Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Step inside if don't think spending $2,000 on extended GMPP Warranty is worth it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Step inside if don't think spending $2,000 on extended GMPP Warranty is worth it!

This past August (3 months ago) I had an oppurtunity to extend the GMPP on my 2006 Z one last time, for a final 4 years for about $1,980 with a $50 deductible. My Z currently only has 14,800 miles on it.

Well, while changing the oil a few months ago I noticed a decent sized oil leak which looked like the oil pan gasket or front seal (its the oil pan gasket), a very small tranny leak, and my car has to be double clutched 50% of the time to get into reverse, and yes, that's even after going from 1st to 3rd. Also, even though my Z had the latest warranty recall done about a year ago with the steering wheel sensor, the car recently began throwing a very intermittent service active handling code.

Car is at the dealership now getting fixed no diagnosis on the tranny yet, and the tranny is coming out and being fully inspected this week, and I can bet you they will be putting in some new synchros at a minimum. All of this of course will be fixed for my $50 deductible and I was already told the job will easily exceed $2,000, and all work has already been approved by GMPP.

So, for those who say save your $2,000 and don't get an extended warranty usually you will not get your $ out of it, I say , as I have already surpassed the amount of my warranty with the above mentioned repairs that are taking place, just 3 months after extending my GMPP warranty one last time (for another 4 years).

For those who can get an extended GMPP warranty on their Zs, I think this is a perfect example where its a no brainer on a car like the Z, which s VERY pricey to repair, when little things go wrong as the car ages. I have owned 4 C5s also all under warranty, and on those cars the warranty always paid for itself and then some.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-13-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:48 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
This past August (3 months ago) I had an oppurtunity to extend the GMPP on my 2006 Z one last time, for a final 4 years for about $1,980 with a $50 deductible. My Z currently only has 14,800 miles on it.

Well, while changing the oil a few months ago I noticed a decent sized oil leak which looked like the oil pan gasket or front seal (its the oil pan gasket), a very small tranny leak, and my car has to be double clutched 50% of the time to get into reverse, and yes, that's even after going from 1st to 3rd. Also, even though my Z had the latest warranty recall done about a year ago with the steering wheel sensor, the car recently began throwing a very intermittent service active handling code.

Car is at the dealership now getting fixed no diagnosis on the tranny yet, and the tranny is coming out and being fully inspected this week, and I can bet you they will be putting in some new synchros at a minimum. All of this of course will be fixed for my $50 deductible and I was already told the job will easily exceed $2000, and all work has already been approved by GMPP.

So, for those who say save your $2,000 and don't get an extended warranty usually you will not get your $ out of it, I say , as I have already surpassed the amount of my warranty with the above mentioned repairs that are taking place, just 3 months after extending my GMPP warranty one last time (for another 4 years).

For those who can get an extended GMPP warranty on their Zs, I think this is a perfect example where its a no brainer on a car like the Z, which s VERY pricey to repair, when little things go wrong as the car ages. I have owned 4 C5s also all under warranty and on those cars also the warranty always paid for itself and then some.
Glad to hear that they are fixing it for you Jimmy.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't hesitate when I bought my 08 Z a few months ago. I worked at a dealership for 7 years and saw extended warranties save many people a lot of money. Luckily my car was a CPO, which allowed me to get a GMPP.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Glad to hear that they are fixing it for you Jimmy.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:38 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 11-13-2011, 07:47 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 389 Likes on 194 Posts

Engine leaks, transmission leaks, you have to double clutch it to shift.....and with only 14,000 miles?

I too, purchased a gmpp warranty recently.

I was unaware that you could extend a gmpp warranty.

I will try to extend my gmpp warranty in September of
Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Well it helps that you knew about major problems before you extended it. If the car was running perfect and never had an issue, would you still have done it? Also, 14,000 miles is nothing for an 06. Stop saving them for the next owner!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I had absolutely NO HESITATION buing the GMPP for my 06 ZO6. As I told my wife, if something goes wrong with this car, its not a trip to our usual mechanic or Munro.

I haven't had to use it yet, but I'll be taking it in for the differential fluid replacement. Based on some threads here I guess I may be due for a valve job...
Old 11-13-2011, 08:52 AM
07AOZO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 Z has 34k enthusiastic miles on it, never been in for a warranty repair. I have owned almost 50 vehicles of all types and never purchased an extended warranty, for that matter have never purchased an extended warranty on anything and never will. For the vast majority of people extended warranty only makes money for the seller, the purchaser will never use it. I choose to play the odds just like the extended warranty companies do. The warranty is great for those such as the OP and I am happy for him but for the majority of purchasers at most all they purchased is peace of mind.

