Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My RAVE reviews on the Bridgestone Runflats, had NO IDEA a Runflat good grip so well!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default My RAVE reviews on the Bridgestone Runflats, had NO IDEA a Runflat good grip so well!

All I can say after getting my Bridgestone Runflats on all 4 corners of my Z this afternoon, my mind is COMPLETELY blown away with how well these TIRES GRIP!!! Now i know I don't have anything to compare them to other than the stock GY oem runflats, but let me tell you this, the straight line dry grip on these tires are what I would have expected with the STICKIEST non-runflat tire out there (other than a drag radial) and I AM NOT exaggerating they SIMPLY ROCK.

First gear was USELESS in my 06 Z with the GY oem runcraps and so was second gear when I would slam her into second hard in hot rod mode (Z would be sideways if I did not get out of the throttle with the GY Runcraps).

NOW, first gear is 100% useable and on a gorgeous 75 degree day in Chicago I put them to the FULL TEST for straight line traction (today) and these bad boys flat out get it!!! I can actually come out of the hole in first gear and at a 5 to 10 mph roll then going WOT, these actually HOOK me up in first all the way up 6500 rpm and when slamming into second same thing (simply mind boggling for a runflat on the street that has 0 prep)! That being said on the street I don't think anything can touch me now from a stop to 175mph (not that I do stuff like that ) and I feel like I can rip-off some mid 11 second time slips at the track with these mind boggling runflats!

The car also feels MUCH lighter (like it went on a 400 lb diet) and much more nimbler now like its floating on air vs the GY runcraps, and my initial impressions are INCREDBILE!! For those who don't track their car and drive their Zs primarily on the street, I really don't see the reason to run anytime other than this (other than the fact that they of course are not cheap, but cheaper by a few hundred bucks vs the Micheliens). Also, the treadware on the Bridgestones are 280 vs. 220 for the GY oem runflats so another HUGE positive about these tires.

The Bridestones fit the rims and car great and actually the rear tires come with wrapping that state "These Tires are to be used only a C6 Z06 corvette (so they are actually specifically designed for the C6 Z another big positive). I hit one twisty road pretty good and they handled REALLY GOOD and I am sure there will be no disapointments on twisty roads and highway entrance ramps and here is my only negative feedback but not a big deal:

I compared them side to side next to the GY oem runflats and the GY are known to run extra wide, and sure enough the GYs are a good one inch wider than the Bridgestones, but once on the car you can't even tell and the way they grip in the dry traction makes this a non-issue for me.

So, if your undecided on what runflat to go with or to get away from a runflat, but prefer the piece of mind of keeping a runflat, I could not RECOMMEND these tires with any more enthusiasm than saying on a scale of 1 to 10 I rate these as an 11, for dry traction and handling and I won't be doing much wet traction testing as the car is not driven in the rain if I can avoid it. I had high expectations for these new runflats and my expectations WERE FAR EXCEEDED by these Bridgestones that I cannot believe are a runflat tire (and know I don't work for Bridgestone and this is the first Bridgestone tire I have ever run on about 50 cars I have owned in my lifetime).

ALso, for those who have not seen this I agree with everything set forth in the following review posted by another new Bridgestone Flat owner, which was motivating enough to make me buy these (and MAN AM I GLAD I DID)!!!

HERE the previous write up from other poster that made my decision easy on these tires:

"Just got back. Meet up with a buddy of mine and hung-out for a bit.

I think 427Z said it best, these are probably the best runflats out there on the market. However, when compared to standard non-runflats, these tires should still be considered as one of the top ten, atleast, when it comes to street-rubber.

Thus, after a long night, these are my observations.

1. Car feels like a million bucks! I have read here about how a set of shocks or coilovers from pfadt can change the way you look at your Z. Well, these tires, honestly, has turned my car around 180*'s. Where the old EMT's, even when new, would tramline or follow ruts, feel harsh on uneven road surfaces, almost as if the sidewall was built out of concrete, or even the unexpected, at first, bump steer.. the Potenza's are almost polar opposites.

In comparison, the Z now has more of cadillac feel with the Potenza's. That is not to say she has lost her edge, far from it, but when you want to cruise and not be frustrated from a harsh ride, these tires will allow you almost forget about the road surface and focus on what is important... your driving a freaking Z06 man, what else do you want?! However, I must add that these tires are not air-matress like... uber-smooth. The Potenza's still produce a bit of road noise, though significantly less than the stockers, and when pushed they actually squeel, something the stockers don't due. But they are smooth as butter, no harsh ride, just smooth sailing, making your drive work more plush, yet snappy enough to still maintain the Z06's brutally accurate front-end.

