Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2011 Z06 Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 PM
The Darkside
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Z06 Lowering

On my old c5 i was able to adjust the stock lowering bolts about a half inch or so. Ultimately that wasn't enough for me so i put the WCC lowering bolts in which worked good for a while but ended up having problems with them. On the new Z0 i would like to lower it about an inch and a half but am not looking for issues.

Do the stock 2011 Z06's bolts have the ability to be adjusted? if not what lowering bolts are reccommended that wont lose their rubber bushings after a while?

THanks in advance...
Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 AM
qualitycare
Racer

Yes, the C6 has user adjustable lowering bolts. It is actually a very easy self mod. Here is a thread about it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...wering-c6.html
Old 09-01-2011, 02:47 AM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Great info...I had my mechanic do the lowering on my c6, but I will give it a try on my Z06. This site rocks!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:03 PM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

As the others said very easy, I did end cutting one rib off my bushings to get the height where I liked it. Just turning the down only gave me about 3/4 inch.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 PM
The Darkside
Cruising

Awesome... that will be my project this weekend! When you cut the bushings, which is was i ended up doing on my c5, did you have to remove the bolts to do this? i heard it is possible to do it while they are installed using one of those wire saws or something that effect. My only concern would be getting a straight cut not exposing any of the metal plates between the bushings.

thanks,
Old 09-01-2011, 07:02 PM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The c6 lowering is day enough but watch out for dips in the road. Your nose will drag the road.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 PM
fasthwks
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Darkside
Awesome... that will be my project this weekend! When you cut the bushings, which is was i ended up doing on my c5, did you have to remove the bolts to do this? i heard it is possible to do it while they are installed using one of those wire saws or something that effect. My only concern would be getting a straight cut not exposing any of the metal plates between the bushings.

thanks,
I used a cable saw from Home Depot in place of removing the bolts. Worked well but I will tell you to buy 2 or 3 of them because you will break a few of them in the process. I have no problems driving, I am yet to scuff the nose on anything in 4k miles. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 PM
The Darkside
Cruising

Awesome.... Alignment afterwards mandatory or unnecessary?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:40 AM
HeadTurner
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

I also used a wire saw from Depot, and it worked great..just be ready to work a lil bit... I did not get an alignment on my car, it drives fine. I know some people need an alignment afterwards.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:35 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also cut the bushings myself but you might need to put some pressure on the spring to expose the bushing high enough to cut comfortably.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 AM
fasthwks
Drifting

Originally Posted by HeadTurner
I also used a wire saw from Depot, and it worked great..just be ready to work a lil bit... I did not get an alignment on my car, it drives fine. I know some people need an alignment afterwards.
I did not get an alignment either, car drives great!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM
The Darkside
Cruising

Got the car jacked up then lowered it onto the leaf spring using another jack. Was able to expose the bushing and wire saw it off pretty easily. Took the advise from fasthwks and bought a few of them. FYI, the box stores have the wire saw for $14 but also sell a "wire pocket saw" used to cut wood when camping for $4.95. Same exact thing minus the rubber padding on the handle and think it actually cut better. Car looks awesome! i'll get some pics posted as soon as it stops raining down here.

Thanks again for everybody's input!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

as long as you know lowering beyond the OEM adjustment range (ie cutting) will hurt both handling and ride quality, go for it. You should absolutely have your TOE reset as a bare minimum...it's easy to measure and adjust, and you've hurt your suspension geometry so much anyway you really want the tires point in the right direction at least when you are going straight.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My right rear hub bearing is currently being replaced. Mechanic at the dealer said it was because it was lowered too much and put strain on it. Could not be fixed under warranty until put back at stock height and an alignment was done. It was lowered all the way down on stock bolts.

Just be sure you keep track of how many turns you make on each bolt. I couldn't find where I wrote it down, so they are having to do it for me, and charge a little extra.

Last edited by ChevyCobb; 09-07-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't want to go any farther than stock bolts, maybe just a 1/2 in or so all around. Something subtle. Can anyone elaborate of the extra strain lowering the car puts on the suspension as the gentleman above mentioned?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 AM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I wouldn't want to go any farther than stock bolts, maybe just a 1/2 in or so all around. Something subtle. Can anyone elaborate of the extra strain lowering the car puts on the suspension as the gentleman above mentioned?
Actually, I would like to know more too, because as soon as I get the car back I want to lower it again.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM
CivEngineer
Advanced

Does anyone have an idea of how much lowering you get with each full turn of the the stock bolts?? Or does anyone know the exact amount of lowering they got with the exact amount of turns so we can figure it out.

It would be nice to know before getting under and doing this for the guys that only want to adjust a specific amount that may be less than what the oem bolts can offer.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Z06 Lowering

Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM
r6elmo
Instructor

Originally Posted by CivEngineer
Does anyone have an idea of how much lowering you get with each full turn of the the stock bolts?? Or does anyone know the exact amount of lowering they got with the exact amount of turns so we can figure it out.

It would be nice to know before getting under and doing this for the guys that only want to adjust a specific amount that may be less than what the oem bolts can offer.
Every car seems to be a bit different. I believe I lowered all of my stock bolts all the way out and I have more gap in the front than the rear. I'd say I got maybe 3/4" down on the rear and 1/2" in the front. Not nearly as low as the white car pictured.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:54 PM
The Darkside
Cruising

Default Chattering after lowering

okay so minor hickup...! the car is lowered... looks awesome! got the alignment done. drive nice and straight. But I am getting kind of like a chattering sound from what i think is the lowering bolts shifting around on the control arm. There wasn't any lube on the bolt when i snipped the bottom ring off. Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks,
Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

bump.... for my question above...

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2011 Z06 Lowering