Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Info from current C6Z owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Turbo_6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Info from current C6Z owners

I've been wanting a C6 Z06 since 2006 when they came out but circumstances didn't allow for it. I've finally gotten the approval of the boss at home and have been aggressively shopping for the right car. The reason I'm posting is basically wanting folks opinions on overall driving experience going from a base C6 to the Z06. My local dealership only had a base C6 6spd for me to drive and I've never driven or ridden in a C6Z so wanted opinions from the more experienced folks here. I really enjoyed the base vette. It had the magnetic ride option like that of the ZR1 which was nice. The car shifted nicely, had great power over 3500rpm and handled well even with the standard wheels/tires/brakes. The one other thing I did like was the plexiglass roof and the ability to open the targa top but I want the power of the Z over the sunlight hitting the top of my head. Any general driving experiences that you can share going from one to the other for someone new to the corvette scene? I've had fast cars before, Buick GN 11.0's in 1/4, F-body's making 500rwhp solid roller 383, etc, but wanted to hear objective and subjective opinions from the owners. Thanks.

BTW, I'm trying to talk the wife into the Z07 package (unsuccessful thus far!).
Old 08-30-2011, 12:33 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I went from an 05 coupe to an 07 Z. I was sold on that first test drive! I couldn't sign the papers fast enough! The power and the aggressive widebody and steamroller back tires and the whiplash looks from onlookers is icing on the cake. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:36 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Add a mild to wild switch and ZR1 aero parts for even more fun!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:37 AM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Go for the Z06 and you'll never look back! If you've owned performance cars before don't be fooled by the Z06 suspension versus the F55....my wife had an '07 coupe with the F55 and the Z06 doesn't really ride much different than the F55 in the sport mode. I ordered an '11 Z06 and was a little afraid of the suspension since a lot of people complain about the ride, however, I've owned nothing but performance cars for the last 35+ years and the Z06 suspension feels "just right" to me but then I like a solid, firm feel to a car so that I know what's going on it with and how to interpret the roadway. IMHO, the Z06 ride is just fine.....don't get me wrong though, if the '11 had an F55 option without 19/20" wheels, I would have ordered it.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:39 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

This topic has actually been covered several times. You really need to drive the Z. There is no comparison to the base C6 other than the interior. Everything about the car's handling is much, much better. And the power is intoxicating. I drove a 2006 Z51 coupe for over 2 years, but one test drive in the Z06 and I couldn't sign the papers fast enough.

Good luck in the search. But definitely find one to take for a spin.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 AM
philomath
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ronnie??!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 AM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Gotta drive one, i did this Sunday and im hooked now
Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 AM
seung012
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a E60 M5..... modded and fast... I took one test drive of the z06... game over... M5 was de-modded so fast.... my mechanics ravaged her back to stock in 1 day.. traded it in next day and purchased my 2009 C6 Z06... never been happier... Screw German engineering!!! This thing beats certain lambos, Ferraris, and just about anything else... once I supercharge it (3 weeks), their are limited amount of cars that can even come close to it!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by rpinieck
I've been wanting a C6 Z06 since 2006 when they came out but circumstances didn't allow for it. I've finally gotten the approval of the boss at home and have been aggressively shopping for the right car. The reason I'm posting is basically wanting folks opinions on overall driving experience going from a base C6 to the Z06. My local dealership only had a base C6 6spd for me to drive and I've never driven or ridden in a C6Z so wanted opinions from the more experienced folks here. I really enjoyed the base vette. It had the magnetic ride option like that of the ZR1 which was nice. The car shifted nicely, had great power over 3500rpm and handled well even with the standard wheels/tires/brakes. The one other thing I did like was the plexiglass roof and the ability to open the targa top but I want the power of the Z over the sunlight hitting the top of my head. Any general driving experiences that you can share going from one to the other for someone new to the corvette scene? I've had fast cars before, Buick GN 11.0's in 1/4, F-body's making 500rwhp solid roller 383, etc, but wanted to hear objective and subjective opinions from the owners. Thanks.

BTW, I'm trying to talk the wife into the Z07 package (unsuccessful thus far!).
Like you, I've had fast cars ie; mustangs, trans ams and camaros. This year I got rid of my C5Z and got a C6Z. I have never drove a base C6 but cant imagine it compares to the Z. I drove the C6Z (stock) before buying and could tell you that my C5Z which was supercharged/with heads & cam would have had a hard time beating it. My buds say that it shouldnt have been a problem because of what it was putting out but sometimes it works out different in real life. The C6Z is a great bang for the buck and a thrill to drive. If you're a performance guy, go 4 da gusto---DA ZEE
Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

They really do drive a lot different. Mine is an '09, and I have a friend who has an '09 coupe, manual, Z-51 - as close as you could get in a narrow-body car. His car is really nice - but it's no Z. The Z is torquier, handles more precisely, generates higher g-loading, stops better, etc.