2. Handling..... given the emt's hard sidewall, you get that nice turn-in feel and not alot of sidewall flex, thus enhancing the cars natural tendencies to roll. One of my biggest concerns, again, was to loose that feel. I did mention how smooth the Potenza's are, and surprisingly, you don't loose the turn-in I have grown to love out of the stockers. The steering wheel is snappy, and glides over the road surface, springing the front end just as fast as the emt's would, but now with more finess. If the old emt's was a pirate, the Potenza's is more like a well trained ninja, ready to creep up on anything at thetrack. The sidewalls, on the Potenza's, are also stiff enough to provide predictable cornering without any increase in sidewall flex. I do get more sound out of the tires than the emt's, however, that is almost a welcome side-effect as the emt's are usually quite and not audibly knowing your tires limit. Overall, for a street tire and maybe some spirited driving, these tires will NOT dissappoint you... unless your the kind of guy that runs hoosiers on his baby stroller, which how can i blame you... these tires are just amazing!

3... last but not least... GRIP. OH baby... do these tires got it?! When compared to the stockers, either cold or hot, these tires will out perfom the emt's in straight line grip. When you need them, they are available to handle all of the power you can throw at them and not miss a beat. I have done a few first gear rolls from about 30mph, to top of second... and first gear is now useable. Where the stockers would usually require me modulate more the pedal, these i can keep it almost planted, yet, out enough to provide enough foward motion to ring through the gear faster than the emt's. When powershifting/speedshifting in the second, the tires will blast through with some spin... thought still maintain a level of grip that surpass the stockers. Very predictable grip and enough to propel you to top of second, again, faster than what the emt's would.

In the past, i couldn't hit it in second gear with TC off at 60mph without having to back it off tons to gain back control... it got so bad that i always left TC ON to avoid getting into any kind of real danger. Now, at 60mph, in second, TC OFF, COMP. MODE, i can almost go 100% throttle and surge through second with more forward thrust and with confidence. Car feels now, honestly, as if it got a 50-shot of nitrous... these tires have brought back that stupid smile we all got when we first hammered the car.... and its good!

Oh, also very important.... throughout the night, in all possible situations, gears, mph... etc... i got NO WHEELHOP! None, Ziltch! Nada!!! I didn't here the rear-end chatter.. just my passenger holding on to dear life as his teeth smack each other from having his head planted in the seat rest.

Now, i can already see or hear it now.... there is no way just a tire change can make such a big difference? Or, obzidian is just exaggerating! Well, im with ya. Whenever i read reviews here or elsewhere about tires, for example.. i would be doubtful on the validity of the posters comments. Now, these are just my opinions and observations, but i can honestly and humbly state without hold back:

"These are tires are fantastic! They are light-years ahead of the stock emt's and with a deeper thread depth than the emt's, should last longer than the GY's. Also, these tires will transform your ride into something completely different that what you are accustomed to. If you like a harsh ride, than stick with the stockers. If you want less overall grip, stick with the stockers. But if you want to give a set of tires a shot that WILL out last your current gy's, that WILL ride smoother, maintain the runflat feature and stock sizing, and provide MORE tire grip and handling.. than i would, with no convictions or hesitations, advice to give these tires a try. Don't let the runflat feature detour you, these tires DO NOT ride a runflat. Infact, these tires should of came with the car from factory, that is how much i love them. Your confidence level going into corners and in straight applications is more than what i would get out of the emt's and will allow you to produce better street manners and become faster, if you want to have some fun in some twisties, vacated streets, etc. For normal street duties, these tires are a no-brainer, much better at crusing than teh gy's, hands down!

Anyways, sorry for the rant, its late and i gotta wake up early so i can go for another ride in my Z... aren't these cars awesome?!"

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-05-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice review. Hey, do you have the exact model and stock tire sizes? Am considering an '08 Z and want to find out what category of tire those are (extreme summer, max summer, or ultra high-sperformance all-season). Glad to hear there's a good runflat endorsed by a current owner; I definitely want that piece of mind. Thx.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Nice review. Hey, do you have the exact model and stock tire sizes? Am considering an '08 Z and want to find out what category of tire those are (extreme summer, max summer, or ultra high-sperformance all-season). Glad to hear there's a good runflat endorsed by a current owner; I definitely want that piece of mind. Thx.

Tire: Bridgestone RE050 RFT
Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 280/Y

Fronts are 275/35/18 and backs 325/30/19s (same exact sizes for GY oem runflats).

I do believe they may be considered a Max Summer tire (but not certain).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-13-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice writeup....glad your happy.

I think this was more along the lines of...the oem gy'ers were already on there way out...so not a fair comparison IMO.....I dont see how one could be that much better than the other. Go drive a brand new z06 off the showroom floor with NEW OEM goodyear tires....Ill bet you come to find they are nearly identical to these bridgestones...

I think within 1500 miles....you will again come to find that 1st gear is useless again.

I have the Invos....and while they are better.....they were WAAAAY better when I first got them (but again, I was comparing them to Gy'ers that were on there way out) now Id say they are only slightly better than the OEM tires when it comes to traction....but way better as far as comfort.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM
acthegiant
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default same great experience and hundreds less than Michelins

In complete agreement, had Michelins on previous C5; however, had good luck with Bridgestones on my other cars so I took a chance on my 06 Z06.

