Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Heads up: Check Starter Solenoid Cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:19 PM
NOSZ06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heads up: Check Starter Solenoid Cables

FYI: Symptom slow to start

Checked all connections and found starter solenoid wiring was brittle and/ or cooked from heat. Also the solenoid terminal (threaded) was loose and soon to fall out of the housing.

I do have Kooks ceramic coated headers and all electrical wiring was routed away from header tubes.

Glad I checked and hope you do too!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Just another reason to get under your own car and perform a "preflight" check. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 PM
NA-Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tugged on the cable going to the starter the other day and it seemed a little loose as well. I also have a slow start. I have AR long tubes as well. What did you do to resolve the issue? Did it get rid of the slow start? Thanks for the tip!!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:30 PM
NOSZ06
Pro

Replacing the starter and repairing wires if necessary....
Will update tomorrow after the fun is over
Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 AM
NOSZ06
Pro

Default Up date

The phenolic surround on the solenoid was damaged/cracked. Leading to loose battery cable connection. Electrical wiring was heat damaged however salvageable and repaired with the addition of high temp sleeve shielding.

I believe heat from headers are the cause?

Pics from the i phone were
Old 08-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Woodytick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how slow is your car cranking? is it extremely slow & only making a few cranks before it seems like the battery is dead? the reason i ask is because mine is doing similar things as yours. it will only crank over a few times then it acts like the battery is dead. i know its not the battery cause i tried 2 different ones. i will have mine up in the air tonight to check the things you spoke of as well as replace the starter if need be. i have longtubes on it but no idea of what kind, but either way, there is no heat shield between them & the starter & wires & its extremely hot.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 PM
NOSZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Woodytick
how slow is your car cranking? is it extremely slow & only making a few cranks before it seems like the battery is dead? the reason i ask is because mine is doing similar things as yours. it will only crank over a few times then it acts like the battery is dead. i know its not the battery cause i tried 2 different ones. i will have mine up in the air tonight to check the things you spoke of as well as replace the starter if need be. i have longtubes on it but no idea of what kind, but either way, there is no heat shield between them & the starter & wires & its extremely hot.
These were my symptoms too!

Get notified of new replies

To Heads up: Check Starter Solenoid Cables

Quick Reply: [Z06] Heads up: Check Starter Solenoid Cables