Now, that said, a Grand Sport fixes most of that. If you're thinking of a Z07 you're thinking about new. If you want the clear roof, give serious thought to a Grand Sport coupe, and then put a simple blower kit on it, an A&A or maybe Edelbrock. If I was buying today I think that's what I'd do.

On the gripping hand, the fact that the Z06 has a solid roof makes it much "tighter". none of the typical Vette creaks and rattles. Still, I very much miss my glass roof.

You pays your monies and...

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I actualy never ended up test-driving the Z06 before I bought one, I had only driven a base coupe and a grandsport, both automatics. They were fast but speed is all relative and when you experience the power of the C6Z, you will be in a whole other category of car. It's instantly noticeable, the visceral feel of speed is unquestionable. If it's possible you of course should test drive one. Just know that if you don't, and you buy one sight unseen/driven, you would essentially be making the least riskiest move in the history of human kind.

Since I've driven my Z06 for a couple months and a couple thousand miles, I went back to my local chevy dealership to test drive a grandsport. Let's just say it felt like an economy car. The power, the acceleration, it just wasn't there. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:08 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

My experiences, rode in an '08 vert auto base C6, bought a '11 Z06:

Power: It's insane. It doesn't stop. The harder you press the skinny pedal, the harder the seat presses against your back.

Brakes: Like hitting a wall, but a LOT of modularity there.

Clutch: It's a bit light for my taste.

Shifting: Shifts smooth, but mechanically. A honda or BMW owner would call it "notchy".

Interior: Roughly the same as a Cobalt with different styling. GM dropped the ball. My 2002 Sentra (ie. G20) is way nicer inside.

Exterior: I like it, but it doesn't get any stares or looks. It's just another chevy. Noone has ever complimented it in person except a few people at the gym. I have only seen 3-4 people check it out while on the road in about 3300 miles/since Feb. this year when I bought it.

Sterio: Junk. Deleting it and calling it "hardcore" would have been an intelligent call. You have to keep the bass turned WAY down or the chintzy interior will vibrate around you.

Visibility: VERY good for this kind of vehicle. Surprised!

Ride: VERY tire-pressure sensitive. Stick with factory recommended tire-pressure. Mine came from GM with 35-38# in each tire and it rode like a log-wagon. Aired them down and it rides very nicely for the kind of handling it gives. The G:2 tires hook great on warm days. I can go WOT in 1st gear all the way to red-line hooked solid on clean pavement after I drive around for 20-30 minutes on a 75* or hotter day. They are noisy as hell on concrete, and very quiet on asphalt.

It's a bargain basement supercar, and I love it! The cost was cut on the interior, not the suspension/driveline/body.

My honest opinion? I can't wait for the C7 to come out so I can trade this thing in and have my cake and eat it too with good power AND a nice interior. The interior has become more and more important and the performance less and less so, as I have owned the car. At first I could care less that it was so bad in the car, then I got used to how it felt accelerating/cornering/braking and started to notice the junk interior.

Last edited by BSSN; 08-30-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I went from a Z51 coupe to a Z06. I was considering a Grand Sport but after driving the Z06 there was no question about what I wanted. I would pass on the Z07 unless you take it to the track a lot.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Seems like this question comes up five times a week.

Best advice/best thing for you to do is find one and drive it. You have driven a C6 it looks like. So now get in a Z06 and compare it. Their really not compareable. Two distinctively DIFFERENT cars.

After you drive both the C6 and the Z06, your question will be answered especially if you like performance. The diffence in the two is night/day. (I owned a convertible with man 6 speed and Z51 pkg). In the performance category it's Z06 hands down. Probablly, the best bang for the buck is C6 however, 430 hp in a car that handles/drives like a sports car for under 50k. Mod it and make it faster. Can't beat that. (but no matter how much you spend modding it, it still will not be a Z06)

Next up is Z06 and it hangs with some of the worlds fastest/pricey cars. "Z" model Vettes are by far worthy of ownership. They are the fastest 'factory' Vettes ever produced. (even the 60's big blocks included). They pull more 'G's on corners than most of the worlds most expensive sports cars. They can sprint up to closer of 200 mph. And are quick getting there.

GO DRIVE ONE. You will answer your question.!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
My experiences, rode in an '08 vert auto base C6, bought a '11 Z06:

Power: It's insane. It doesn't stop. The harder you press the skinny pedal, the harder the seat presses against your back.

Brakes: Like hitting a wall, but a LOT of modularity there.

Clutch: It's a bit light for my taste.

Shifting: Shifts smooth, but mechanically. A honda or BMW owner would call it "notchy".

Interior: Roughly the same as a Cobalt with different styling. GM dropped the ball. My 2002 Sentra (ie. G20) is way nicer inside.

