Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Now the decision: run flat or no run flat

Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Now the decision: run flat or no run flat

I finally got my comp gray rims and new sensors to replace the chromes and the GY OEM's, but still can't decide on tires. Now I am starting to think about the idea of going with non run flats like the early ZO6's did. I still read so many negatives on run flats (all brands) that it has me thinking. (The two run flats I have been thinking about are Michelin PS2 and Bridgestones.) What is the general opinion here of non run flats on the ZO6 and what would you choose if you went that way? I really want to get these rims on but want to make the right tire choice. I keep hearing non run flats have better ride, are a lot quieter and are a much better price point. No track for this car, by the way.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I don't see any negatives with run flats, just the Goodyear runflats. I have the Bridgestone RE050A RFT on my 09 Z06 and have driven it as hard as most people on this forum. Better traction then the Goodyears, quieter then the Goodyears, Ride about the same, but don't follow the ruts all over the place like the Goodyears.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:09 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Switched to non run flats last summer on my 06 and will never go back to run flats. Like you said, they are quieter, cost less, longer tread life, straight line traction just as good and no tramlining. I went with General Exclaim UHP but they don't make them any more for the Z06, so I'm not sure what I will go with when these wear out, but they will definitely be non run flat. The only disadvantage (to some) is you lose a little performance in the corners, but if you don't track the car then it's a non issue.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't see any negatives with run flats, just the Goodyear runflats. I have the Bridgestone RE050A RFT on my 09 Z06 and have driven it as hard as most people on this forum. Better traction then the Goodyears, quieter then the Goodyears, Ride about the same, but don't follow the ruts all over the place like the Goodyears.
The Bridgestone Runflats are a GREAT tire for the street and are a huge improvment over the stock Goodyears. For a street car which mine is also, its an easy decision, the BStones Runflats, give me GREAT peace of mind, and are an EXCELLENT overall tire for the street! They also should last you at least 20,000 miles with normal driving and some high spirted driving mixed in, and they will cost you about $1,800 installed out the door.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-07-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:33 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,491 Likes on 2,589 Posts

On non-runflats, if you are willing to wait until mid-February, M will be coming out with Pilot SuperSports for the rear in 325/30-19 and 345/30-19. They already make 275 and 285/35-18 for the front.

From a cost standpoint on run-flats, the Bridgestones seem to be very well regarded on this Forum.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Also went with general uhf non run flats, got a steal off a guy who had just bought them and was returning a lease,they forced him to put runflats so i picked up all 4 tires for $700.I would never go back to the original good years.Awesome traction and handling much softer and much quieter ride.These tires are so good.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Do you travel long distances or in locations where a getting tow or finding a replacement tire would be difficult? DO you drive in areas where a puncture is likely? If yes, get a runflat.

If not, save the money, get a non-runflat and put part of the difference toward a AAA membership and/or a compressor/plug kit.

Me? I went the non-runflat route. The extra cost just didn't seem worth the benefit to me.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't usually travel far with this this car. My big fear would be maybe shredding a tire and trashing a rim, and or losing handling capabilities.( Some dealers still say NO non run flats on these cars) Best price I have from a local Florida dealer on the ZP's are 2180. out the door if I decided to go that way which is cheaper than TR etc. I still keep considering the Bridgestones but read some really bad reviews on other sites like the BMW sites and like others here if its only 4 or 5 hundred difference then I would probably get the Michelins. I am interested in the SS tires but hate to wait until February or so while looking at these new wheels in the garage. Yikes.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You'd have to do something pretty special to completely shred a tire to the point you'd be on the rim of the wheel. With the TPMS, you'll know pretty quick if you get a puncture so pulling over right away shouldn't be hard.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 PM
palindrome1H
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ditched the run-flats on mine recently and I am very glad I did. I get such better traction from digs. On a side note, (not trying to hijack your thread OP, figure you may want to know as well) what is the best way to repair a tire if you are in the middle of nowhere, away from a tow? I heard some people using that air bladder that you hook up to your exhaust, it inflates it while under your car, lifting your car. Has anyone seen or used that? If so, is it more easily stored than a jack?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:08 PM
miwitte
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the same situation and am on the fence. For me it comes down to being stranded or not. I like to take the car up to the mountains, and if you got a flat up there, you cannot pull off anywhere on some of the roads. Also I take the car on client visits in north and south Carolina and there are a lot of back roads I am on that i wouldn't want to be stuck on especially at night. I know you can get sealers or use a plug but honestly putting a plug in a tire is not a small feat especially if its raining, your in a suit etc...

