Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
whatcop?
CF Senior Member
 
whatcop?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy
Peter Nakhla
Default Clutch reservoir cap

Is it just me or is it odd that the cap has a pressure relief in it. Its brake fluid in there so wouldn't moisture be getting into the system through there. Any disadvantage to sealing it up? Does anyone make a cap that does seal it?
whatcop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
whatcop?
CF Senior Member
 
whatcop?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy
Peter Nakhla
Default

Someone has to have an opinion
whatcop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
MachAll 2005
CF Senior Member
 
MachAll 2005's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: "Cedar Valley" (Northeastern) Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcop? View Post
Someone has to have an opinion
As long as the cap is not removed, it is a sealed system. You have the bellows that moves with the fluid level .. providing the sealing member ... the top side of the Bellows is vented via the cap......don't plug it .... Hope this helps
MachAll 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
whatcop?
CF Senior Member
 
whatcop?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy
Peter Nakhla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachAll 2005 View Post
As long as the cap is not removed, it is a sealed system. You have the bellows that moves with the fluid level .. providing the sealing member ... the top side of the Bellows is vented via the cap......don't plug it .... Hope this helps
I follow you but wouldn't a vented cap allow moisture into the system. Or is it 100% a one way system and if it was once pressure was vented out would it not create a minor vacuum in the system?
whatcop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Default

The cap is sealed from the bellow down. The area above the bellow is vented. No air can get into the system. Gm has been doing this for years. No need to rethink the wheel.
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
whatcop?
CF Senior Member
 
whatcop?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy
Peter Nakhla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
The cap is sealed from the bellow down. The area above the bellow is vented. No air can get into the system. Gm has been doing this for years. No need to rethink the wheel.
LOL fine. So my question now is what is the purpose of the bellow? Why couldn't it be the same setup as the brake fluid reservoir?
whatcop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
PHXAZ06
CF Senior Member
 
PHXAZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Default

brake fluid doesn't recirculate, clutch fluid does.
is there a problem with it, or you just happen to be wondering about this?
PHXAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
whatcop?
CF Senior Member
 
whatcop?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy
Peter Nakhla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXAZ06 View Post
brake fluid doesn't recirculate, clutch fluid does.
is there a problem with it, or you just happen to be wondering about this?
Just wondering more than anything. The reason I posed the question is because recently I had changed the fluid and the car sat for awhile without being driven and I noticed that it still darkened up as if moisture was hitting it.
whatcop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!
 
50 4Ever's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Sacramento Kalifornia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcop? View Post
Just wondering more than anything. The reason I posed the question is because recently I had changed the fluid and the car sat for awhile without being driven and I noticed that it still darkened up as if moisture was hitting it.
The fluid darkening up is not moisture it is clutch dust. Read Ranger's sticky at the top of the forum titled Clutch Pedal Issues - How to prevent and cure.

50 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
whatcop?
CF Senior Member
 
whatcop?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy
Peter Nakhla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 4Ever View Post
The fluid darkening up is not moisture it is clutch dust. Read Ranger's sticky at the top of the forum titled Clutch Pedal Issues - How to prevent and cure.

I agree on it being clutch dust but why would it darken up if the car isn't being driven? Ponder that one my friend lol
whatcop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #11
bluemagoo
CF Senior Member
 
bluemagoo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Denver CO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcop? View Post
LOL fine. So my question now is what is the purpose of the bellow? Why couldn't it be the same setup as the brake fluid reservoir?
The brake fluid reservoir does have a bellows that's vented on the topside like the clutch master. I've always assumed that the bellows was designed to seal the fluid from the air but still accomodate a pressure differential between the reservoir and the atmosphere when the fluid level in the reservoir changes.
bluemagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
whatcop?
CF Senior Member
 
whatcop?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy
Peter Nakhla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemagoo View Post
The brake fluid reservoir does have a bellows that's vented on the topside like the clutch master. I've always assumed that the bellows was designed to seal the fluid from the air but still accomodate a pressure differential between the reservoir and the atmosphere when the fluid level in the reservoir changes.
I understand thats the purpose of the bellow but wouldn't it be better to have more pressure in the system? Could the flex in the bellow be causing a loss in hydraulic pressure in the system.
whatcop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
PHXAZ06
CF Senior Member
 
PHXAZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcop? View Post
Could the flex in the bellow be causing a loss in hydraulic pressure in the system.
No, the reservoir draws from the bottom, and unless the reservoir goes completely empty (you have a leak), it will purge itself of air, as long as there is the volume of fluid available to replace the air.