Exterior: I like it, but it doesn't get any stares or looks. It's just another chevy. Noone has ever complimented it in person except a few people at the gym. I have only seen 3-4 people check it out while on the road in about 3300 miles/since Feb. this year when I bought it.

Sterio: Junk. Deleting it and calling it "hardcore" would have been an intelligent call. You have to keep the bass turned WAY down or the chintzy interior will vibrate around you.

Visibility: VERY good for this kind of vehicle. Surprised!

Ride: VERY tire-pressure sensitive. Stick with factory recommended tire-pressure. Mine came from GM with 35-38# in each tire and it rode like a log-wagon. Aired them down and it rides very nicely for the kind of handling it gives. The G:2 tires hook great on warm days. I can go WOT in 1st gear all the way to red-line hooked solid on clean pavement after I drive around for 20-30 minutes on a 75* or hotter day. They are noisy as hell on concrete, and very quiet on asphalt.

It's a bargain basement supercar, and I love it! The cost was cut on the interior, not the suspension/driveline/body.

My honest opinion? I can't wait for the C7 to come out so I can trade this thing in and have my cake and eat it too with good power AND a nice interior. The interior has become more and more important and the performance less and less so, as I have owned the car. At first I could care less that it was so bad in the car, then I got used to how it felt accelerating/cornering/braking and started to notice the junk interior.
I agree with most of what you said. If the interior bothers you this much, why not spend a few grand and upgrade it the way you want. DSV does a great job making upgraded interior. In the long run, you would have a better looking interior than the C7 will probable have.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I bought my 2010 Z new and don't find the ride offensive at all!! For a supercar the ride is actually terrific. Just drove my buddies 2009 Porsche Turbo Carbiolet and the ride is harsher and the car definitely feels quite a bit slower than the Z although it really is not-just slightly.

As far as the GS goes, it is NOT a Z06, just one that looks like it. Yes it has the brakes/ tires now and the panels-NOT carbon fiber BTW but besides missing the obvious, LS7, it also does not have the magnesium engine cradle, Aluminum frame, dry sump oiling system etc. Most people are not going to buy a GS and slap on a supercharger for a variety of reasons in MHO.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 AM
2010drive
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It amazes me how many guys are controlled by there wifes

Get notified of new replies

To Info from current C6Z owners

Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wanted the F55 on my Z, but could not justify the price difference. I have only had a brief drive in an F55, which was my first Corvette driving experience. However, my quick impression was that it road a little better than the regular Vettes, but you can really tighten it down in sport mode. The base coupe I bought instead rode very well, but was less sporty than the Z51 at the time. I ended up changing to Z06 springs, Z51 sway bars and Bilstein Sport shocks. When I made the change to the Z06, it rode quite a bit better than my coupe and I don't think a whole lot firmer than my stock base coupe, but much more controlled.

I bought a used 2009 Z with 4800 miles for $54k, about 2 months ago. It is still under full factory warranty and I am debating buying an extended warranty, which can be had for about $3k or less depending upon how many miles and years I want. I couldn't be happier. I love my Z06 because it has way more swagger and street cred than my base coupe at a price similar to a used Grand Sport. Of course, my coupe did not have a manual transmission or the bimodal exhaust. So, I don't know the comparison here. I totaly do not miss my clear targa top. In fact, as I was driving it to be sold I was squinting my eyes and thinking I needed darker sunglasses. Most of the time I do not even wear sunglasses in my Z. I rarely took the targa our as I really wasn't that great to me. I personally think if you really want open air motoring, buy a convertible but to each their own.

All of this said, you can probably get the best buy through waiting a few months to make your purchase. Good luck.

Last edited by widgetsupply; 08-30-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2010drive
It amazes me how many guys are controlled by there wifes
If you are married, you either are controlled by your wife or you control her. Even if you are equal partners, you are controlled because you are making your decisions at least somewhat jointly.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by xcutter
I agree with most of what you said. If the interior bothers you this much, why not spend a few grand and upgrade it the way you want. DSV does a great job making upgraded interior. In the long run, you would have a better looking interior than the C7 will probable have.
Because I'd rather get rid of it and just get something else. 370Z is what I'm looking at in the next 2 years. It will allow me to further my Class III weapon hobbies and buy a house and some land and is WAY nicer than the 'vettes. Nowhere near as fast, but I almost bought one the first go-around, but I told myself "You will never buy a Z06 or Viper or anything if you DONT DO IT NOW!". I was right, and I am glad I did. Check one off the bucket-list: World-class performance car.

If the base C7 is quick and nice, I might do that, instead, provided it's priced at under $60K well optioned. I am going to wait until the C7 comes out and is out for 6 months for the ADM to wear off and people to beat on them a little and see if they are solid.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Info from current C6Z owners