Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] CEL and "Service Traction System"

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default CEL and "Service Traction System"

Since my new motor was installed I have been getting CEL with the Traction Light and DIC "Service Traction System"

The Throttle Positon Sensor was replaced as the OBII indicated that was the reason the car was running rough and tripping CEL and DIC messages.

The car now runs smoothly but the CEL/DIC keeps coming back. It seems like it takes about 30 miles of driving to trigger the event. The car was road tested a few times by dealer and all seemed fine, but they only drive it about 10 miles.

I am able to place the car in Comp Mode while the CEL and DIC are displayed.

So does anyone know what the problem is?

Is the car safe to drive at the track in this condition??

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 11-03-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Would DEFINITELY not drive it at the track in that condition can be dangerous and possibly cause steering wheel to lock up (rare but can happen with service traction control on the dic)!

Need to play things safe also on your brand new engine that your dealer just put in under warranty, etc. Get it back to your dealer asap to get things squared away the way it should be!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-03-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:57 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O2 sensor. or you got the original program in your carputer (car computer )

let us know what you find!

-pp
Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Would DEFINITELY not drive it at the track in that condition can be dangerous and possibly cause steering wheel to lock up (rare but can happen with service traction control on the dic)!

Need to play things safe also on your brand new engine that your dealer just put in under warranty, etc. Get it back to your dealer asap to get things squared away the way it should be!
Good advise but I gotta get back on the track 11/19 !!!!!!

DH
Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by peterpiper
O2 sensor. or you got the original program in your carputer (car computer )

let us know what you find!

-pp
Are you saying you think the dealer reflashed my ECM with an old out dated code ???

I can envision a 02 sensor being fouled or even a CAT if oil went through exhaust while the 2 hole were being made in my block ...... but why would DIC give "Service Traction System"

I am going to get codes read this weekend before I bring it back to dealer. Do the codes get erased quickly ??

DH
Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 PM
peterpiper
Pro

I'm saying "possibly". If I were a dealer installing a new motor, I'd reset all computers with the latest software. The average dealer would use a software image of what they have on hand. A poor dealer would just replace the motor.

An O2 sensor being fouled is the most likely case, but you wouldn't know if it was the carputer misconfigured or the O2 sensor.

The codes you can read do get "reset"; the codes the dealer can read (with a Tech 2) have much longer to live.

-pp

Last edited by peterpiper; 11-03-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I'm saying "possibly". If I were a dealer installing a new motor, I'd reset all computers with the latest software. The average dealer would use a software image of what they have on hand. A poor dealer would just replace the motor.

An O2 sensor being fouled is the most likely case, but you wouldn't know if it was the carputer misconfigured or the O2 sensor.

The codes you can read do get "reset"; the codes the dealer can read (with a Tech 2) have much longer to live.

-pp
I tried to take a picture while driving tonight. Didn't come out too good but you can see the 2 lights on. The DIC says "Service Traction System" but can't be read ......

DH
Old 11-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Check the PCV line, carefully for a vacuum leak. Any lean codes? If you disconnect the PCV line, you will get lean codes and Service Traction Control codes.

Look first for P0171 and P0171 codes; If none, then you may have a problem with the sensors on the wheels. One faulty sensor will cause this as well.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Halltech
Check the PCV line, carefully for a vacuum leak. Any lean codes? If you disconnect the PCV line, you will get lean codes and Service Traction Control codes.

Look first for P0171 and P0171 codes; If none, then you may have a problem with the sensors on the wheels. One faulty sensor will cause this as well.
Thanks Jim

I will be reinstalling my catch can this weekend so that should rule out any PCV leaks. I know one day at the track I forgot to hook up the lines and I got the CEL. But it went right away when I hooked it back up.

I don't have a code reader (really miss the C5 DIC code read outs)but will have it scanned this weekend.

You listed the same P0171 twice ??

What is your opinion on taking it to the track like this. It stays in COMP MODE with the CEL and the DIC warnings going off

Will my ACH be messed up and car not respond in turns as I have come to expect??

DH
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 PM
peterpiper
Pro

With CEL, you won't be competitive, and will be running in reduced power mode.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

With CEL, you won't be competitive, and will be running in reduced power mode.
I will test that theory this weekend in the canyons. It doesn't seem to be a problem. Stays in COMP MODE but I haven't pushed it over 4K rpm. Is that when I will hit reduced power mod?

DH
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The CEL is causing the Service Traction Control message. The CEL has something to do with controlling engine torque (misfire, throttle control electronics, etc). When that happens the ECM sends a message to the EBCM saying it can't control torque properly and the EBCM sets a code and displays the Service Traction message on the DIC. AH isn't necessarily affected by this since it is a brake application Vs torque control function.

Bill
Old 11-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The CEL is causing the Service Traction Control message. The CEL has something to do with controlling engine torque (misfire, throttle control electronics, etc). When that happens the ECM sends a message to the EBCM saying it can't control torque properly and the EBCM sets a code and displays the Service Traction message on the DIC. AH isn't necessarily affected by this since it is a brake application Vs torque control function.

Bill
The CEL has been on now for 2 days. Today on the way home I pushed it a little in 3rd gear (4K RPM) and it seemed like that got the DIC message and TC lamp to trigger. I will test that again tomorrow. And will get some codes to post up. Then its back to the dealer monday AM

DH
Old 11-05-2011, 12:38 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech

Saw the same thing when my catch can was not sealed correctly.

DH, Code readers are cheap now and available at many auto parts stores that read OBD 2 codes, even Wal Mart carries them. Codes list available on the web. Autozone was providing free code reading service last time I checked.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T

Saw the same thing when my catch can was not sealed correctly.

DH, Code readers are cheap now and available at many auto parts stores that read OBD 2 codes, even Wal Mart carries them. Codes list available on the web. Autozone was providing free code reading service last time I checked.
I have a local mechanic. Changing oil and getting codes read on Sunday. Will post up the codes ........

DH
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Codes found:

P0300: Misfire

P0430: Cat Passenger side

Oiled cat from engine failure makes sense.

Misfire worries me cause I don't know if this was when engine blew or after. Maybe in happened when car stalled or during limp mode ??

There were no codes found in the BCM

Putting some g-force load seems to trigger the DIC message "Service Traction System" and lights up the Traction Control lamp.

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 11-06-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CEL and "Service Traction System"

Quick Reply: [Z06] CEL and "Service Traction System"