2LZ vs 3LZ: I am not sure if the leather, stitching, etc in the 3LZ is worth the price difference, but it does give you a more luxurious feeling

Overall: I switch between these two cars just about daily, and it is almost dangerous to get comfortable in the Z07 and then jump in the Z06. You expect the Z06 to perform as the Z07 does and it simply cannot. The Z06 just seems to be a have a lot looser feel while the Z07 feels like it is just attached to the pavement. Between the handling, braking and tires, the Z07 really is able to use a lot more of the 505hp in all situations. For the price, IDK if the Z07 is worth THAT much more, due to price being subjective. It is hard to put a price tag on sheer performance. But for me in my financial situation, I would not change my decision in a second. The Z07 is a straight beast.
Which car feels faster in terms of acceleration?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Z07 Ed
And just the opposite if its wet.
vettes get driven in the rain?!!?!??!!?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Which car feels faster in terms of acceleration?
This is not a valid question due to launch control on the Z07. Launch control takes the driver out of acceleration equation and makes any results suspect

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vs Z07 Thoughts after first few weeks...