Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 10.71 130.32 -- New Record Pass by Bone-Stock C6 Z06 on Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:46 AM
turbolou
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reply

Post this in the ZR-1 section so them snobs over there can read it.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:11 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

A technical question please. Was that burnout on cold (ambient) tires, or was that a 'warm' lap on semi heated tires? 2nd gear or first? Have you ever checked the tire temp post burnout with an infrared temp gun?

The burnout was relatively short in duration, compared to my standard, thus my question. I am thinking I may try a shorter burnout to keep some heat out of my clutch.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolou
Post this in the ZR-1 section so them snobs over there can read it.
PM sent!
Out of respect for rangers abilitys and my general passion for corvettes!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all the generous comments, gents.

It's an honor to have the opportunity to show the capabilities that GM engineers, Wixom master craftsmen, GM Powertrain and BG plant workers have designed and built into the LS7 and Z06. As Kyle Lemish has done with the LS9 and ZR1.

And our particular drag strip passes have the credibility of time slips, video, audio, and eye witness accounts, as well as probing eyes and hands that "inspected" the cars. Bone-stock means bone-stock.

On the trip to Maryland from Florida, my 2006 Z06's interior was cubed out with track gear (including the drag radials) and audio/video equipment but still managed to deliver 28.5 mpg. Amazing.

Unload the gear and strap on the DRs and she ran well into the 10s. Zora is smiling.

My car dynos 455 rwhp SAE on a very well calibrated SuperFlo. Normal stock LS7 power. Definitely not a ringer.

Driver Mod, understanding the racing surface, and running in excellent track and weather conditions make for fast times. The confluence of those factors doesn't occur randomly.

But rest assured that any stock C6 Z06 is capable of producing similar ETs/Traps in the same circumstances. Every Z06 owner and those who designed and built the cars can take pride in that.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Good to hear you are back in the saddle John, and congrats on the awesome passes! Good to hear from you again on the forum.
Thanks, Everett.

Hoping very much to hook up with you at Track Attack 2012 (?). We have some catching up to do.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Mike Siska
Melting Slicks

Good to see you post John. I hear Afghanistan is still a hellhole. Wish I could have been there sunday.

And Congrats! Awesome Time!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by D-Rod
It was an honor to witness sir! Thank you for all your advice for my passes. You are truely a class act.
Glad you could make the trip to MIR, D-Rod. Thanks too to your dad for his assistance in making the day move smoothly for the racers.

Was a pleasure to witness your progress on the Driver Mod adventure. Already, now at #2 on the Fast List in your "internal engine mods plus bolt-ons" category. 10.14 is a significant accomplishment that is, for you, a way station on the pursuit of 9s.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Congrats on a great pass Ranger. I'm not sure who was more shocked when that lit up on the board but fantastic doesnt even describe it. Maybe Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?
Great that you were there, Fartpipe, to bear witness and coach. Thanks for all that you did to help. And the color you add to the equation is always appreciated.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by screaminchevy
130 trap speed seems CRAZY to me on a stock Z!! was there any weight taken out of the car, just curious?
My car is full stock weight. Ran just about 7 gallons of fuel at the start of the day.

Put the car on the scale before first pass wearing drag radials and the stock fronts; it weighed 3250 pounds with driver, helmet, cell phone, a 23-ounce water bottle and normal pocket litter.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 07:51 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Congrats John. Stellar driving. Thanks for putting this together. Your assistance and observations at the line were greatly appreciated. It's amazing how much "stuff" you can pack into your car for that long trip. Your attention to detail and preparedness is astounding. This is a pearl of wisdom for all who seek to extract the most from their setups. Thanks for unselfishly assisting the entire Corvette Community by providing tutelage for those who seek knowledge. Knowledge is Power. The last couple weeks of racing have been enjoyable to which I say thanks.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kyle Lemish
Congrats RANGER! Glad I was there to see it! Thanks for putting it all together....Another perfect day at MIR!
Thanks, Kyle. I watched history made as you took your ZR1 stock/DR record from 10.56 to 10.33. simply amazing. At 300 passes in ZR1s, you are poetry behind that wheel.

Joley captured your 10.37 pass and the audio will set your adrenaline pumping.

Shooting for one more rental before Christmas. Stay tuned.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
...I don't suppose I could convince you to post up a screen shot of the HP Tuners scan? Much could be learned by informed forum members to see how you execute....as shown on the graphs.

Joe
p.s. I ran the trip calc as well...1014 miles, 16 hours. Hmmm.
Thanks, Joe.

I logged about 20 passes in 2006 trying to figure out what the LS7 was doing in response to my driver actions with the clutch and throttle. Having digested those data points, I didn't have a further need. I concluded that Torque Management helps mitigate wheel spin on launch and the 1-2 shift and that coolant and air inlet temps matter.

From that point on, I learned to calibrate driving techniques by analyzing time slips and studying in-car video.

Regarding the trek to MIR...mine was 850 miles. Another participant was about 750. Keep that in mind for next year.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 AM
checkmate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
T

Ranger
Please let me know when, hopefully it will fall on a day I'm not working.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by walterm32
Damn. Thats incredible. I thought your last PB would stand up forever. Congrats
Thanks, Mike. Friendly competition tends to propel the numbers lower. Think mid-10.6s is the achievable bottom just requires conjunction of the forces involved.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Congrats on the new record Ranger. Fantastic driving. Hate I couldn't make it.
We missed you, Ricky. Next year.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
...On the 4 or 5 occasions over the last 8 years where I was fortunate enough to be at the track at the same time as Ranger, his car (be it his C5 Z06 or his C6 Z06) was always run at full weight...passenger seat still in, full size front wheels/tires, the whole nine yards.
Thanks for attesting to that, Marc, and for your kind words.

What usually holds the doubters and naysayers in check is witnesses who've followed a driver over the years and had many occasions to examine the car and watch and listen it make passes.

Ranger
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
Stunning! Did the DVD ever get finished?
Gary
Thanks, 40YRW8. Filming is complete. Project is in post-production. Unfortunately, the work remaining is all on me.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 12-14-2011 at 04:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 10.71 130.32 -- New Record Pass by Bone-Stock C6 Z06 on Drag Radials

Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

My car is full stock weight. Ran just about 7 gallons of fuel at the start of the day.

Put the car on the scale before first pass wearing drag radials and the stock fronts; it weighed 3250 pounds with driver, helmet, cell phone, a 23-ounce water bottle and normal pocket litter.

Ranger
That's a really good race weight !!!!
I'm 225 lbs all by myself......so I'm thinking I'd need some fancy Katech carbon fiber pieces and some titanium bolts from Gary (40YRW8), plus maybe one of those new lithium-ion battery's, to hit a 3250 lbs total weight. Of course, I've never put my car on a calibrated scale (2006 model) and I also have some Dynamat and a custom stereo onboard as well.

Or, maybe my pudgy behind needs to hit the gym more often then Taco Bell so I can shed race weight that way.....yep, driver mod wins again
Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 AM
F1restart3r
Advanced

I really wish I had known about this. I probably would have shown up for the party. Way to row.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats on the new best.
Let me know about the rental if you are going to allow steet tires to run.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 10.71 130.32 -- New Record Pass by Bone-Stock C6 Z06 on Drag Radials