In the end night and day better than GY, and $300.00 less than Michelins (Tire Rack). Love the tires and so far so good on the wear...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also like the Bstone Pole Position tires. Better than the GY or the Michelins I have gone thru.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Jimmy!!! You are Sooooo happy. Very Cool. Putting in the homework and enjoying the results........Good for you........See ya.......Joe
Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Totally agree with your assessment. I've had mine for 16K. Still have great hookup and plenty of tread left. The GY rears were shot @ 8K and never had good hookup of the line.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks like I found my new tires. Currently have almost 12k miles on the GY's and the tread is starting to get a little thin. I can get the Bstones locally.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Could you go looking for a rain storm this weekend and report back on how they handle in the wet?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Rez90
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up. How much power does your car make?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Geared
Nice writeup....glad your happy.

I think this was more along the lines of...the oem gy'ers were already on there way out...so not a fair comparison IMO.....I dont see how one could be that much better than the other. Go drive a brand new z06 off the showroom floor with NEW OEM goodyear tires....Ill bet you come to find they are nearly identical to these bridgestones...

I think within 1500 miles....you will again come to find that 1st gear is useless again.

I have the Invos....and while they are better.....they were WAAAAY better when I first got them (but again, I was comparing them to Gy'ers that were on there way out) now Id say they are only slightly better than the OEM tires when it comes to traction....but way better as far as comfort.

These are simply my opinions nothing more nothing less, and people looking for info on this tire realize that and will make there own informed decisions what they want to get for their next set of tires for their Z.

I can however tell you that there is NO WAY in my opinion, that brand new original GY oem run flats that came on my car, could hold a candle to the azz of these Bridestones, and I base that on going for spirited rides in my brother's 08 Z when it had 900 miles on it with brand new GY runflats, and another friends newer 2006 C6 Z in the past, as well as of course my own personal Z when it had about 60% tread life on them when I first bought the car.

Also, my reviews are right in sync. with the reviews of many others who have the same Bridgestone Runflats, along with the review I post in my thread. But then again, these are only my opinions and the opinions of several other C6 Z owners running the same tire, and is only published to give real life info to people trying to decide what tire to upgrade to when they are ready to throw on their next pair of shoes on their beloved C6 Zs!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-12-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Rez90
Great write up. How much power does your car make?
Never dynoed tuned, and minimal mods with Killer Bee/Bee Hive CAI and exhaust mods are in my sig., but I can tell you my 06 Z is FAST, and my brother who has a stock 08 Z, readily admits (and he doesn't admit to much negativity when it comes to him), that my 06 Z seems considerably more responsive than his bone stock Z, that has no traction in his first 2 gears with the his oem GY runflats on his car that only has a couple thousand miles on them with LOTS of tread left.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-12-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Welcome to the club.

I'm on my second set (two different cars though) and from the stock GY's to the Nt05's, these B-stones are just that much better than anyone of those tires with ANY amount of mileage on them.

Have you tried a 1st gear 45mph blast yet? You're going to love it!!!

Also, I guess it's the way those are built but the 06 are literally the FASTEST of all the c6 z06's. I know their lighter and all but it took me an intake/tune to match my friends stock c6 z06. I would creep on him bit little bit. He added a vararam and dead even. Crazy huh?!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by obzidian
Welcome to the club.

I'm on my second set (two different cars though) and from the stock GY's to the Nt05's, these B-stones are just that much better than anyone of those tires with ANY amount of mileage on them.

Have you tried a 1st gear 45mph blast yet? You're going to love it!!!

Also, I guess it's the way those are built but the 06 are literally the FASTEST of all the c6 z06's. I know their lighter and all but it took me an intake/tune to match my friends stock c6 z06. I would creep on him bit little bit. He added a vararam and dead even. Crazy huh?!
Wow Bro, that really makes my day to hear your positive reviews after experiencing 2 sets of these bad boys, and setting forth you opinion that these B-Stone Runflats are even better than Nitto NT-05s (which is simply mind boggling for a runflat tire)! What a technological wonder these tires appear to be!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Jimmy, congrats on the new shoes man Amazing how much it changes how the car behaves, not only in a straight line traction-wise, but I bet the car feels more planted and not as Jittery as with the GY run-craps. I bet they are quieter too.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Nice write-up. You are making me re-think my options.

Get notified of new replies

To My RAVE reviews on the Bridgestone Runflats, had NO IDEA a Runflat good grip so well!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Jimmy, congrats on the new shoes man Amazing how much it changes how the car behaves, not only in a straight line traction-wise, but I bet the car feels more planted and not as Jittery as with the GY run-craps. I bet they are quieter too.
Yes and yes and thanks Tank!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you guys saying that the Bridgestone's have more dry straightline traction than the NT-05's? If so I will definitely try these when my NT-05's are done.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 AM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The 'Stones are a great cross-country tire...and the straight line grip is way better than the GY's. (543 rwh)
I have been talking up these tires locally for almost two years now and I do not normally recommend products to others.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My RAVE reviews on the Bridgestone Runflats, had NO IDEA a Runflat good grip so well!