Using Rangers method, the last thing you do is pump the pedal, so after the procedure, the fluid is always going to be a little darker than out of the can. The first pedal pump brings fluid from the clutch slave cylinder back up to the reservoir.
Still wondering?
PHXAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #14
dcamick
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dcamick's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
dcamick
Default Clutch Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXAZ06 View Post
No, the reservoir draws from the bottom, and unless the reservoir goes completely empty (you have a leak), it will purge itself of air, as long as there is the volume of fluid available to replace the air.

Using Rangers method, the last thing you do is pump the pedal, so after the procedure, the fluid is always going to be a little darker than out of the can. The first pedal pump brings fluid from the clutch slave cylinder back up to the reservoir.
Still wondering?
It is a 5 minute process. Great responses to the questions. That is why I'm a Member!!

dcamick
dcamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
whatcop?
CF Senior Member
 
whatcop?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy
Peter Nakhla
Default

The reason I asked the whole question is for 2 reasons:

1) Even with crystal clear fluid these cars under an extremely hard launch lose the clutch and was wondering could this be to partial loss of hydraulic pressure and so the clutch doesn't have enough clamping force leading to it slipping and glazing itself.

2) This was my clutch fluid recently after doing the ranger procedure a solid 5 times and then leaving the car to sit without touching it whatsoever for 5 days. Pedal was never touched. The fluid is darker and as you can see something is floating in it. Also I do the Ranger method all the time. Sometimes I do it just for the hell of doing it even when the fluid looks good just to make sure its extra clean. So no need to preach to the choir on swapping the fluid every little bit.

Click the image to open in full size.



Also as a side note if I remember correctly my E46 M3 used one reservoir for both brake fluid and clutch fluid and it had no bellow or any sort.
whatcop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcop? View Post
The reason I asked the whole question is for 2 reasons:

1) Even with crystal clear fluid these cars under an extremely hard launch lose the clutch and was wondering could this be to partial loss of hydraulic pressure and so the clutch doesn't have enough clamping force leading to it slipping and glazing itself.

2) This was my clutch fluid recently after doing the ranger procedure a solid 5 times and then leaving the car to sit without touching it whatsoever for 5 days. Pedal was never touched. The fluid is darker and as you can see something is floating in it. Also I do the Ranger method all the time. Sometimes I do it just for the hell of doing it even when the fluid looks good just to make sure its extra clean. So no need to preach to the choir on swapping the fluid every little bit.

Click the image to open in full size.



Also as a side note if I remember correctly my E46 M3 used one reservoir for both brake fluid and clutch fluid and it had no bellow or any sort.
What are those granules of poo at the bottom of your reservoir? When I change my fluid, I see dark specs but not what I see in your pictures. Maybe it's an illusion.
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #17
whatcop?
CF Senior Member
 
whatcop?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy
Peter Nakhla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
What are those granules of poo at the bottom of your reservoir? When I change my fluid, I see dark specs but not what I see in your pictures. Maybe it's an illusion.
Clumped up clutch dust I guess. Its beyond me how dust gets in yet no fluid gets out.
whatcop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
ritzz06
CF Member
 
ritzz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcop? View Post
I agree on it being clutch dust but why would it darken up if the car isn't being driven? Ponder that one my friend lol
I was told by a parts guy that due to humidity/moisture, it will turn black just sitting for a period of time. I bought my 2009 Z06 with 6000 miles a few months ago from a Cadillac dealer in Phoenix AZ who got it at auction from Ohio, where it was originally sold. I'm assuming it was parked most
of the time in Ohio. When I was changing out the fluid (thank you Ranger) I couldn't see any dust
particles as are shown in Ranger's excellent video. I believe that both factors can darken the clutch fluid. Hope this doesn't add confusion to the already
perplexing issue of why GM has allowed this
engineering glitch to be. Also, there is no "perfect" seal when the cap is on properly so moisture can find it's way inside due to the many fluctuations in temperature in an engine compartment.
ritzz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page Clutch reservoir cap
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2005, brake, c5, c6, cap, clutch, compartment, corvett, corvette, e46, engine, fluid, m3, number, operation, part, reservoir


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overflow Tank Cap... Richard Cooper C3 General 5 08-05-2014 07:53 PM
How is the valve cover cap sealed? eegle C6 Tech/Performance 8 03-18-2013 03:07 PM
Battery Water? lordofwar C6 Corvette General Discussion 28 12-13-2012 11:55 AM
Optispark cap & rotor change Nemeth C4 Tech/Performance 2 06-07-2008 08:46 AM
Vented or unvented fuel cap ? WESCH C3 Tech/Performance 3 05-09-2002 11:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Emails & Password Backup