I am not one to be doing 5000 RPM launches and 1.2 G turns, been there done that I just want a reliable vehicle i can drive to a customer, take my wife away, and not worry about anything. That is why i bought a stock Z06 not a modified 600HP beast

I will more than likely got the Bridgestone route they are only maybe 4-500 more than the Invo's. We all have 40-50k cars so 400 is really not too much. I have heard from others that the Bridgestones are very similar in traction, handling and noise as the Invo's. Obviously anything is an improvement over the GY they are super scary now that its getting cold. Been sideways a bunch lately!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I was in the same position a year ago. Mind you, in my C5 days I always ran non- runflats. But today's choices are a lot better. I put Michelin ZPs on my car and I'm very satisfied. I have no doubt that non-runflats would still be better, but the ZP's are good enough that I am pleased with them and still have the benefit of runflats.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

From the responses, I think a lot of people go directly from the OE Goodyear runflats to another brand of tire in a non run flat design. They are comparing two different brands of tires along with two different designs(run flat vs non run flat) and then drawing a conclusion based on the fact that they didn't evaluate a different brand of tire in a run flat.

To really draw a reasonable conclusion they should at least evaluate a run flat tire in the same brand that they selected for their non run flat tire, or compare a Michelin run flat or a Bridgestone run flat against the Goodyear runflat.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I ditched the runflats. On the 2003 C5 I had before the C6Z I ran the C5Z size tire, got 45K out of a set of Michelin PS2's. I put on over 73,000 miles in 5 years on the non runflats and never had a problem, I did pick up 5 nails and screws over the years but the tire always sealed around the object. Like the C5Z, I carried a plug kit and compressor.

Currently I am running Michelin PS2's 293/35-18 and 345/30-19. I love them, and I do drive the car coast to coast. Last April I put on a set of the Goodyear Gen 2's and when I returned home from my little trip (10,360 miles) the rear tires were bald. 20,000 miles in 6 months (and 4 track days) and the tires are gone. I'm done with runflats.

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 12-07-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i finally bought a set of the stones...haven't driven on them yet ...on my c5 i went to non runflats....back then i was more willing to pull a nail and install a plug...now i like being able to drive with zero pressure and get where i am going without the hassel af fixing a flat... i like the gy run flats ...when new [ fresh] they are a very good tire...after about 5k not so much...non run flats are certainly less expensive and feel a whole lot different...i do not think the turn in is as good and they are much softer...i will see how the stones are and my two biggest hopes for them is wear and noise...for track use a dedicated set of track wheels/tires is mandatory..
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I have the Michelin ps2zps. Great tire, no negatives for me. 21,000 miles and looks good for 30,000. This offsets the slighty greater cost.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

In my experience with regular street cars the radial tires disintegrate quickly in a blow out. If you get non runflats are you likely to ruin a fender if you have a rapid loss of air.

Get notified of new replies

To Now the decision: run flat or no run flat

Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I ditched the runflats. On the 2003 C5 I had before the C6Z I ran the C5Z size tire, got 45K out of a set of Michelin PS2's. I put on over 73,000 miles in 5 years on the non runflats and never had a problem, I did pick up 5 nails and screws over the years but the tire always sealed around the object. Like the C5Z, I carried a plug kit and compressor.

Currently I am running Michelin PS2's 293/35-18 and 345/30-19. I love them, and I do drive the car coast to coast. Last April I put on a set of the Goodyear Gen 2's and when I returned home from my little trip (10,360 miles) the rear tires were bald. 20,000 miles in 6 months (and 4 track days) and the tires are gone. I'm done with runflats.

I know the C5Z didn't come with runflats but did it have the pressure sensors?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i finally bought a set of the stones...haven't driven on them yet ...on my c5 i went to non runflats....back then i was more willing to pull a nail and install a plug...now i like being able to drive with zero pressure and get where i am going without the hassel af fixing a flat... i like the gy run flats ...when new [ fresh] they are a very good tire...after about 5k not so much...non run flats are certainly less expensive and feel a whole lot different...i do not think the turn in is as good and they are much softer...i will see how the stones are and my two biggest hopes for them is wear and noise...for track use a dedicated set of track wheels/tires is mandatory..
Old 12-08-2011, 05:12 AM
BOTTLEFED440LSX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hated the road noise from my stock run flats. When it came time for new tires I installed the nitro invo's and LOVE them!! Can't beat the price, and I got caught in the rain 1 time and not one issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Now the decision: run flat or no run flat