Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Centennial Edition suede wheel & console installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Centennial Edition suede wheel & console installed

I'd been casually shopping for an aftermarket suede wheel, but was always discouraged by the prices asked for them. With the Centennial Edition Corvette coming with these parts, it is good news for us C6 owners, because OEM parts are much cheaper (and arguably better) than the aftermarket parts using the same materials. I picked these up from Corvetteforum member RichieRichZ06, thanks again.

The new wheel feels a little thicker, and has the palm humps at 10 and 2. The area around the buttons also looks much nicer than the original wheel. Installation was about 20 minutes for both. You'll need a 21mm socket for the steering wheel nut, a 2-jaw puller, some centerpunches or small phillips screwdriver to release the airbag, and a T10 Torx for the console lid.

Tony

Pics!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Oh, and I think I'll be doing the shift boot and e-brake handle next. I just wanted to be sure I'd like the quality of these in person first. I have the suede factory wheel in my Cadillac CTS-V, so I like how they feel.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Racie
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nineball everytime I see you on one of the many forums your rides are clean classy and never over the top the Z still looks great! BTW do you still have that beautiful red Chevelle?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:19 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

looks great!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
felo357
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me know how much for your shifter
Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Looks great How was the steering wheel install? Is there a write up on how to do it? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:42 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Racie
Nineball everytime I see you on one of the many forums your rides are clean classy and never over the top the Z still looks great! BTW do you still have that beautiful red Chevelle?
Thanks. I still have the Chevelle, its likely a keeper. Hard to find clean 454 Chevelles that don't cost $50K.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Looks great How was the steering wheel install? Is there a write up on how to do it? Thanks.
I may be able to do a simple write-up. Tools listed in first post. To release the airbag, you simply stick a small phillips screwdriver or centerpunch into that little hole on each side of the bottom spoke. You can see the hole in this pic:

That pushes against a spring retainer inside the wheel, releasing the airbag/horn cover. Once you have the new wheel in hand, you can see how it works before pulling the factory wheel off.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
I may be able to do a simple write-up. Tools listed in first post. To release the airbag, you simply stick a small phillips screwdriver or centerpunch into that little hole on each side of the bottom spoke. You can see the hole in this pic:

That pushes against a spring retainer inside the wheel, releasing the airbag/horn cover. Once you have the new wheel in hand, you can see how it works before pulling the factory wheel off.
I see. Thanks Nineball. BTW Nice collection of cars you have. I really like the Chevelle I sold my 71 SS Chevelle with a transplant LS6 Really loved that car.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 PM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

part number for yours?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 PM
ODE-Z
Instructor

Beautiful ride buddy!!! I have a cyber grey and am considering the same exact type of mods with an accent color. However I am going to go with inferno orange!! Have the calipers powdercoated as well. Then the interior with those same suede pieces but orange including the doors and perhaps the gauge cluster in orange as well. I already have a 3LZ with the two tone titanium/dark titanium so I think the light grey suede will match nicely.

What do you think about the inferno idea??

I was thinking about red too but then inferno hit me and hit me hard I am dead set on that I like to be different!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
looks great!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe how inexpensive that wheel is. I'm assuming it will fit an 06' or 07' even though they don't have the buttons on the left part of the wheel?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 PM
ducpor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! Does the console offer any additional padding besides what you get from the suede itself?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh, and I think I'll be doing the shift boot and e-brake handle next. I just wanted to be sure I'd like the quality of these in person first. I have the suede factory wheel in my Cadillac CTS-V, so I like how they feel.
Any real-life feedback on how the suede holds up on the wheel? How many miles do you have on the CTS-V, if I may ask?
I looked at these as well, but the suede wearing faster (especially the wheel and shifter) and being more difficult to clean are my biggest concerns...

Thanks, Sonny
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

looks nice! fortunatly my new 2012 centennial edition Z06 already has all of thoes parts!
just about 6 weeks away! i cannot wait!!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:21 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

What do you think about the inferno idea??
Gray and orange should look killer. I purposely bought my Z06 because it had the red interior. I'm in TX, purchased it new in MI and had it shipped down. I also like having a different combo.

Looks great! Does the console offer any additional padding besides what you get from the suede itself?
Cover isn't any more padding than stock or the Z06 one I replaced, just the suede.

Any real-life feedback on how the suede holds up on the wheel? How many miles do you have on the CTS-V, if I may ask?
I believe I have around 17K on the Caddy. No signs of wear. This isn't actual cowhide suede, it is synthetic. Some places call it "micro-suede". It actually holds up better than the leather does when it comes to scuffs or accidental scrapes with fingernails, rings, or watches.

Get notified of new replies

To Centennial Edition suede wheel & console installed

Old 09-24-2011, 12:48 AM
ODE-Z
Instructor

Gray and orange should look killer. I purposely bought my Z06 because it had the red interior. I'm in TX, purchased it new in MI and had it shipped down. I also like having a different combo.

Cover isn't any more padding than stock or the Z06 one I replaced, just the suede.

I believe I have around 17K on the Caddy. No signs of wear. This isn't actual cowhide suede, it is synthetic. Some places call it "micro-suede". It actually holds up better than the leather does when it comes to scuffs or accidental scrapes with fingernails, rings, or watches.

Cool man thanks I think it will! I noticed it looked like the red interior started stock I didnt realize that they offered the cyber grey like that. I have seen them all in black and mine with the dark and light titanium and now with red thats hot! I wouldve done the same if I started out with the red like you. You really wanted that red having it shipped all that way!! lol If you know what you want you must make it happen!!

Also other good info on how it holds up and such! I will be saving for these pieces in orange over the winter. However I have a feeling that I will need a clutch too. Boy oh boy this car likes money lol Gotta pay to play!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:27 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks Good Mayne
Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 AM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

I have the same interior as you. I really like that combo. I sat in the Z06 at Carlisle with those parts on it. The steering wheel feels great. You have convinced me that is the way to go. Thanks for posting. And please do the tutorial on the change over.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Centennial Edition suede wheel & console installed