Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Radiator electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:39 PM
k w f z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator electric fan

i would like to know , what is temperature of the motor as to be for the fan to start , i think i have a problem with mine ,
Old 09-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is a good read about the C6 "non Z06" that may help you out. I believe it is 190 F, but I am not sure.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-getting.html

Good Luck.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Here is the information from the Service Manual. As you can see the fan doesn't turn on until the temp is well above 190.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cooling System Description and Operation
Cooling Fan Control - Variable Speed Single Fan System
The engine cooling fan is a variable speed fan. The engine control module (ECM) controls the fan speed by sending a pulse width modulated signal to the cooling fan control module. The cooling fan control module varies the voltage drop across the cooling fan motor in relation to the pulse width modulated signal.

Cooling fan speed is effected by many different conditions and can be adjusted from 10 percent to 90 percent duty cycle (PWM), 90 percent is considered high speed fan. When multiple cooling fan speed requests are received the ECM uses the highest cooling fan speed of all the requests. The ECM commands the cooling fan ON under the following conditions:

• Cooling fan duty cycle starts when engine coolant temperature reaches approximately 95°C (204°F) and reaches high speed at temperatures above 113°C (235°F).

• Cooling fan duty cycle starts when A/C pressure reaches approximately 1100 kPa (160 psi) and reaches high speed at A/C pressures above 2480 kPa (360 psi).

• At engine oil temperatures above approximately 150°C (302°F) the cooling fan duty cycle will be commanded to high speed.

• At transmission oil temperatures above approximately 132°C (270°F) the cooling fan duty cycle will be commanded to high speed.

• After the vehicle is shut OFF if the engine coolant temperature at key-off is greater than 113°C (235°F) or the A/C pressure is greater than 1720 kPa (249 psi) the cooling fan duty cycle is set to 50 percent, low speed. If the coolant temperature drops below 110°C (230°F) and the A/C pressure drops below 1660 kPa (241 psi) the fan will shut OFF. The fans will automatically shut OFF after 2 min. regardless of coolant temperature.

Bill
Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 PM
k w f z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Here is the information from the Service Manual. As you can see the fan doesn't turn on until the temp is well above 190.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cooling System Description and Operation
Cooling Fan Control - Variable Speed Single Fan System
The engine cooling fan is a variable speed fan. The engine control module (ECM) controls the fan speed by sending a pulse width modulated signal to the cooling fan control module. The cooling fan control module varies the voltage drop across the cooling fan motor in relation to the pulse width modulated signal.

Cooling fan speed is effected by many different conditions and can be adjusted from 10 percent to 90 percent duty cycle (PWM), 90 percent is considered high speed fan. When multiple cooling fan speed requests are received the ECM uses the highest cooling fan speed of all the requests. The ECM commands the cooling fan ON under the following conditions:

• Cooling fan duty cycle starts when engine coolant temperature reaches approximately 95°C (204°F) and reaches high speed at temperatures above 113°C (235°F).

• Cooling fan duty cycle starts when A/C pressure reaches approximately 1100 kPa (160 psi) and reaches high speed at A/C pressures above 2480 kPa (360 psi).

• At engine oil temperatures above approximately 150°C (302°F) the cooling fan duty cycle will be commanded to high speed.

• At transmission oil temperatures above approximately 132°C (270°F) the cooling fan duty cycle will be commanded to high speed.

• After the vehicle is shut OFF if the engine coolant temperature at key-off is greater than 113°C (235°F) or the A/C pressure is greater than 1720 kPa (249 psi) the cooling fan duty cycle is set to 50 percent, low speed. If the coolant temperature drops below 110°C (230°F) and the A/C pressure drops below 1660 kPa (241 psi) the fan will shut OFF. The fans will automatically shut OFF after 2 min. regardless of coolant temperature.

Bill
Thank Bill it very helpful , Afew month ago i install the APR front splitter and i saw temperature been warmer , i have a Dewitts radiator , APR tell me it should make any diference but the hole under the bumper is close, i understand for the splitter to work you have to close the hole , (opening 4"x 16" +/- ) , anybody install the APR splitter and notice temperature change , i still have the 190 factory thermostat , may be the solution is to change the hood with a vented hood !!! also it been very hot in south Florida i just dont like to finish a session and see the temperature at 230+ .

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator electric fan

Quick Reply: [Z06] Radiator electric fan