Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Rattle under dash - Advice Please

Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 PM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle under dash - Advice Please

I have this buzzing sound\rattle that is coming from underneath (I think) the passenger side dash... It happens when I am traveling over 70... Any ideas...?

(08' Z06)
Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've stopped a multitude of rattles, buzzes, and chirps by dousing them down with this stuff.

I have the Pfadt solid motor and tranny mounts which send more vibration into the intrerior, but mine remains virtually silent, by using this silicone spray.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take into account that I don't own a 'vette, so if this is stupid due to a technical detail, please excuse it, but glovebox? The one on my WS6 rattled until I loved on it.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 AM
NOSZ06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cowling

I had a buzzing noise between 65 and 90 mph. It sounded like it was behind the middle A/C vents. However it was the rubber seal at the lower windshield area on the cowl. I used 3/M black electrical tape and
ran a piece along the entire width mating the glass and cowl rubber seal. This killed my noise.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 AM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NOSZ06
I had a buzzing noise between 65 and 90 mph. It sounded like it was behind the middle A/C vents. However it was the rubber seal at the lower windshield area on the cowl. I used 3/M black electrical tape and
ran a piece along the entire width mating the glass and cowl rubber seal. This killed my noise.
Yeah, that is where it is coming from... I know that it is not the glove box... What is a cowl...?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by RoatanMan
Yeah, that is where it is coming from... I know that it is not the glove box... What is a cowl...?

DH
Old 04-26-2010, 01:54 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Isn't there a bulliten on the "O" ring from the dry sump oil ....it is on the passenger side ....I seem to remember that there is a thread on this and that is one of the causes of the leaf like sound from the passenger side.....
Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
Isn't there a bulliten on the "O" ring from the dry sump oil ....it is on the passenger side ....I seem to remember that there is a thread on this and that is one of the causes of the leaf like sound from the passenger side.....
I had that problem. The rattle was noticeable at low speeds. He said it was above 70 MPH. Probably worth a dealer visit.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
Isn't there a bulliten on the "O" ring from the dry sump oil...it is on the passenger side...I seem to remember that there is a thread on this and that is one of the causes of the leaf like sound from the passenger side...

Aside from the OP claiming this happens at higher speeds as opposed to lower speeds claimed for the o-ring issue, that was my first thought also.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I am noticing a rattle at moderate to aggressive throttle tip in. It is in the center to passenger side of the dash..... Not in my glovebox either. Could this be the O-ring??
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
LOSNSUX
Racer

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
I am noticing a rattle at moderate to aggressive throttle tip in. It is in the center to passenger side of the dash..... Not in my glovebox either. Could this be the O-ring??
Sounds like it could be; have the dealer check it out. As far as the original poster, I thought that's what it might be for his were it now for the description as a "buzz" sound.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LOSNSUX
Sounds like it could be; have the dealer check it out. As far as the original poster, I thought that's what it might be for his were it now for the description as a "buzz" sound.
Exactly... It sounds like a Buzzing sound that at times get louder then softer... It happens about 75% of the time... It is really bothersome...

What Dry-sump O-Ring should I have the dealer look at... Because you know that they are going to say, "I don't see anything wrong".
Old 04-26-2010, 03:58 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Exactly... It sounds like a Buzzing sound that at times get louder then softer... It happens about 75% of the time... It is really bothersome...

What Dry-sump O-Ring should I have the dealer look at... Because you know that they are going to say, "I don't see anything wrong".
There was a TSB issued for the "O" ring problem.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Have you tried pushing on the dash to see if it stops or alters the sound ......

DH
Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 PM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Have you tried pushing on the dash to see if it stops or alters the sound ......

DH
Yes... I have pounded on the dash many times...

What is the TSB number...?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, I can tell you that I had the exact same problem. Mine was the shroud in the engine compartment that was not attached to the body correctly or came loose. For more detail pm me and I will get you the service writer at Rudolph Chevrolet in El Paso that figured it out.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Yes... I have pounded on the dash many times...

What is the TSB number...?
I don't have it handy but do a forum search. It has been listed many times.

Get notified of new replies

To Rattle under dash - Advice Please

Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

FINALLY!!! Someone else with this noise!!!! my 2008 Z06 makes the buzzing noise center dash area at speeds above 80mph. Someone try this.... get it up to speed and turn off your recirculation button on your climate control to see if it reduces it or makes it go away. MINE DOES!!! Now a friend reach up through the glove box and I sware him pushing on the dash area made it louder. It appears to be worse on windy days aswell and happens at lower speeds when cold out. I took out the cabin filter and didnt change anything.

I regretfully have a slight glove box rattle aswell.
Someone post the TSB # for the O-ring if they can though i dont feel thats going to be my concern but could be the thumping noise on hard accleration?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

I'm tellin you guys, most rattles and squeeks are caused by 2 parts rubbing against each other. A shot of lube will silence them.
My interior was a virtual symphony of squeeks, rattles buzzes, and chirps, it was really annoying.
Then I doused down every crack and crevice in the dash, door panels, trim etc. and now my interior is totaly silent.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 04-26-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I have this buzzing sound\rattle that is coming from underneath (I think) the passenger side dash... It happens when I am traveling over 70... Any ideas...?

(08' Z06)
Ya - I installed a serious audio system. I keep it cranked and I don't hear anything buzzing or rattling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Rattle under dash - Advice Please