Why do I have this opinion? I used to sell extended warranties and made a lot of money from them!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07AOZO6
For the vast majority of people extended warranty only makes money for the seller, the purchaser will never use it. Why do I have this opinion? I used to sell extended warranties and made a lot of money from them!
I have to respectfully disagree...

I fully realize extended warranties are a huge profit maker for companies. However, we've purchased extended warranties for some of our high ticket items.

While we didn't have much occasion to use them, when we did the cost of the parts alone on the fridge and the washer were more than enough to justifiy the purchase. I think we recouped the costs on two calls. (Had a few more in the course of the warranties but these two stand out)

Let's face it, if the engine goes on my ZO6 it willl cost much more than the $2K I spent for the warranty.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:19 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

If you keep you car for a long time past warranty it makes sense to get the GMPP. However if you trade up every few years it would not make sense.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:21 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Man, that sucks. But im glad your covered. Ive been very fortunate with my car. No such problems, and 20k miles. No more warranty.....
Old 11-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I got 32k miles and had one issue that cost me $18 to fix. $18 sounds a lot better than thousands.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 AM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

I bought mine a couple of days before my 3/36 was up last August and I had about 9k miles on my 08. I am sure it will be worth the $980 I paid just in my comfort of not worrying about a major service bill.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My warranty runs out January 29th. Am I allowed to get a gmpp after that or no? I'm still extremely undecided.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
If you keep you car for a long time past warranty it makes sense to get the GMPP. However if you trade up every few years it would not make sense.

This is really the paradigm that must be evaluated.

I'm in favor of the timely purchase of the GMPP/extensions because it is reasonably inexpensive
when compared to the value of the car and/or the potential cost of future covered repairs.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
Engine leaks, transmission leaks, you have to double clutch it to shift.....and with only 14,000 miles?

I too, purchased a gmpp warranty recently.

I was unaware that you could extend a gmpp warranty.

I will try to extend my gmpp warranty in September of
Just about 15,000 miles now.

Not bashing the car in any way it was running fine except for the fact it was a bit stubborn about 50% of the time just getting into reverse. After double clutching it, it would then go right into reverse no problem. Trans leak was minimal and the previous owner let the car sit for almost an entire year, and that is why the oil pan gasket probably sprung a leak early on.

I figured get everyhting fixed up and be ready for the spring. Other than needing a new battery this time last year the car has never stranded me or anything and has otherwise been reliable. Made this post just to show how when little things surface that the owner wants fixed how expensive it is to get these car fixed perfect. They did send out a GMPP rep. to look at the car b/f approving these repairs b/c the tranny especially will be labor intensive.

Yes, you can extend an existing GMPP 1 time, as long as its done no later than 2 months before the expiring GMPP expires, and your within a certain amount of mileage limit from the existing GMPP, (that you have not exceeded the allowable mileage, but not sure the exact forumula but its reasonable).

Thanks for the well wishes gentleman.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-13-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Step inside if don't think spending $2,000 on extended GMPP Warranty is worth it!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:43 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 07AOZO6
My 07 Z has 34k enthusiastic miles on it, never been in for a warranty repair. I have owned almost 50 vehicles of all types and never purchased an extended warranty, for that matter have never purchased an extended warranty on anything and never will. For the vast majority of people extended warranty only makes money for the seller, the purchaser will never use it. I choose to play the odds just like the extended warranty companies do. The warranty is great for those such as the OP and I am happy for him but for the majority of purchasers at most all they purchased is peace of mind.

Why do I have this opinion? I used to sell extended warranties and made a lot of money from them!
While I agree with you to a certain extent, I did buy a GMPP for my '08 last August. I plan on keeping the Z for a while and just didn't want to take a chance. If I don't keep it, I believe it will be easier to sell with an extended warranty in place. I guess everybody will have to decide if an extended warranty makes financial sense to them.
Glad it worked out for you Mopar.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:53 PM
thumperZ06
Great State of Utah
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default Risk

IMO its a matter of how much risk one wants to take. I purchased my 2006 Z06 and have had a few warranty issues that were taken care of by my dealership. It comes down to what makes you feel comforted in the event of some failure and are you willing to pay the premiums or foot the bill for a repair.

ThumperZ06
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Sounds like a good move on your part.

Best of luck getting your car fixed properly and timely.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Step inside if don't think spending $2,000 on extended GMPP Warranty is worth it!