Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 vs Z07 Thoughts after first few weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
vettes get driven in the rain?!!?!??!!?
He most likely meant wet pavement due to sprinklers. I would stop and wipe the car off after any contact with water for sure.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:36 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
too bad that only until while ago. I actually resent all driver aids that cars are loaded with these d days. Like with anything else, the lowest driving skill level is the common denominator applied to vette owners. Driving is not about acquiring skills anymore, it is about utilizing technologies and this sucks. This is why I truly hate ZHZ vette edition.
Consider this. The GTR is overweight and relatively underpowered, but look at the results they obtain with AWD and the software programs. They really crammed 10 lbs. of sh-t in a 5 lb. bag.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GMuffley
Consider this. The GTR is overweight and relatively underpowered, but look at the results they obtain with AWD and the software programs. They really crammed 10 lbs. of sh-t in a 5 lb. bag.
Honestly, I refuse to drive a laptop with wheels attached to it, especially one that has been preprogrammed and without even a chance for a manual tranny. Keep the vette brutal, the viper style, not the japanese style, they do it all the time, making sure to get in a hurry to nowhere. And this car is beyond fugly.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Honestly, I refuse to drive a laptop with wheels attached to it...
Are you the same kind of guy that would go to a race track and pull the ABS fuse in his new Corvette because he thinks he can out-threshold-brake the 4-channel system?

jas
Old 08-06-2011, 01:25 PM
z06STILLER
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HyperX
it's 90% tires, 8% brakes and 2% everything else. Get those Michelin's on your Z06, and you will have a feel of Z07. However, GM marketing may disagree.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:56 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
Are you the same kind of guy that would go to a race track and pull the ABS fuse in his new Corvette because he thinks he can out-threshold-brake the 4-channel system?

jas
I am that kind of a guy that likes to test my own abilities, not improvements in software And no, I would not disable my ABS since it is a safety item and is already there. But I will not buy a car that does the driving for me and thinks for me.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Which car feels faster in terms of acceleration?
Just due to simple traction, I would have the Z07.

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
vettes get driven in the rain?!!?!??!!?
Sprinklers, and I usually try and avoid the sprinklers. It doesn't rain much in southern Ca, especially in the summer.

He most likely meant wet pavement due to sprinklers. I would stop and wipe the car off after any contact with water for sure.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Honestly, I refuse to drive a laptop with wheels attached to it, especially one that has been preprogrammed and without even a chance for a manual tranny. Keep the vette brutal, the viper style, not the japanese style, they do it all the time, making sure to get in a hurry to nowhere. And this car is beyond fugly.
I guess the F1 drivers are the ultimate wimps in your mind? Think of the electronic gear changes, traction control and all the software programs those high tech cars require to run. Those drivers could never "man up" and drive a Z.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

I guess the F1 drivers are the ultimate wimps in your mind? Think of the electronic gear changes, traction control and all the software programs those high tech cars require to run. Those drivers could never "man up" and drive a Z.
i am on the street instead of a track and do not compete against other teams but apparently you are.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:21 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

i am on the street instead of a track
Really?

I am that kind of a guy that likes to test my own abilities
So you're the kind of guy that tests his own abilities on the street and not a track?

Huh.

jas
Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thread that has morphed into a macho pissing contest.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:40 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Another thread that has morphed into a macho pissing contest.
You're right--and I am partly responsible.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:02 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
Really?

So you're the kind of guy that tests his own abilities on the street and not a track?

Huh.

jas
Oh gheez, knock yourself out, whichever way and anywhere it may suit you. I enjoy real roads, especially when they have challenging turns and curves, you just keep going around the track. Make sure to shave off at least tenth of a second on each lap
Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who has had both (Z06 with and without Z07)...any difference in the tendancy to tramline? I've noticed in several reviews comparing the base/Z06 to the ZR1 that the ZR1 tramlines worse than the other two, and the only reason I'd think would be the wider front wheel/tire combo.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy
Anyone who has had both (Z06 with and without Z07)...any difference in the tendancy to tramline? I've noticed in several reviews comparing the base/Z06 to the ZR1 that the ZR1 tramlines worse than the other two, and the only reason I'd think would be the wider front wheel/tire combo.
Well I know my Z06, if not on a perfectly flat highway, has only so-so straight-line stability. I would hesitate to take it past 150.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:24 PM
JBZ
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm new here but just wanna say that I think any z is fantastic, I have the z7 n love it!!!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

There is literally no electronic drivers aid. Sure you can argue that the paddle shifters can be considered one. But all it does is tell the car when to shift when the driver requests it. You can't just put it in auto and drive fast like a GTR, PDK's, DSG, etc.

Traction control, launch control has been banned for nearly 10 years.

Adaptive suspension has been banned for about 20 years.

ABS has been banned for quite some time.

Also. The rest of the electronics is to keep the car running due to the complex power unit. True the diff is electronic, but all the changes are made by the driver. There is no automatically adjusting diffs.

Last edited by ttx350z; 07-26-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs Z07 Thoughts after first few weeks...

Old 07-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Tread Wear Numbers

I think you are talking about tread wear, because most tires are unthreaded. Don't place too much stock in those treadwear numbers as these are just assigned by the tire manufacturers; in general they are not based on any scientific testing. I have bought a lot of "R" type tires in my day and I think the tire manufacturer's inclination is to put a very low number on any true high performance tire. That way they set the expectation very early that these tires will need replacement often. With some owners, having tires with a real low treadwear number may even seem cool.

Originally Posted by Z07 Ed
Thread wear on the Cups is 080. That means they will last only about a third of the miles.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Well I know my Z06, if not on a perfectly flat highway, has only so-so straight-line stability. I would hesitate to take it past 150.
13Z with the Mag ride and ZPs no issues above 150
Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Tires make a big difference. Put the Michelin PS2's on the Z06(as thousands have done) and it will feel much more secure in the twisties and straight line acceleration and also braking. Even the runner up Bridgestone's will make the OE Goodyear's seem like dog poopie.

I get the feeling you are dissing the Z06 when you should be dissing the Goodyear tires that are OE on the base Z06.
Yep. I was thinking the same thing. Tires would make all the difference.

Now the brakes are a legitimately priced upgrade to the Z06 stockers.

I'm thinking an upgraded set of shocks, stickier tires and a little tweaking to the suspension can give the Z06 a performance boost that is only marginally lesser than the Z07 package.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vs Z07 Thoughts after first few weeks...